Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 11-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
BACONBICEPS

Bulking help anyone to gain muscle?

So you know i'm not a personal trainer or anything like that but i do have three years of experience cutting weight from 270 down to 195 and now bulking up to cosplay Tommy Terror i have made almost every rookie mistake and learned from them so if you have any questions on staying motivated, nutrition, work outs, i'm here to help and i could use any advice you have on staying lean while gaining muscle i know the basics but any help would be great.

I would love to hear your fitness stories it's great to hear different peoples experiences.
BACONBICEPS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
Arbite
Shut up and move!

It's pretty difficult to stay lean while bulking. You could give leangains/IF a try, but your gains will be slower than someone doing a clean bulk.

As for working out, for most novice lifters, programs like Reg Parks 5x5, Starting Strength, or SL5x5 are great. If you really love going to the gym, something like Babylover's Starting Strength is good as well.

How long to you have before you plan to do your cosplay?
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
EastCoastKing

Whey protein is good for post-workout shakes, because it absorbs fast. Casein protein is good for before-bed shakes because it absorbs slowly. I suggest mixing casein with soy milk for your bedtime shake, because they are both slow to break down and digest-so your body is getting fed protein through the night.
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
BACONBICEPS

Well to get to my target 220 pounds with 8% body fat will take around 4 years but i'm going to bulk as much as i can up to 2014 for this small con in my area this will be my first cosplay so i want to start small.
BACONBICEPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Well, a year is a long time. You should be able to make huge progress providing you stick to your routine. Honestly, I'd do a 9-10 month bulk and then a three month cut. If you focus on four main lifts (OHP, deadlift, bench press and squat), while adding chins and barbell rows/pendlay rows/powercleans (pick one you like), you will get bigger and far stronger. Compound lifts (using 2 or more joints) are the mainstay of these programs. Not only are they far more applicable in everyday life (how often do you have to bicep curl something heavy?), but they also release larger amounts of HGH and testosterone, meaning that they help all your other lifts as well. For this reason, you really should be doing deadlifts and squats. And if you're really keen, Olympic lifts are super fun, and extremely good for you.

Once you've started stalling on your lifts, programs like 5/3/1, Texas Method or a split will be more effective.

A clean bulk means eating at 500-700 calories over your TDEE, and counting them. You don't really need protein shakes unless you are really struggling to get enough protein/calories in your diet. Make sure to adjust once a month, your TDEE will change with your weight.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote