Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 12-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Rakoku
Hawai'i Cosplayer

Some questions about body paint

(A lot of other body paint threads right now I see. O.o)

Formy BRS cosplay, I need to be pale. So I'm thinking of using some cake makeup for it. I know it's not that opaque, but I'm not that dark. Also, I'll most likely if not inevitabley need to re-apply. If I used a spray sealant, could I just re-apply paint and more sealant over it? What about over powder sealant? Common makeup sense tells me no, but I just want to reaffirm...^^;

Also, what are some areas of the body that the paint would wear off first? The paint will be on my face, neck, majority of my torso, and legs down to above my knees. I have oily skin, and the convention center is hot and humid, plus I'll be wearing a long sleeved, open front, long pleather coat. @-@ (Don't think it'll last long in that but I'm going to try...)

And uh, how many tins of the stuff would I need? Sorry, never used the stuff so I have no idea. I'm 5'4" and somewhat slim, so would 2 tins work? Or would I need 3 tins or more to account for its opacity?

I tried to keep this short but I failed...But, thank you for reading and for any help.
Rakoku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

id prob not use pure body paint for this but go the route of like powders that the goth kids wear. or a foundation slightly lighter in color than your normal color
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
Rakoku
Hawai'i Cosplayer

I actually did something like that for another cosplay, but I found it used a lot of liquid foundation to cover my face to above my chest.

I feel a bit iffy about the goth makeup route, since it's expensive where I live (compared to theatrical makeup at a costume store, when comparing cost per ounce of each) and I'm not sure it'll hold up better than body paint. But if it does, I'll use it.
Rakoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Sweet Loretta

Really you should search the threads there is a wealth of information here.

Face painting makeup is for the most part quite opaque. How much you use depends on how you apply it. The better you get at application the less you use, and how much can vary by brand. And of course by the size of the container, some brands come in varied sizes from 15 grams to 70 grams of makeup. Any top brand cake activated makeup will work for cosplay.

As for powders they too can work but have less staying power. One god brand is Mehron's Starblend which was made for use as a water activated cake makeup but face painters have made using the cake dry very popular. Once the cake is wetted is is not usable dry, So you choose one usage.

Water activated cake makeup for face and body painting is not set or sealed with translucent setting powder. Only cream makeup is set with powder. Body paint cake makeup is set or sealer with spray fixer. Powder is not sprayed. There is no sealing powders. Although you can use fixers under the powder.

Makeup wears off in first in the places you expect. If the skin bend or wrinkles if it sweats or gets moist the makeup comes off there first - elbows, knees, underarms, under breasts, the neck.... Since you live in a humid climate testing is a good idea. Many face painters like the powders in humid areas. Honestly I not opt for this juts based on the difficulty of keeping it intact on large areas. If your moist if can be hard to apply initially.

Top brands for body paint, powders and fixers include Wolfe FX, Mehron (Paradise), Kryolan, Graftobian, just to name a few. Shop a local costume shop or order online.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote