Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #226
MDA
Destiny Productions

@Kakera - Since you won with Vickybunnyangel at Otakuthon, you'd be in Master now

Me I'm still in Novice. But I'm quite proud of my Xemnas so *fingers crossed*

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #227
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
@Kakera - Since you won with Vickybunnyangel at Otakuthon, you'd be in Master now

I'll be *hopefully* entering for my first time. Don't think I have a chance but worth a shot.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
-Marika Kato - Pirate Captain
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #228
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'm entering in Journeyman, and obviously I'm hopeful. I'm not expecting a tailoring award, though. Handsewn pleather doesn't look impressive at all on the underside.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #229
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I'm entering in Journeyman, and obviously I'm hopeful. I'm not expecting a tailoring award, though. Handsewn pleather doesn't look impressive at all on the underside.
they don't really look at the underside though, especially if its close to your body... I've only competed 3 times, but even at AN they've never asked me to take anything off for them to inspect, they've mainly looked at the outside with a bit of prodding, but not much (They mostly wanted to see how i had my hat attached to my wig and bow on my back for Ciel and the hems for my dresses), and asked how I made it and a few other questions for things I didn't mention... But I guess each judge could have their own way... but i doubt anyone would ask you to take anything off (it would be unfair to ask someone with a jacket to take it off to inspect it, but not able to ask someone to take off a corset (because obviously they CAN'T) to inspect it, you know?)
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #230
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I actually need to see if I can have my boyfriend with me in the green room for a handler of sorts- I need him to adjust my brightness knob, slot in fresh batteries and be readily available in case an emergency repair is needed. And maybe help me navigate the stairs. If he's allowed under those circumstances in the green room, he'll have to take off my disk dock case to show the circuitboard and such off. No way can I reach it myself and it's the biggest/hardest part of the costume, so I'd show it to the judges if possible. I guess I'll have to ask when I register.
(Also, the workmanship judges at Con-G last year did look at seams pretty well. If it could easily be flipped up/back to look at they did, and a few parts of my costume can be rolled back or unfastened to look at.)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 02-13-2013 at 03:35 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #231
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgasm View Post
Yeah, at AN I only got to know a few people in my den, and not even by name, except I'm sure that a few people from cosplay.com were in it... we were SO nervous and I basically froze solid on stage, I couldn't look up! XP but I've had some minor practice since so I shouldn't be like that here! I'm entering my Alucard costume!
Haha yeah, I was super nervous my first masquerade too. =) It's okay, you get used to it~
I'll look out for your Alucard at the con then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post

Ahaha, not sure if that even counts. <_< We entered in master because she's a master, and we only got a minor award so... Idk. People have been telling me to enter in master but I don't feel like my skills or experience are there yet.

Ooh you're entering Xemnas? Can't wait to see it! =)

Otakuthon: Ashe(League of Legends), Artwork (Nardack illustrations)

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

KakeraのTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #232
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I'm watching KH 3D (because I refuse to buy another game device just to play it!).
I have so much love seeing tribal Xemnas on screen and lamenting what Tulip fabric paint failed in washing machine when I did his costume the first time. (aka the opacity washed out of it!)

If I ever get the proper leatherette I'll remake him some day. lol I still have a my rave stick!

I'm not sure If I'm entering as I'm still working on the undershirt and it's silly layers. (I pray the jumper will be easier!)

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 02-13-2013 at 05:06 PM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #233
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakeraのTsuki View Post
Haha yeah, I was super nervous my first masquerade too. =) It's okay, you get used to it~
I'll look out for your Alucard at the con then!

Ahaha, not sure if that even counts. <_< We entered in master because she's a master, and we only got a minor award so... Idk. People have been telling me to enter in master but I don't feel like my skills or experience are there yet.

Ooh you're entering Xemnas? Can't wait to see it! =)
It was actually my 2nd (my CCs first) as i did ConBravo 2011, but I failed even WORSE at that one and I don't usually speak of it lol XP at least I can look back on AN 2012! I can't even make myself watch my CB 2011 entry!
I'll be with my Seras and Rip all day before it and they will be cheering me on from the audience XP You're CCs gunna be great!
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #234
Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakeraのTsuki View Post
From what I have read, and been told in the past, according to ICG guidelines, if you have ever won a "Best in Show", or won any award in the Master class, then you are supposed to enter in Master from then on, even if it was part of a group.

I do have a question about the masq, though. Although I will have flip flops or slippers of some kind for walking around, the character I am cosplaying is usually barefoot. What are the rules regarding footwear while on stage? Can I go barefoot, or would I be required to wear the slippers/flip flops?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #235
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
From what I have read, and been told in the past, according to ICG guidelines, if you have ever won a "Best in Show", or won any award in the Master class, then you are supposed to enter in Master from then on, even if it was part of a group.

I do have a question about the masq, though. Although I will have flip flops or slippers of some kind for walking around, the character I am cosplaying is usually barefoot. What are the rules regarding footwear while on stage? Can I go barefoot, or would I be required to wear the slippers/flip flops?
as far as I know you'd be allowed to take them off just as you go on stage (you'd have to ask for sure WHEN but at AN people are barefoot on stage all the time!)
Unread 02-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #236
sailormoonfan14

i'm unsure what division to enter my Chii Cosplay, i've only ever competed in one masq, last years con-g in the novice and didn't win an award i don't think. But my skills are a lot better this year after lots of lessons + many sewing tests for colleges, and this is a rather detailed costume, so i don't know whether to enter up or not
sailormoonfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #237
Dart:Dense Boy
Horses+Cosplay=Poor

Quote:

Best in show - automatically bumps you to the next tier is how i've understood it. I won best in show with Tiger so got bumped from Journeyman even though that was my first time entering Journeyman.

You can go barefoot on stage - I don't really see a problem with that :P Not really used to barefoot questions when you're in the winter :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormoonfan14 View Post
i'm unsure what division to enter my Chii Cosplay, i've only ever competed in one masq, last years con-g in the novice and didn't win an award i don't think. But my skills are a lot better this year after lots of lessons + many sewing tests for colleges, and this is a rather detailed costume, so i don't know whether to enter up or not
Enter the division you feel comfortable in Often times when you sign up if you ask at the table they might have some suggestions too

*Never judge anyone until you've walked a mile in their cosplay shoes :P* Those things are painful!
Dart:Dense Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #238
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
I entered with a group of eight at Anime North 2008; since some of our group members were Masters, we had to enter in that category. We ended up winning Best Master Craftsmanship and Best in Show, but it was my first ever masquerade. When a fellow novice from that group and I entered by ourselves the following year, we asked the masquerade desk what we should do. They suggested Journeyman, so we went with that. A bump up one level sounds a bit more understandable if you wouldn't belong in that level on your own.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #239
flash1616
don't touch the Mytho

Quote:
I know your barefoot question was answered, but I'm going to recommend that in the future for anyone who wants to cosplay someone with barefeet, get yourself a pair of sticky sandals. They are awesome, perfect for looking like you're not wearing shoes for cosplay but allowed in stores, and perfect for not getting tan lines in the summer.
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #240
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart:Dense Boy View Post
Best in show - automatically bumps you to the next tier is how i've understood it. I won best in show with Tiger so got bumped from Journeyman even though that was my first time entering Journeyman.

You can go barefoot on stage - I don't really see a problem with that :P Not really used to barefoot questions when you're in the winter :P

Enter the division you feel comfortable in Often times when you sign up if you ask at the table they might have some suggestions too
really? in all the research I've done, it just says once with any bigger win in Novice to go to Journeyman, and after that, you can win up to 3 times, anything major before jumping again... I'm the kind of person that's both paranoid about where I should enter and paranoid I don't belong in where my past experience is putting me, so I'm constantly doing research XP