Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 11-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Kitsunebi-chan
Sora Kitsune Cosplay

winning more than one contest in one weekend fair??

okay just curious but is it fair for like one person to win like more than one cosplay contest in one weekend?? i mean like winning hallway, walk on and skits contest? with the same outfit by the way

i know many cons say that you can only win once that weekend but this recent one ive been too changed that

thoughts

Current Cosplay:
Sora from kingdom hearts 2/ Rin M. from Free!! / Otoya ittokiFrom Utapri / Aoba From DMMD Hinata from Haikyuu then i got some in the works

past cosplay:
kyuubi from naruto and many others
Kitsunebi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

If the rules allow it, then so be it.

It seems gauche, but unless the rules specifically state that you can't re-enter the same costume in both hall and masquerade contests, then there's not much you can do. If the rules changed to allow it, there must be a reason. If you think it's tacky or unfair, express your displeasure to the con staff who made that rule.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I'm with CapsuleCorp. If they allow it, then I guess it's okay. I know that at A-kon, they only allow winners of the Hall Cosplay Contests (those are done Friday and Saturday morning) to take smaller prizes in the Masquerade on Saturday night. So you can win first in the Hall contest, but can't take best in show. I guess it's a way to keep one person from racking up all the biggest prizes in the weekend.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

A lot of places that actually have a hall competition that isn't just a popularity contest based on photos strictly forbid you to enter the same costume in both. Probably precisely to prevent things like accusations that it's not fair. But if this particular con changed the rule to allow that? Gotta be a reason, even if it's a dumb reason like "the con chair said so."

I'm not going to say that it's perfectly cool. I do personally think it's tacky. And a competition that opens up or abolishes rules which keep unfair, gauche, or unethical things from crossing the line and leading to lots of drama and whining is just asking for it. If a lot of people are upset by it, they should voice their opinion to the cosplay staff. But in the end, the staff has the say-so to make and break the rules as they see fit. If you don't like their reasons or think they made/unmade the rules to serve themselves or some weird philosophy of cosplay that doesn't match up with reality, well, the only thing you can do after speaking out is walk away. Don't patronize the contest and encourage your friends to stay away from it as well.

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Kitsunebi-chan
Sora Kitsune Cosplay

well at this con they let someone win both best in show and best skit instead of giving on or the other when it says they dont allow it but they were like oh we can change our rules whenever.

can a con get away with that?

Current Cosplay:
Sora from kingdom hearts 2/ Rin M. from Free!! / Otoya ittokiFrom Utapri / Aoba From DMMD Hinata from Haikyuu then i got some in the works

past cosplay:
kyuubi from naruto and many others
Kitsunebi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Amanita

We had one guy get three different awards in the costume contest at this year's con- he got 1st place in Master's, 1st place in Steampunk Master's, and best prop. I'm certainly not dissing the guy, his costume was awesome! But I found myself thinking that perhaps when one person qualifies for multiple awards like that, it might be better to resurrect the "Best in Show" award- we had it a few years ago, but it hasn't been awarded these past two years.
Best in Show is very well suited to costumes like that, and it also cuts down on the perception that one person's "hogging" all the awards.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

I wouldn't compete in a competition that allowed more than on 'serious' award. (Not 'best use of duct tape' but actual 1st/2nd/HM/etc.)

Personally I feel allowing only one award cuts down on both perceived and actual nepotism among the judges/conchair/staff. I've seen a few competitions where I was wondering if there were sexual favors involved in the choice of winners, because some people were getting a ton of awards that I perceived to be unmerited. Maybe the person really did deserve them for details we couldn't see, but lavishing one person with awards at the exclusion of other fantastic costumes didn't help.
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

At a convention I went to a couple years ago a girl took 1st place master class, crowd favorite and best in show. Her costume was awesome but it seemed like every one was outraged by the fact that she got three awards (all three awards had the same prizes just with different trophies). In that situation it seems like getting best in show would be the only thing she needed as it is the highest award. After the contest our website's forums were flooded with angry comments which turned into a very nasty flame war. I feel like the situation could have been avoided if a one award rule was in place. On the other side I think if a person gets an award individually but it also a member of a skit group that group shouldn't be excluded from winning any thing.
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Amanita

Pretty much what Riddeltk said!
Especially when the awards are not something costly- certificates or the like, it should be one prize per person. That cuts down on accusations of favoritism, and allows more people's good work to be recognized.
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Wow, somebody was given both best master and best in show? Ouch. No wonder there was a flame war.

Usually where I judge and/or compete, if you're in the running or have clinched Best in Show, you're automatically out of the running for any other major awards - there's no need for a best in class on top of it. It's possible for a Best in Show group at some cons to also get an HM for performance or a joke award, or crowd favorite, something cute like that, but that's not as upsetting to people generally as winning multiple major awards. Which, really, is something to take up with the cosplay staff/director or judges if that happens.

Unread 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
Amanita

So should I say anything about how at my last con, one person took three major awards (master in two categories and best prop), and another person took second place in two categories as well? Something about that doesn't quite sit right with me- I'm not dissing the competitors, and I don't want to be accused of sour grapes. Although in this particular contest I didn't have a dog in that fight- I entered for presentation only, not workmanship. So it's not like I am some disgruntled loser.
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
dizzylizzy
I sew things

It also depends on the number of entries and if the Coordinator insists that the judges give out all the awards (predetermined prizes, so to speak). I've ran into this as a judge. I was told I HAD to give out ALL the awards even though there wasn't enough entries (ex- 1 Master entered, therefore "best master" no matter if they were up to par with "master"). Some awards doubled up, which personally I'm not a fan of. On the other hand, I have judged other Masquerades and it was up to our discretion on what awards we would give out. I don't judge at events that make be give out every award no matter what. It cheapens the event, IMO.

Anyhow! Woo! People forget after 2 weeks anyhow who won. Life moves on.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dizzy...49665061805445
dizzylizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Ooh, good point, dizzylizzy. I hadn't thought of that.

Most of the time when I judge I'm not forced to give out all awards - if anything, we don't have ENOUGH awards, as opposed to too many. We're kept to a quota so we're not giving out too many honorable mentions. I don't like that much either, but I'd at least prefer the freedom of not having to give out an award if there's no one eligible so as not to stack awards. Especially since Best in Show generally bumps people up into Master class locally/regionally if not more, so one wants to be a little more careful about just throwing that one around.

Unread 11-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
snow_zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsunebi-chan View Post
okay just curious but is it fair for like one person to win like more than one cosplay contest in one weekend?? i mean like winning hallway, walk on and skits contest? with the same outfit by the way

i know many cons say that you can only win once that weekend but this recent one ive been too changed that

thoughts
It's one thing to win one contest/ maybe win in a group skit contest later.

However I think that people that win a big price in one contest, should not enter the other ones. Maybe it should be done like how kid pageants do it...you can win a lower title, and later have a chance to win a larger title later. However people that win middle titles, can't compete for the main title.

Now in the scenario where one has a "god" cosplay and "destroys" everyone else...they should get a high title, but if they keep entering, then they will keep on winning the high titles (not that other cosplays suck....) Its to give everyone a chance at winning something.... Maybe it's biased....but it's to give smaller people a chance lol
snow_zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
Emrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsunebi-chan View Post
well at this con they let someone win both best in show and best skit instead of giving on or the other when it says they dont allow it but they were like oh we can change our rules whenever.

can a con get away with that?
Most cons I've been to judge skits and costumes separately, so it is possible to get an award for a skit and an award for your costume construction. The only time I remember seeing this happen was for groups who did a skit together and then also entered for group construction. It is highly unlikely for anyone to win multiple costume categories since they usually break it up by skill level so you can't qualify for more than one level, though judges' choice and best of show can sometimes overlap with the general awards since they are more subjective.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote