Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 11-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Jeshixx

Steampunk Starfish Headpeice Help?

Some friends and I have decided to try to create steampunk Pokemon gym leaders for our next convention. I decided to go with a version of Misty. One of the first things I pictured when I thought of steampunk Misty was her beloved Starmie. Long story short: I wanted to figure out a way to make a Starmie headpeice.

My only problem is that I have no idea where to begin on it. I've looked around the internet for inspiration, but steampunk gym leaders seem nearly undone. (Which is both a good and bad thing....Good because it's new and original, but bad because there's no steampunk Misty to reference on the interwebs.) I suppose it would also help if I'd made a headpeice before, too.

I'm not thinking too elaborately, in my opinion. A simple Starmie, maybe a string of pearls and a few small, light accessories to go with it.

My first question to those who may have some background knowledge on things like this would be how the heck do I get it to stay on my head? Do I use a headband for a base? (If so, how do I hide it?) Or is there another kind of cosplay magic to get it to stay?

Then, I have to wonder: What the heck do I make the Starmie out of? Clay would be awfully heavy, wouldn't it? My boyfriend suggested taking a starfish and carving out the spot for the gem, but I don't know.... I think it would be hard for me to carve out a dead starfish and wear it around all day. Or, would it add that touch of authenticity that would make it believable?

I just worry about this part more than almost anything else. I feel like it's going to be one of the integral parts of recognition as Misty. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Jeshixx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

So for your first question the best thing is to either yes use a head band, but traditionally we have been sewing headpieces to our wigs or using an elastic headband to keep headpieces on. My Monster Hunter horns were sculpted entirely out of apoxie sculpt, and weighed in at about 2 lbs, and the elastic headband over the wig worked beautifully.

However there are situations where headpieces can be sewn directly to the wig itself, my girlfriend sews hers to her wig whenever possible.

As for the starfish carve, I don't personally thing that doing that would be a good idea. Starfish are typically very brittle when preserved in that manner and one bump and that thing is toast, and tbh I agree that it would be difficult to be identified as Misty w/o the iconic Starmie present. Personally the way I sculpt is fairly straightforward. If you feel up to the task you can use apoxie sculpt by Aves to sculpt it, however I always use some sort of wood guide to help me sculpt accurately. By that I mean I would cut out the star shape, then glue (hot glue normally) walls to achieve a uniform height on the sculpt. That doesn't make much sense, but here is a picture of a vac buck I made to illustrate it. I used wood walls to get a uniform curve for the domes.

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
CindyDoll214

Personally I'm a big fan of sculpey since it's tough but not ridiculously heavy. I think you'll need to decide what size you want the Starmie first and then work out from there. Since it's Misty you could probably get away with a cute visible headband made of strings of pearl...something like (http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com...IYoGiJ4Q_b.jpg) might be a good idea. I recommend that if you're worried about it falling off, work the support structure into your look rather than hide it and if you need to you can add hidden support, like sewing it to the wig.