Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
ShimmerJester
If Beauty Could Kill

Exclamation Cosplay Bullying- Cosplay is for everyone

Hi guys,

I wanted to share with you all, something that is close to my heart and probably too allot of you "bullying" in cosplay. I have decided to make a video petition to say "No" to trolls and people bullying people at conventions.

I have been cosplaying since 2004 in Australia, as the years went on and conventions started to get a bit more mainstreams people think it is okay and it is their right to go up to cosplayers or on their pages to say very negative things. Cosplay is suppose to be fun and for everyone

I have seen great cosplayers give up, newer cosplayers been told "your ugly" right to their faces, I am normally a person that just ignores it and go about my business but I can't anymore.

If anyone is interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZQAD...ature=youtu.be that is the link to the video, I am calling all cosplayers, whether your new, old or just love cosplay make a video too, I will post it on my page and let's get the message out there, that cosplay is FOR EVERYONE!!!

I hope you guys can take part, I do not know how else to get the message out there

Love you guys
Thank you
ShimmerJester is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
BiohazardBeauty
Moved to LadyChernobyl

Very good video. I gave it a like

I can relate to it so much. Especially lately. I haven't done any new cosplays or continued others because of all the bullying and negativity lately. Burnt me out :/
BiohazardBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I have been seeing it a lot lately too or elite cosplayers that downgrade others because their outfit is not as elite. I am seeing this a lot from Lolita now too sadly. We had a huge problem with those types in the SCA.. some call it a history dictator that nit picks everything that is not up to their historically accurate code. Not all SCA are like that but I have seen a trend of more sneaking into the SCA just to troll like that and steampunk they are moving into as well even though its not meant to be accurate. Not everyone is at the same level of creation and many like myself cant do it for medical reasons like my hands are pretty bad. I have seen a trend of more and more "Elites" as they claim to be beating on the new people. This is not how we keep the whole thing going. It is how we chase new people away.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

Its just not about being called ugly, its about how other cosplayers and people treat you. I have had been accused of trolling of a facebook group page for a convention near me when i was not. Name calling as well; Also when the mods came around the trolls/bullies would act innocent or their responses would not be breaking any of the rules.
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I was wondering where Kuroki Neko went off to..

With any hobby that garners the attention of others it will inventively create a void of assfaces. In this void, or black hole, of assfaces more will be born from the original parents, much like how a lizard may regrow it's tail if it is lost by predators so will more assfaces bloom into existence. The problem is, you cannot get to close to a blackhole without being sucked into it and lost for all eternity. The best everyone else can do is try to build a giant brick wall around the blackhole and give it dirty looks until it goes away.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I admit I have met some really nice people at conventions too. The really bad ones are usually outside the convention as they know inside we will all gang up on anyone that bullies another of us. I seen ti happen before. Not in a violent bad way but in a shame on you for doing that to one of us way. Also convention personnel will quickly remove the offender

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:

Lolita:

Anime:
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
C0rvu51nku8a3
Best chin on Cosplay.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
Its just not about being called ugly, its about how other cosplayers and people treat you. I have had been accused of trolling of a facebook group page for a convention near me when i was not. Name calling as well; Also when the mods came around the trolls/bullies would act innocent or their responses would not be breaking any of the rules.
That's why it's important to take screenshots
C0rvu51nku8a3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

A friend of mine recently had two photos of her posted on a Tumblr called "Shitty Cosplay." In response they created a Facebook group called Cosplayers Against "Bad Cosplay" Blogs. So far we use it to alert about such blogs so the mods get a flood of reports about them.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice MacLeod View Post
I admit I have met some really nice people at conventions too. The really bad ones are usually outside the convention as they know inside we will all gang up on anyone that bullies another of us. I seen ti happen before. Not in a violent bad way but in a shame on you for doing that to one of us way. Also convention personnel will quickly remove the offender
Most of what i see in terms of harassment and general asshattery happens online. Because people are chickenshits in real life and have to go online to drop their turds on everybody.

I met a wonderfully nice and super gorgeous cosplayer at Youmacon while taking the tram who admitted that she was told she was 'too fat too cosplay'.

People will always have something to say and they're always wrong.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Swiftstart

mmm~ this is a good thing.

The most blatant bullying I've faced wasn't even out and out; it was just general snobbery. It was a small key cosplay meetup in my area and so my sister and I wore a simple but comfortable cosplays rather than one of my flashier ones because of time/weather/it was out doors/etc. And this one group. Ugh. I'd gone over to talk to them cause two of them were dressed from a fandom I like and they just talked down on my sister and I. While they didn't expressly state anything it was in the way they spoke/body language, and such. And they said nasty things about other cosplayers who were out of earshot while practically worshipping each other. And the whole time all I could think was 'if I had worn my Raven you'd be all over me like I was some super shiny gem'
the irony just baffles me.
Like how entirely different treatment you can be given just based on what you wear for the day.
People can be srsly snobbish buttheads.
Unread 12-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

God ya I have run into a lot of snobby types lately and ya most of the bullying will be online because most are cowards in real life and don't have the guts to do it to your face. Also a lot are actually jealous that you had the guts to do a cosplay they most likely wanted to do or really like.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:

Lolita:

Anime:
Unread 12-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
NaughtsApproach

lucky for me i have not really run into to many bullies...at least i havent seen anything. i try not to go look for the negativity attached to my costumes, and i guaranty that my pics are out there with people bashing them. but there will always be someone who doesnt like you an feels the need to comment on that.

Most of the time i do run into the snobs though...
(i really hope this comment doesn't backfire on me, please don't be cruel to me)
I will however put these snobs in their place, especially if their cosplays do not live up to their level of snobbery. I accept everyone in cosplay. i dont care if you are big little, tall short, or what level your craftsmanship is. But if you think your the greatest thing since sliced bread and are a big snob about it, your cosplay best stand up to that. These kinds of people are the only types i will comment on their craftsmanship skills.

I know one girl who honestly thinks she is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and if people don't agree well they are idiots and obviously out to get her. she expects to win every award she goes out for because she is just that awesome, and throws a bit of a fit if she doesn't win.

I honestly believe these types of people are just as bad as the bullies, because their ego must be fulfilled even at the cost of the feelings of their fellow cosplayers. For instance, if anyone at all comments about her body she throws a fit. They are horrible people and should never say anything like that to someone. (she is indeed a larger girl, i have no problem with that) but then she turns right around shaming and calling girls horrible names if they are smaller than her, calling them attention whores and sluts. because obviously if you are an thin attractive girl you cant possibly be a real cosplayer and must only be in it for attention and boys.

Western CO Cosplay group

:Website:
http://futagocosplay.wix.com/futagocosplay

:FaceBook page:
http://www.facebook.com/WeAreFutagoCosplay

Take a look at our pages!<3

OR My personal business page for any interest in Commissions
http://www.facebook.com/allisonsCustomCostumes
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
ShimmerJester
If Beauty Could Kill

I agree with everyone, people hide behind their screens online. We are all humans and all have feelings, it is sad and pathetic people think they are better than someone else and just being plain rude!

With people being snobs in cosplay it is sad and annoying. Too me no matter if your starting out or your been doing for agers. You still put on your pants one pants hole at a time! I know it is human nature to have a gossip too hear what others have to say about someone, it can make use feel better about our own life even.

But these days it goes to far, to the point of people killing themselves over it or self harming or giving up their passion. Too me if your passionate about it, do it and do it to the best of your abilities.

Just want too say thank you for your support and the likes on my page and on my clip, I know this won't change the world or stop all the trolls, but it may just make a select few stop and realise we are all humans.
ShimmerJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
triguncat25
Bubble Pop Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtsApproach View Post
lucky for me i have not really run into to many bullies...at least i havent seen anything. i try not to go look for the negativity attached to my costumes, and i guaranty that my pics are out there with people bashing them. but there will always be someone who doesnt like you an feels the need to comment on that.

Most of the time i do run into the snobs though...
(i really hope this comment doesn't backfire on me, please don't be cruel to me)
I will however put these snobs in their place, especially if their cosplays do not live up to their level of snobbery. I accept everyone in cosplay. i dont care if you are big little, tall short, or what level your craftsmanship is. But if you think your the greatest thing since sliced bread and are a big snob about it, your cosplay best stand up to that. These kinds of people are the only types i will comment on their craftsmanship skills.

I know one girl who honestly thinks she is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and if people don't agree well they are idiots and obviously out to get her. she expects to win every award she goes out for because she is just that awesome, and throws a bit of a fit if she doesn't win.

I honestly believe these types of people are just as bad as the bullies, because their ego must be fulfilled even at the cost of the feelings of their fellow cosplayers. For instance, if anyone at all comments about her body she throws a fit. They are horrible people and should never say anything like that to someone. (she is indeed a larger girl, i have no problem with that) but then she turns right around shaming and calling girls horrible names if they are smaller than her, calling them attention whores and sluts. because obviously if you are an thin attractive girl you cant possibly be a real cosplayer and must only be in it for attention and boys.
Wow she is delusional and obviously is not completely comfortable in her won skin. I mean seriously, she sounds like a bonafide hater haha!!
triguncat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
axemnas

Considering I'm brand new to cosplay and have never really been to any con or anything as of yet so I feel a bit out of place though I thought I'd comment anyways. I've noticed bullies and snobs in a lot of other things I've done over the years however. With my visual impairment it's not hard to attract them either. I find it a shame that people just give up because of people like that. One thing I've learned over the years is shrug it off the best you can and/or turn the comment around. Which reminds me of when I was in high school and my class mates would rub it in that they got their license. I'd just turn it right around and say well at least I don't have to pay insurance. I probably learned how to really ignore that stuff because of my grandmother but, yeah.
It's interesting to hear that I might run into more people like that when I go to cons and things. Oh well. Though now that I think about it I remember a few people around me at a Renaissance faire I went to. (my costume confused people)
So far I've been lucky enough to run into nice cosplayers around my school.
I'll watch the video and like your page as soon as I get a better internet connection.

░████░░████░
░█░░█░░█░░█░ Put This
░████░░████░ On Your Signature
░█░█░░░█░░░░ If You Role-play
░█░░█░░█░░░░
axemnas is offline   Reply With Quote