Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 04-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

Weird Problem

So I have always crossplayed as I preferred male characters to female characters. now I've found a couple of female characters I really like and want to cosplay. I've been catching some flax from people who are used to seeing me as a male who are "upset" that I am going to cosplay as a female.

I'm not sure why they are so upset since it's my cosplay not theirs. I don't really give a rats behind what they want me to cosplay as.
Now their saying "Oh we'll stop following you" or "we're not going to be your friend any more." Ummm ok that just show how shallow you really are and who much you suck and frankly I don't want someone like that as my "friend".

Has anyone else ever had this kind of problem?

~2015 Convention Schedule~
Anime Boston, Boston MA
CTcon, Hartford CT
Another Anime Con, Manchester NH

BeanSprout Photography
Ends Beginning is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

Can't say I have any experience with that. You've got the right perspective on it though.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
ArcaneSpringbrd

Great attitude.

2015 Cosplay
---------------------
Lolita Doll
Scarlett O'Hara prayer dress
ArcaneSpringbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Swiftstart

i've seen it happen to artists on DA where they stop drawing fanart for a particular fandom and people get bitchy.
Never had it happen to myself xD
I guess people start to think the creator is subject to their wants/dependant on the fan base and figure that their threatening to leave is enough to get what they want

which is sad
Unread 04-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
belligerent
Viking Metal

I'll admit that it weirds me out slightly when somebody I know who always cosplays dudes suddenly cosplays a chick, just in the sense that I'm really not used to seeing them as a girl, but telling somebody they shouldn't do it is kind of a dick move.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Khorrupt

In regards to them: wah, wah. You're not forcing them to cosplay characters with you, so it's not their choice, and if it really bothers them enough that they're saying "we're not going to be your friend anymore if you want to dress up as a female", well, that doesn't sound like that good of a friend to me :/

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~Princess Aurora [ Blue ] (Sleeping Beauty) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #7
Ion
イオン

I usually cosplay bishounen-type guys but even so, some of my friends were really thrown off when I made Elsa (Frozen) but they were not negative about my decision in any way. They just were not used to seeing me in a dress, let alone with full lady makeup etc. and did not know I could look like that.

I agree with others: these do not sound like true friends if a simple change in costume is going to tip them over the edge and suddenly "break" this "friendship". If they are going to act like that, you can do better/find better friends. Life is too short to let the bastards get you down.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

Yeah I don't let it bother me. I just brush it off and keep on keeping on. I mean come on they are ok with me when I dress normal and for Christ sake I was pregnant for a convention and didn't cosplay so I was clearly female. Why wasn't that a problem, but now that I'm not pregnant and I want to cosplay a female it is wrong? Ok big red flag.

It hasn't stopped me as my signature shows I am making great strides on my Washu Hakubi cosplay and have Motoko Kusanagi in the works. So go ahead ruin your own con experience by hating on me. See my care face

~2015 Convention Schedule~
Anime Boston, Boston MA
CTcon, Hartford CT
Another Anime Con, Manchester NH

BeanSprout Photography
Ends Beginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #9
Anna Renée
Photographer

I've never experienced this personally as some of my Cosplay friends Crossplay and do female characters. I've had bad experiences with people who nowhere near deserved my friendship but it had nothing to do specifically with Cosplaying.

I totally agree with everyone else's responses. These "friends" definitely are not real friends if they're saying they'll walk out on you if you start doing female Cosplays. There's something wrong with that picture.

Attending Conventions:
Otakon- Katsucon
Future Attending Conventions:
Zenkaikon
Cosplays:
Uzumaki Naruto- Orochimaru- Nara Shikamaru
Dr. Franken Stein- Maka Albarn
Naraku
Demyx- Zexion
Anna Renée is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
builder396
Crossplayer

I had this problem too on gamescom, since my crossplay did come a bit of a surprise to my friend i met there, and they made similar comments
In the end its the people that are your friends that you are most likely to get hate from, ironically. Maybe because they dont have to be that polite about it because they are your friends, or whatnot, still, if they cant get used to it, then they can find someone else who doesnt carry around false breasts with him, if thats so much of a problem.

Planned cosplays:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)
Black Rock Shooter (Black Rock Shooter)
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)

Maybes:
Ayumu Aizawa (Kore was Zombie desu ka?)
Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Shinji Ikari (Neon genesis Evangelion)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #11
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Good riddance. Real friends will be happy that you're having so much fun with your cos- and crossplaying, I can tell you

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote