Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
mikothejin

Worst thing that happened during a con

I posted this thread because:
1. I want to help whatever I can
2. I want to let other people share what they've been through

I'll go first...

When I was at my first con, me and my friend went to video game heaven with all those games we played for free. Me and her were having the time of our lives playing Persona. After I beat her out of pure beginner's luck, we saw a Legend of Korra cosplay and we immediately said, "PICTURE TIME", I went into my bag to look for her phone, but couldn't find it. I searched frantically for that phone and my friend was already in tears and all I could do was go around asking booth people if they had seen anyone pick up something, I even went to the emcee to have her announce it and she just said, "Kid, do you think anyone's gonna return an Iphone? Do you?" so I never found it, but me and her are still cool =)) how about you guys?
mikothejin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Elita-1
Dat supersaiyan swagger

Last con I really REALLY wanted to meet Gary Chalk and had missed out on not only his panels but his autograph sessions as well. Bummed out, I was sure I'd missed my chance when later in the day I saw him walking past me down the hall. I did this awkward shuffle thing toward him just starting to ask him if I could maybe take a picture with him when he looked at me and pulled a face, a lips turned down showing teeth with wide eyes kind of face. I immediately shuffled back, sure that look meant something along the lines of 'get the hell away from me, goddamn'
It wasn't until about a minute later I realized he was probably pulling a face at my disgusting battle damage makeup in jest rather than what I originally thought.
So embarassing AND I missed out on getting a pic with him.

~There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life. ~
Elita-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Blood_Sword
The samuraiholic guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikothejin View Post
When I was at my first con, me and my friend went to video game heaven with all those games we played for free. Me and her were having the time of our lives playing Persona. After I beat her out of pure beginner's luck, we saw a Legend of Korra cosplay and we immediately said, "PICTURE TIME", I went into my bag to look for her phone, but couldn't find it. I searched frantically for that phone and my friend was already in tears and all I could do was go around asking booth people if they had seen anyone pick up something, I even went to the emcee to have her announce it and she just said, "Kid, do you think anyone's gonna return an Iphone? Do you?" so I never found it, but me and her are still cool =)) how about you guys?
Well, I lost my camera at a con last year and someone had picked it up and given it to the con's information desk so I got it back. There are some good people out there, they are quite rare but they do exist. Just wanted to say that.

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Luxray (gijinka) - Pokémon
Souji Okita (SSL) - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Kitacon (1-2 March 2014)
SAT Keisuke Sannan - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SUN Gin Ichimaru - Bleach
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Sword View Post
Well, I lost my camera at a con last year and someone had picked it up and given it to the con's information desk so I got it back. There are some good people out there, they are quite rare but they do exist. Just wanted to say that.
I can attest to that. I lost my phone (an iPhone, coincidentally) twice this past weekend at Sugoicon, and the booths I'd lost them at had held onto them for me. I also lost my badge at Sugoicon last year, and didn't notice until I'm guessing it was long gone, then my friends made me go with them to get a bite to eat instead of looking for it. When I finally got back and went to Con Ops, someone had turned it in.

So yeah. There are good people at conventions. :3
Possible 2015 conventions: Sakura-con, A-Kon
https://www.facebook.com/riceballcosplay
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Shirayuki~Chan

Well ruining a part of your cosplay really sucks- especially if it's on the first day of a con! I worked really hard on my horns for Aradia- it was my first cosplay I did 100 percent by myself and I was really proud of them! Even drilled them into my wig to make it more realistic! And what do I do as I'm leaving the convention?

I ran to my car because it was cold outside, open the door, and sit down but my horns get caught on the door so it pulls up my wig and my horns get a big freaking fissure in them. Thankfully I brought adhesive glue and managed to put them back together, but I couldn't figure out how to screw them back into my wig so they were all wobbly the next day... sigh. I was so depressed.

Cosplays:
Tycho Science- Diebuster
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones

Shirayuki~Chan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

A friend of mine with a severe peanut allergy went into anaphilactic (sp) shock after some kid with a peanuty chocolate bar sneezed on her.. This was about 20 minutes after she got her admission badge.. she spent the rest of the weekend in the hospital.. the convention wouldn't give her even a partial refund.
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
NeonGenki
Wait A Macaroni Minute...

not really a worst thing but a worst time
ugh, once i went with a large group of people to a convention and all of them practically spent the entire time in the hotel room watching anime that everyone had already watched and its like 'wtf we spend all this money to watch re-runs?' and then when they did go out of the hotel room none of them wanted to go to any of the panels. Lamest convention ever and all I can say is be careful who you choose to go in a group with

Last edited by NeonGenki : 11-18-2012 at 07:37 PM.
NeonGenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGenki View Post
not really a worst thing but a worst time
ugh, once i went with a large group of people to a convention and all of them practically spent the entire time in the hotel room watching anime that everyone had already watched and its like 'wtf we spend all this money to watch re-runs?' and then when they did go out of the hotel room none of them wanted to go to any of the panels. Lamest convention ever and all I can say is be careful who you choose to go in a group with
Not really the worse for me too, but I had a similar situation at a con a year ago. Spent a lot of time just hanging around a hotel room, instead of doing panels or wandering around. Then on Sunday there was a concert I wanted to go to, but friends all wanted to eat, so I missed about half of it :/
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
belligerent
Viking Metal

I just would like to point out that most of the things in this thread are pretty minor and you should count your lucky stars that the worst thing that's happened to you is losing your phone or missing a concert. You can get another phone and there will always be another concert you could go see.

The peanut thing sounds horrifying, though, especially since it wasn't her fault at all. Peanut allergies are no joke.

My group had a pretty serious medical emergency at yaoicon this year (there wasn't a hospital involved, but it got close. We did get paramedics to come). I'll spare you the gory details. Thank goodness for friends staying at the con hotel who were better prepared than we were and used to dealing with medical emergencies...otherwise I'm not sure what would have happened. One of the scariest nights of my life, and I wasn't even the one going through it.

The incident taught me to be much better prepared, just in case something bad happens, and that staying at the con hotel is a good idea, even if you could get a better deal elsewhere.

Before that, the worst thing to happen to me personally was that when I went to check in for my flight to Fanime, the website told me it didn't exist...because I had somehow made it a day before I wanted to, and it had already taken off... After trying to get hold of Delta customer service for over an hour and a half (I finally used skype with a headset and was able to hear the other person), it cost me another $600 to get a flight out there. The kicker was that this happened on my birthday. THANKS A LOT, LIFE.

The moral of that story is that ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ITINERARIES before the day you thought your flight was. Holy shit.

Previous to that, a year ago, I was headed out to yaoicon. I was supposed to leave early from work that day, since I had a flight that would be tough to make. I still had to pack a few things. Well, my work lead ended up needing more from me and I wound up staying over an hour later than I'd planned on leaving. I knew I was going to cut it close to making my flight.

You know how they always tell you when you're late for a flight, not to speed because you'll get pulled over and miss your flight?

Yeah, they are telling the truth, so GDI don't drive like an idiot.

I don't know how much that wound up costing me in lawyer fees and driving classes, but it drove home that it's not worth driving recklessly just to make a flight to a dumb anime con. If I had missed my flight, since I had checked in, I still could have gotten the same one the next day that I wound up getting....and if I hadn't been pulled over, I probably would have made the flight.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Denmark
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Bought a button for $5, and lost it within 5 minutes. Backtracked and everything. );
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Kaito Yashio -Robotics; Notes (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Gai - Guilty Crown (Katsucon 2014, Completed)
Shu Ouma - Guilty Crown (Katsucon 2014, Dropped)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
NeonGenki
Wait A Macaroni Minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx7879 View Post
Not really the worse for me too, but I had a similar situation at a con a year ago. Spent a lot of time just hanging around a hotel room, instead of doing panels or wandering around. Then on Sunday there was a concert I wanted to go to, but friends all wanted to eat, so I missed about half of it :/
that sucks, but at least you got to eat out, everyone wanted to be super cheap and just brought just ramen to eat for the whole weekend and I don't eat ramen, makes me sick, so I had to go out on my own and eat since no one wanted to come with me.
and to blow off a little steam about the whole thing I'll say, if your able to buy stuff like grab-bags then don't you have some money to spend on actual food.
NeonGenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
Lemon-Squeezy

So, I was going to go to Otakon for the first a few years ago. Like 06 or 07, I don't remember. And on Thursday my purse was stolen. Cellphone, Wallet, everything. Yep. Luckily at this point I didn't have a bank card and my ssc I keep at home. But yeah, I never got to go to the con that weekend.

Kastucon 2014
Austrian Succession Spain
Cowboy America

Otakon 2014
Daenerys Targaryen
Austrian Succession Spain
Mistral - .hack
Kofuku - Noragami
Lemon-Squeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
Asa Gohan
Broke College Student

Finished my sword right before the con, decided to do a quick coat of topcoat gloss. My boyfreidn put it on the roof of the car to finish drying

So we get on the freeway, and we all look at each other and ask...where is the sword?

Yes, it was left on the top of the car and we drove off. Thankfully I already saw the humor in it when it happened. Later one of my friends saw it in the driveway, mostly in one piece. Thankfully I found out later that it doesn't meet con weapons requirements...so I was totally non heartbroken.

LESSON: DO NOT PUT CRAP ON TOP OF CAR>

Anime Expo 2014
Duo Maxwell
Kenshin Himura
Pinkie Pie
Asa Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
SA2R
King of the Skies

Hmm the worst I can think of is a case of almost losing a wallet.
My sister and I were checking out a booth in the artist alley. My sister found something she wanted bought it, and we then headed to the dealer's room. In the dealer's room my sister turned to me and said "Can I have my wallet back?"
I replied "Why would I have your wallet?" She patted herself down, and said "No I gave it to you in the artist alley...didn't I?" I explained to her that I didn't have her wallet, nor do I remember her giving it to me. She then told me that she remembered handing it to a person with black fingerless gloves. I lifted my hand to show her that my gloves were black, but were very much NOT fingerless. She had the biggest look of panic. So we rushed back to the table where she handed it off to some random person. Lucky for us the person was an honest soul, and gave it to the table in case we came back. To be honest, I don't consider the anime community to be that honest...So I consider ourselves VERY lucky.

My sister has a bunch of attention disorders, so I should have been watching over her when it came to purchases~ I blame myself actually.

Prince Ludwig...........ルードヴィッヒ革命
Takuto Tsunashi...........STAR DRIVER
Haruto...........Valvrave the Liberator
Leddo................Suisei no Gargantia
Red Mist.........................KICK-ASS
Rui....................Gatchaman Crowds
Yukine.............................Noragami
Hoozuki..............Hoozuki no reitetsu
Ringabel...................Bravely default

( ´ ▽ ` )v

Last edited by SA2R : 11-19-2012 at 07:40 PM.
SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
Lt. Crunch

I had a massive panic attack and passed out at NakaKon last year. Con staff was awesome though, and helped me out a lot. I'm pretty lucky that that's been my worst experience.

In-Progress: Aigis (Persona 3)

Future: Alice Malvin (Pumpkin Scissors)

Future Cons: Anime Nebraskon 2013
Lt. Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote