Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
vervv
Vervv

Cool Plasti-Dip: A new way to seal Craft Foam

Hello everybody! I recently stumbled across a new way to seal craft foam. The story begins...

I was trying to make armor pieces for a costume. I started with the trusted "glue and water" method, which I hate with a passion. After coating my arm and leg guards several times with the mixture, I spray painted them gold. This was my result:

I realized at this point that my armor looked like poop. The craft foam, despite several coats of glue and water, was still absorbing my paint. The difference is very apparent when you look at the hot glue (the detailing, which does not absorb glue) and the foam. I was already upset that I had to partake in the glue-water-everywhere ordeal, so I decided to try a new method.

Another forum discussed Plasti-Dip, a paint that turns to rubber. I hurried over to Menards and bought myself a spray can of the stuff in black for about $6. The can coated all six pieces of my armor twice and, when sprayed closely, leaves little to no texture. After two coats I was left with a flexible, tough outer coating. I was also impressed that I lost minimal amounts of detailing. NOTE: The spray is super stinky. I would advise some open windows (or spraying outside) and maybe a cheap dust mask.

The other forum said that the spray is both a sealer and primer. I coated the armor twice with Rustoleum Metallics in Gold, and let it dry. After it dried, I was left with this.

Wow, that looks better! It is still lightweight, and now looks super shiny. Notice the bumpiness on the right side of the leg guard. I must have sprayed from too far away and created texture. I also coated the armor in Pledge+Future floor wax, which adds shine without dulling the gold paint. The empty spots will soon be filled with jewels gleaned from this necklace, which I recommend for large jewels. v=http://www.ebay.com/itm/321012845493?var=510086303051&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Anyways, it was only $6 and made my armor so much prettier. It stank and took a little bit longer than glue and water, but the results are awesome!!

I hope this method can be used to speed up your craft foam armor. I noticed nobody ever suggests this for sealing craft foam, so hopefully this method will be embraced soon!
vervv is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I have a can of this sitting around that I used to cover a foam sword. It does it's job. I found that mine didn't dry all the way but that may have been the way I was using it or just what I was expecting. Your armor looks great! I might have to try this with my next craft foam armor. (:
Unread 11-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Quote:
NOTE: The spray is super stinky. I would advise some open windows (or spraying outside) and maybe a cheap dust mask.
Dust masks are meant to keep out dust and won't do you any good here. You need either a respirator or fume mask when dealing with something like this.
Unread 11-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
vervv
Vervv

Ichigo: I'm sorry yours didn't dry all the way! Maybe it was put on too heavy? :\

Kaligoddess: Thank you for the correction!
Unread 11-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Curucar

I had no idea they made it in spray can form! I've got a bottle of the straight dippable stuff, and the thinner part of the solution evaporates, even when I've got it double sealed in a bag.
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
vervv
Vervv

Yeah, the spray can form can cover approximately 30 ft, I think I remember. However, if you spray from too far away you create a bumpy texture :P
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

How far is 'too far away'?
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
vervv
Vervv

Hmmm, I would say 8-12 inches. The spray is very thick and doesn't settle very well, so giving it too much distance causes it to splatter. At the same time, I think applying too much makes it bubble slightly as the air escapes. I would use a few test pieces first. I just found out about Plasti-Dip, so I still don't know all the ins and outs of using it :I