Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Amanita

Pre-judging, how much time is the norm?

So my local con brought in workmanship judging this past year, which is good.
Now, since I didn't have the costume I really wanted ready, I just went in for presentation and did a performance, so they didn't look me over up close.
However, somebody else who did get the workmanship judging done says that the judges only spent about a minute with each person. And as soon as the last contestant walked off stage, they had the winners ready to be announced. Is it just me, or is that really rushing things?
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

It kind of depends on the con; a lot of masquerade entries means they can't take a ton of time with each entry/person unless they want the masquerade to start late. My last con, we had to arrive an hour before the "must be in green room by now or you're too late" time, and I think about fifteen or sixteen entries, including myself, had workmanship judging. There were two judges per person, and it took a couple minutes per person; they weren't what I'd call too rushed, but for me they basically looked at the insides of seams they could see without making me take off my costume, looked me around a couple times- I assume to see how well it fitted on me- and felt the. fabrics, asked me if I drafted/used a pattern, what it was made from, how I styled the wig and made the props, anything extra I wanted to mention. I wouldn't call it a rushed judging, but they were able to get through everyone pretty quick.

Judging winners? Yeah, that sounds WAY too fast. At every masquerade I've watched or been in, it was at least a few hours before they announced winners.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I know a lot of directors who would be excited to have judging deliberations take less than five minutes. XD

It does depend on your number of entries, time allotted overall, etc, but I have to admit, it also depends on the complexity of costume and number of people in the group. And the more complicated the costumes, the more time it's going to take just because there is a lot to go over and you want to be sure (especially in the cases of Masters and some journeymen) that you're finding out every last detail that could possibly sway the award one way or the other - in case you've got a very talented field and very tight race, it's those little details that you discover while judging that make or break the award.

But I do try to not spend more than 5-8 minutes max with an entry. There's a little leeway for very large groups with a lot they need to tell the judges, and a lot of people to wrangle and inspect, but anything with 1-3 people should run more like 3-5 minutes at the most. In the cases of some beginners, I can tell with a visual inspection in under a minute.

As for deliberations...man, I can't imagine a scenario in which all the awards would be ready as soon as the stage show is over. No, wait, I guess it could happen if the stage presentation had absolutely no bearing on the awards at all, and the judging was finished well before the show even started. Then maybe. But if that's the case, why the stage portion at all?

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Agree with ^; with some simpler costumes it'll take me only a minute or two; with a more complex group it can take up to 10 minutes but shouldn't really take longer than that.

I've judged a couple shows where they wanted the awards very shortly after the show ended (like 30min or less) and it was utterly brutal. I don't like being rushed like that.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

For me, a minute is way too short. At one con I've been to the limit was 3 minutes, and they literally had a timer. I actually found it too short for the costume I had made, and I think maybe 5-7 minutes would have been nice. At another con I asked how long they liked to take and the woman said 20 minutes to half an hour! I couldn't possibly talk that long, and it would have been very thorough, but I think that was a little much. Or a lot much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm-hime View Post
I've judged a couple shows where they wanted the awards very shortly after the show ended (like 30min or less) and it was utterly brutal. I don't like being rushed like that.
But with shows like that, the craftsmanship judging is done (hopefully) long beforehand, is it not? Then really the only people being rushed are the performance judges.
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Amanita

And it's worse when you're presenting an original character- if I'm doing a Skyscraper-Avatar, I like to show how I worked details of the real building design into the outfit, and maybe how the building's history affected the design (A skyscraper that survived fire might wear a phoenix design somewhere, for example) That's in addition to showing how I finished the seams and all that technical stuff. It gets worse if I did something with a lot of different types of craftsmanship- leather, fabric, jewellery making, and so on.
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

I agree. I spent a good few hours yesterday researching Russian clothing because I believe a design to be loosely based off of it, so I'm one of those people that really likes to explain my train of thought.

But really, those poor judges that have to sit there all day all weekend.
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Amanita

Even if it's not an original design, explaining things when you have a lot of different techniques or an intricate costume is gonna take more than one minute.
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Tzigana

Every con that I have been to around me has judging set up in five minute increments. You schedule your judging time for a time during the day before and up to two hours before the masquerade. You have five minutes to be picked over and talked to and then the timer goes off and you're sent on your way. At the masquerade it is simply a fashion show and has no bearing on your score. That being said, for the performance portion you still only have five minutes for judging, but if something goes wrong during your skit on stage during the masquerade it counts again you or at the very least can get you disqualified. At the end of the masquerade they announce the winners in each category.
Tzigana is offline   Reply With Quote