Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 11-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
ElementalQuest

Unhappy Sealing and Painting Craft Foam on a Deadline!

So I have finished constructing my Edward Elric arm entirely out of craft foam. The thing is, I didn't account for the fact that sealing the craft foam would take a whole week, which is time I don't have if I want to make it by Thursday for our school's manga club. Is there any way I can seal the craft foam very quickly?

As far as painting goes, can I paint it with acrylics and give it a sort of top coat to remove some of the brush strokes? I have some Ebony Rub 'n' Buff but I didn't realize that Rub 'n' Buff would be used as a whole, whereas I thought it was just going to be used to give it that "antique armor look" in the corners. I can't exactly run to the store to get any more supplies than I already have, unless it's an easy to find something or other that you can get at the grocery store.

It's not completely necessary that I have it done by this Thursday, but I would very much like to. Would you say it'd be more worth it to wait for the next weeks meeting or do you think I could get by with these few days while still making it look good and last? I do intend to use this for as long as I can, for conventions and just going out to have fun with it.

Thank you in advance for any help that you're able to provide

.:ElementalQuest:.
ElementalQuest is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

You said u can't Ru to the store, but for the only product I can think that will set up in time, u might have to. Plastidip is prob going to be ur best bet, the glue and water tecnique takes wayyyy to long. Best bet is this stuff, I've heard it cuts the time in like half. However u will have to run out to a hardware store to buy it...... As for painting regular acrylic works and as long as u don't glob it on, it shouldn't have brush strokes. Then run n buff and u might need a clear coat over that (if ur going to the hardware store to get the plastidip just buy a can of krylon clear coat)
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

The reason craft foam has to be sealed is because it absorbs. If you paint it with acrylic before sealing, it will absorb the paint. It will look flat and the color won't look right. It will be especially difficult to get a smooth, metallic finish.

I have personally used plasti-dip on craft foam, on a time crunch. We cut foam armor, sealed it with 2-3 coats of plasti-dip and painted it, all in a day. The foam stays surprisingly flexible. Make sure you heat shape everything and reinforce it so that any flexing doesn't crack your paint finish. Here's how it looked, in the end: Thor armor

In the end, craft foam isn't a particularly durable material. If you want a costume to last, look into other types of foam.

Blonadine.net -
Facebook me!

"Nothin but the rain."
dbchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

I constructed, sealed and painted this thing in an afternoon with Plastidip. So I definitely second it if there are time constraints. While not ideal and strong it gets the job done for limited wear situations.

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote