Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 11-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
trig009

Odered my Canon 5D Mk3

I finally was able to order my Canon 5D Mk3. It was a struggle to choose between that ans the Nikon D800/E. In the end it came down to the issues with the Nikon and the stats of the 5D Mk3 for shooting in almost any setting.

Don't get me wrong, i still love my D3100 and D90 that i learned on.

My order has the 24-105mm f/4 lens. What suggestions do you have for a good macro and telephoto lenses. As well a good flash that will indoors and within 30ft outdoors. my budget is 1,500 for the lenses and 600 for the flash.
trig009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Access

I would just start using it and work from there, you can do a lot with just that lens.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

The variants of the 70-200 are pretty much the go-to choices for the telephoto. I have the f/4 L IS and I'm pleased with it. That extra stop of the f/2.8 would be nice, of course - but it's expensive.

Rumors have it that the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 is 95% as good as the Canon, for half the price. Probably worth considering, based on your lens budget.

If you really do a lot of macro, the 100mm Canon f/2.8 L Macro is generally the go-to choice. But now you're getting into lots of overlap in focal lengths, since all your lenses would cover the 100mm focal length. How much true macro shooting do you really do? Is it something you're seriously considering pursuing?

For lots of versatility, I'd probably go for a wide-angle instead of a macro. I recently got the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 (full manual) and have been very pleased with it. It's a bit of work to use, but it's so sharp.

As far as flash, you've got a couple of ways to go - a single expensive flash (e.g. the Canon 600EX-RT), or several less expensive flashes. I went the latter, picking up the 430EXII, two Yongnuo YN-560s, some Cactus wireless triggers, and some accessories (stands, umbrellas, etc). The 600EX-RT is supposed to play real nice with the 5D3, using Canon's new radio-based wireless technology (as opposed to the optical wireless from all the previous stuff), but I haven't personally used it.

Opinion 1: A couple of cheap flashes off the camera will get you MUCH more interesting results than one expensive flash on the hotshoe.

Opinion 2: Get the 430EXII flash for $250, put the rest of the flash budget into your lens budget. Then in the future, as you start to develop your skills with the flash, invest a bit more into getting the flash off the camera: stands, triggers, slave flashes, etc.

One more thing: Get the PDF at the bottom of this page for information of the very complex autofocus system. The document is for the 1Dx, but the autofocus system is essentially the same.
http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources...uidebook.shtml

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

The 5D MKIII does look like the best all-rounder camera available.

I don't know that much about Canon lenses, but I'll include a few general suggestions.

What are your purposes? Seeing as you are posting on a cosplay forum, I can only guess you want to take cosplay photos. That 24-105mm seems like a decent do-it-all lens for that.

I agree with Nathan, you should consider something wide. Maybe a 17-40mm f4 would be good? Although, that would take around half of you lens budget. This depends on your style. Wide angle cosplay photos can be pretty amazing if you frame the subject in certain ways.

I'd also highly suggest a simple 50mm prime lens with a large aperture. You can get a 50mm f1.8 for under $100 refurbished. That larger aperture gives you more depth of field control and also will help in darker situations. With FF, 50mm is a pretty decent focal length for most cosplay photography. Another option would be to skip the cheap 50mm and go for the 50mm f2.5 Macro. Not as wide in aperture, but meets your macro lens requirement.

Telephoto is kind of difficult. You could easily blow $1500 on a single telephoto lens. Maybe just a simple FF capable 50-300/70-300 lens because the MKIII should be good in high ISO?
Unread 11-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Well I'm from the nikon side. But from what I've observed from Canon and the industry.

If the Canon 70-200/4 IS is still cheap and affordable and in your shooting style vs a 2.8 Get it now. Before they decided to "update" it and re-equalized the price for exchange rates and inflation if it hasn't already.

Basically look at Nikon's current pricing of lenses. Canon's been pretty much matching it on all their New releases.

I've seen one person use the 600 flash wirelessly. It kinda just works. A bit easier than adding adapters to all your flashes. But then each flash head costs $570 a pop.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

I use a Nikkor manual 50mm 3.5 Macro with a Nikon to EOS lens adaptor. The lens was only about $70, and the adaptor was about $40. It has great glass and a great price!

Your inquiry about telephoto was left wide open. The 24-104 F4 will be very versatile, but you might want some high-speed prime lenses too. A Canon 85mm 1.8 retails for about $360 new. You can get a 135mm F2 for about $1000 new. I get better prices finding used lenses on Craigslist.

The Canon 600EX flash would be a great choice, and just fits your budget, but you might do just fine with the Youngno YN560II Flash, which costs about 1/3 the price, or less, and should give you nearly 70% the performance. You will miss out on High Speed Sync though...Then you can buy multiple flashes, or put that budget more to on the lenses.

I own a Canon 5D Mk3, and I did fine with my 70-200mm F4 in low light, using ISO up to 25,600 with decent results, but I like having my fast prime lenses, even with a camera like that.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
trig009

the telephoto was left open because it will be for my own use when i travel.

the macro is both the closest 1:1 image, as well i have experience with Nikon 105mm macro.

the reason i would like to get one great flash is that i am deployed in Afghanistan at the moment and this is my deployment/getting out of the army gift for myself.

yes i will be shooting cosplay, but will also travel a bit and would love to get into fashion photography. all these are going to be a hobby (i relax from EOD [Explosive Ordnance Disposal] with photography, so it will be a large part of my time). the macro will also help with photos of my watchmaking, that is going to be my carrier when i get out.
trig009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer007 View Post
I use a Nikkor manual 50mm 3.5 Macro with a Nikon to EOS lens adaptor. The lens was only about $70, and the adaptor was about $40. It has great glass and a great price!
Great advice, I might have to look into this. $110 for a good dedicated Macro lens sounds like a deal to me.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote