Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

Tamaki/Haruhi Skit

So I had was listening to the new Taylor Swift album "Red" and while listending to the song "The Last Time" I got struck with an idea for a skit between Tamaki and Haruhi from OHSHC. I thought of taking the song and cutting some parts out to shorten it, I'd only have 2.30mins to work with anyways. The "cut" lyrics would look like this;

Tamaki:
Found myself at your door,
Just like all those times before,
Im not sure how I got there,
All roads they lead me here.

I imagine you are home,
In your room, all alone,
And you open your eyes into mine,
And everything feels better,

Haruhi:
You find yourself at my door,
Just like all those times before,
You wear your best apology,
But I was there to watch you leave,

And all the times I let you in,
Just for you to go again,
Disappear when you come back,
Everything is better.

Both:
This is the last time Im asking you this,
Put my name on the top of your list,
This is the last time Im asking you why,
You break my heart in the blink of an eye, eye, eye

Haruhi:
This is the last time you tell me Ive got it wrong,

Tamaki:
This is the last time I say its been you all along,

Haruhi:
This is the last time I let you in my door,

Tamaki:
This is the last time, I wont hurt you anymore.

The scene would play out like this;

The lights come up revealing Tamaki standing on the outside of a door and Haruhi standing on the inside of the door. Tamaki isn't aware that Haruhi is right on the other side of the door and can hear him.
When it comes Haruhi's time to sing she opens the door and sings her part.
When they sing together Haruhi reluctantly takes Tamaki's hand and lets him embrace her.
When the last part comes up Haruhi pushes away a little from Tamaki until Tamaki's last line where he pulls her in for a kiss ending the scene.

So any input? Isn't is any good? :/

~2015 Convention Schedule~
Anime Boston, Boston MA
CTcon, Hartford CT
Another Anime Con, Manchester NH

Open for Commissions!!
Ends Beginning is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Lip-synching skits are pretty much a no-no. They get boring and very awkward. I would recommend writing a skit with your own dialogue. It's more work, but the audience and judges will appreciate it a lot more.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Midnight Dawn

I agree with Oniigri about the lip synching.

However I'd be very impressed if you and your partner sung this live.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

I disagree on q few things. You see the convention we are attending requires all skits to pre-record their audio and doesn't allow live mics during the skits. so everything is technically "lip-synced". Also it takes a good deal of work to edit a song.properly so that beats line up right and flows smoothly. It also takes a lot of work to take a song and create choreography that expresses the story being told. You also need to think about the work it takes to memorize the words and timing so that it looks smooth and like your actually singing. Also don't forget the work to build the props and costumes for the skit.
My first post is merely the bare bones basics to get the very general idea across. There is much more that will go into this then some may think.

Anime Boston, Boston MA
CTcon, Hartford CT

Open for Commissions!!
Unread 11-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Midnight Dawn

it's perfectly fine then if it's within the bounds of the rules.

Although you're going to need a door.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
carnival
tl;dr

I think this is a cute idea. And Ends, me and my group do the same thing with our audio. We have to have it pre-recorded, and one of our girls has to put together our track. Its a lot of work. @@ We just practice like mad women to get all of our parts down right. Since you'll have music on your track, its easy to know when you have to go based on which beat of the song comes up next.

This actually makes me think of this skit that I saw at Fanime. It was wonderfully put together, and even won a group performance award. :3

Just skip 30 seconds into the video to where it starts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ptx9zNASDk

Facebook page: Monochrome Tea
Tumblr: monochrometea.tumblr.com

2013 Convention Schedule
SacAnime Winter
Animation on Display
Fanime
Kintoki Con
Comic Con
Japan Expo (US)
carnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

Yeah, I've gotten pretty good at cuting/editing audio tracks. After our FMA skit last year at Anime Boston I think I can handle just about any cut/editing for audio. XD
The hardest part about skits is the stage size since sometimes the stage is bigger or smaller then the space you practiced in which can throw off the whole feel of the skit especially if the stage is much larger then your first thinking. :/
I usually ask the people running the masq, but I don't always get an answer in time to adjust properly.

As for building a door psh thats easy my group works wonders with collapsible stage props. It usually involves PVC pipes, Cardboard or foam broad and hours of paint before the con then we disassemble the whole thing into parts that can be put back together back stage without just a little duct in the right places.

My Haruhi just loves this romanic crap and has wanted to do something like this for a while. So we're working out the smaller details including a very short instramental part from the song that we'll dance to. I just need to brush up on my ballroom dancing so I don't look like a fool on stage. XP

Now I need to figure out if I should wear the traditional Ouran uniform and have her wearing one of her more casual "girly" outfits or if we should both wear casual outfits. :/

Anime Boston, Boston MA
CTcon, Hartford CT

Open for Commissions!!
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Nikineko
Emergency Induction Port

This would be a cute idea. ^_^

Like with any lip singing performance, you have to sell it with you stage acting otherwise it is boring. You have to make sure the lyrics go with the actions on stage and I assume you know what that's like given your past performances. I would just make sure that it seems like they had some kind of fight with each other so it goes with the lyrics of the song. When Haruhi sings she shouldn't be sad but more angry and frustrated at what he's done. And as the song goes have them "resolve their fight" and basically kiss and make up ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ends Beginning View Post
Now I need to figure out if I should wear the traditional Ouran uniform and have her wearing one of her more casual "girly" outfits or if we should both wear casual outfits. :/
I'd suggest that Tamaki stay in his traditional uniform and have Haruhi look like a girl. For the audience members that don't know Ouran it will help them understand what's going on. Also a lot of times skits don't fair well when it looks like the characters are wearing street clothes so a uniform is good.

Hope this helps!
Nikineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

It does help, because I find Tamaki's "street" clothes to be from a rather common look among other characters that share similar features and looks with Tamaki. I was leaning more towards the uniform since it I have it already and that means one less thing for me to have to make in the short 6 months between now and the convention. @.@

Anime Boston, Boston MA
CTcon, Hartford CT

Open for Commissions!!