Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
EllieMallow
Ellie Mallow

"Darkening" Skin with Makeup Opinions

I am faced with a problem.

I am cosplaying Aveline from Assassin's Creed. The problem is, I am white. I've looked at some of the other cosplays, and people are okay with "blackfacing" but I've seen such negative opinions towards it. I'd like to make my skin look a little more bronze, but not black face.

My question is, what is your opinion on darkening skin with makeup for a costume? Is it bad for me to cosplay this character if she is black? The last thing I want to do is disrespect anyone.
EllieMallow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

I would recommend bronzing yourself to look like you have a tan, since Aveline is from New Orleans. Don't try to mimic ethnic skin. Here's a great tutorial for looking naturally tan.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
IchiBLEACHcake

I don't see the problem with trying to achieve a darker look. You're not doing it to make fun of any character or ethnicity. In fact, you're trying to do so because you are a fan of that particular character. People make themselves look tanner or paler all the time, so I say there's really no harm in it so long as it's done respectfully.
I've heard of people darkening with Ben Nye products. I have also achieved a much tanner look simply with a much darker concealer than my natural skin tone and then sealed it with a matching powder.
IchiBLEACHcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Rukeya

There is nothing wrong with cosplaying as a character with a race that differs from your own. However, I wouldn't recommend trying to achieve another skin tone for it. Even if you've done it in a way you think is tactful and respectful, people will take offense.

Like PSY-chan said, giving yourself a natural looking tan is likely the best option.
Rukeya is offline   Reply With Quote