Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
SakuraFrost
Accidental Creeper

3D maneuver gear?

Does anyone know if there is anything out there that works somewhat like the 3D Manuever gear in Attack on Titan? I'm going into engineering, and I have a sensible plan to create and market such an item. Is something similar already in existence? And if I made it, would you as a consumer buy it?

I'm just asking on cosplay.com because I don't know else to..

Recent Costumes:
Italy 20% 2p!Italy 80%
Iceland 60% Feferi -planning-
Vriska -planning- The Condense 10%
Jane Crocker 75% Bro Strider -planning-

Cosplays I'm making for my Sister/Friends:
Norway 100% Eridan -planning-
Dave Strider 50%
SakuraFrost is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Akune-chan

I have never seen one made that was functional.

And I'd be interested in one if you did get it to be semi functional. o.o
Though hopefully it will not be heavy.
Unread 09-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
CrownedCorvid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=dUr452RXJgw

That video is the only semi-functional maneuver gear I know of.
CrownedCorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

If you make them functional to the point where the clip things actually fly out of the box much like a grappling hook, then cons will not allow them, therefor barely anyone will buy them, save for the super obsessed fans, but yea, that kinda stuff isn't allowed at cons.
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
SakuraFrost
Accidental Creeper

Thanks. I meant like fully functional Spider-Manning through the air though, so it would be less of a cosplay item and more of a recreation or transportation thing.
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I'm pretty sure that's actually impossible..It's a cartoon..Not real life..I highly doubt what they do is physically even possible..I also see that as extremely unsafe..Like say you WERE to get it to do that..One miss and you die..It's basically a grappling hook device..They aren't able to just fly out to the nearest thing to grab onto..If you were, say, mid-air, and you made it fly out to the next area to hook, and it missed..You'd fall to your death..Again though, I'm pretty sure all of that isn't even physically possible..
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

According to the references, it's all based on weight distribution. It reminds me of the system some fitness clubs use for their rock climbing. Technically speaking, once you're up, moving around like that would be extremely easy as long as you have something to grapple to since you're not solely relying on your own upper body strength.

Personally, if it were possible to create and market it, I'd love to own something like that.

Yeah, it's potentially dangerous. But like any other recreational activity, you'd have to use caution and not intentionally push your own limits. Could things go wrong? Of course. People make mistakes, things do happen. But shooting something down solely because it carries a potential for danger is rather foolish.

Lighten up Jason, science and technology are evolving and who knows? In the future things like this could be possible.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Viveeh
necrocarnival

Also copyright.
Link from Majora's Mask
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

If you can make one of these, to hell with cosplayers. Sell it to the military of whatever country you happen to live in.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaForThought View Post
According to the references, it's all based on weight distribution. It reminds me of the system some fitness clubs use for their rock climbing. Technically speaking, once you're up, moving around like that would be extremely easy as long as you have something to grapple to since you're not solely relying on your own upper body strength.

Personally, if it were possible to create and market it, I'd love to own something like that.

Yeah, it's potentially dangerous. But like any other recreational activity, you'd have to use caution and not intentionally push your own limits. Could things go wrong? Of course. People make mistakes, things do happen. But shooting something down solely because it carries a potential for danger is rather foolish.

Lighten up Jason, science and technology are evolving and who knows? In the future things like this could be possible.
You do realize how extremely different rock climbing is from swinging from building to building right? When you are going rock climbing, you already have the stuff attached and you are climbing already knwing the rope is hooked onto something at the top right? If you are swining above a city in mid air and you fling the hook to something, what happens if you don't hook onto something? You fall right? The odds of dying while rock climbing are extremely different then just hoping the next hook grabs on to something.

So thing this way..Put a hook on a rope. Now go to the top of a building..Jump off. Once you do, throw the hook in the direction you want to swing to. Now imagine that hook doesn't catch onto anything..What happens then? You don't have a rope securing you to anything like you do with rock climbing in a fitness club..If you fall on that you just hang there..If you jump off a building hoping the hook catches and then it doesn't, you have nothing to catch you from falling. Then you fall..And die..This is what you are condoning this person to doing..
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
belligerent
Viking Metal

Well, if you crash a car into a building you die and that hasn't stopped anybody from making cars yet.

Or buildings, for that matter.

LIVE FAST DIE YOUNG BAD GIRLS DO IT WELL
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
You do realize how extremely different rock climbing is from swinging from building to building right? When you are going rock climbing, you already have the stuff attached and you are climbing already knwing the rope is hooked onto something at the top right? If you are swining above a city in mid air and you fling the hook to something, what happens if you don't hook onto something? You fall right? The odds of dying while rock climbing are extremely different then just hoping the next hook grabs on to something.

So thing this way..Put a hook on a rope. Now go to the top of a building..Jump off. Once you do, throw the hook in the direction you want to swing to. Now imagine that hook doesn't catch onto anything..What happens then? You don't have a rope securing you to anything like you do with rock climbing in a fitness club..If you fall on that you just hang there..If you jump off a building hoping the hook catches and then it doesn't, you have nothing to catch you from falling. Then you fall..And die..This is what you are condoning this person to doing..
I simply gave a more realistic example of how someone could possibly create a product similar to the 3DMG.

I imagine the odds are much higher for someone dying in a car or motorcycle crash rather than a 3D maneuver gear accident. Especially since this is a "What if we could do this" sort of topic.

What I mean to say is...there are dangers in virtually everything that we as humans do, and without some risk, there would never be progress in anything because everyone would be too put off to ever attempt anything because they might die.

If this were created and marketed, there would be warnings and regulations attached to it just like any other product that is commercially available. Or not. It could only be available to window washing businesses and they'll be the ones trained on how to properly use it. Perhaps it's only something available to the military and they're the only ones who have to worry about missing their mark and falling to their death.

The point of this is exploring the possibility.

If it were something we could actually use, then it would be up to you whether or not you would want to purchase it. You would do your research like any other motorized vehicle/mode of transportation such as a motorized scooter, motorcycle, car or ATV. If you found that the risk was not worth it to you, then you wouldn't purchase it but that doesn't mean that others wouldn't want to.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #13
SakuraFrost
Accidental Creeper

My sister told me I have to put a parachute in it. And despite the whole cartoon thing, it's quite possible.
Copyright isn't an issue because the author never really created the inner workings, he opted to say it was a closely guarded secret. And we already figured most of it out, we're just working out a few kinks, then we'll have to test it. But it is completely possible. We've figured out both an aiming system using weight distribution and one using a gun sorta thing. I'm just not sure if people would buy it. We did consider selling it to the military, but I'm not sure i want to be responsible for a bunch of people being slaughtered. That, and I want to get a chance to use it myself. Imagine showing up to a convention with that!
Our plans are to accept individual orders and pay a third party to manufacture them. We'd train people, not just let them run around with no idea what they were doing. Having harpoons attached to your waist without any idea what you're doing is generally frowned upon.

On another note, I researched explosives/guns a lot in the school library, and that's where we all meet, and most of the teachers think that I'm building a bomb..
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
Akune-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownedCorvid View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=dUr452RXJgw

That video is the only semi-functional maneuver gear I know of.
Oh Jesus it actually shows the INSIDES.
-fans-
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
ShadowYazoo
Embrace your Dreams

I know that there is already a device that lets people, mostly military, scale the walls or ropes really fast by using an assisted lift technology which basically takes the rope in and lets it out on the other end and you hold onto the device to climb.
Arisato Minato (Persona 3)
Kanda Yuu (D.Gray-Man)
Shadow (Sonic)
Dark Pit (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
Kaito (Vocaloid)
N (Pokemon)
Levi (Attack on Titan)
Li Xingke (Code Geass)
Rin (Ao No Exorcist)
ShadowYazoo is offline   Reply With Quote