Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 05-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
squonk

Question Hair Removal Options?

Hey!

The costumes I'm thinking of attempting would require a substantial "haircut" - if not total removal - of my bikini line to wear a high-cut bodysuit.

What are your suggestions / preferred methods?

Thanks.
squonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
squonk

Red face Shaving vs Creams

I've decided that it will be less hassle to just remove everything. It will not only look cleaner, but will make tucking easier.

That being said, aside from either laser or waxing, my options are shaving or using creams such as Veet. Any advice on either would be appreciated.

squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
oathtoorder
sheik ftw

It depends on how much hair you have. If there's a lot, I'd do waxing as it's quicker. If there's not a whole lot of hair, just shave it. I wouldn't use a hair removal cream. If you leave it on too long by accident it tears your flesh away, can scar your skin, and it burns like a mofo at times. It's not pretty.

If you're going to wax, make sure you get a waxing kit that is meant for your bikini line

You'll also need to prep your skin a bit.

If your hair is really long, you'll want to trim it down a bit.

Start by washing the area with warm (not hot) water and soap

Next you're going to want to exfoliate your skin. Get an exfoliating cream (I recommend St. Ives purifying sea salt body wash) from your local drug store and wash your hair with that in gentle circular motions. The purpose of exfoliating is to remove dead skin cells from your hair follicles so when you wax you're not left with ingrown hairs.

Be sure to wax in the direction that your hair grows, if you can tell. It helps reduce ingrown hairs.

After you wax, hop back in the shower and gently wash your hair with the exfoliating wash. It will help get the wax residue off, and help with any pain. Tweeze any remaining hairs and you're done

Now onto shaving. You're also gonna want to prep your skin a bit.

I recommend trimming your hair if it's a bit long. It'll cut down shaving time.

Wash your hair with the exfoliating wash in a gentle circular motion

Apply shaving cream to your hair (to prevent nicks and razor bumps)

Get a new razor wet, and start shaving. Shave slowly and evenly in the direction your hair is going. Be sure to wet the razor every 2-3 strokes.

If your hair is really thick and curly, you can use an electric razor to trim your hair before you go to shave.

Remember to NEVER SHAVE DRY.

If you do get razor bumps afterward, you can put something like witch hazel (sold at drugstores) on them to help heal them.

I'm sorry this was a bit long lol, but that's my advice for hair removal good luck!
Unread 06-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
mng46

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk View Post
I've decided that it will be less hassle to just remove everything. It will not only look cleaner, but will make tucking easier.

That being said, aside from either laser or waxing, my options are shaving or using creams such as Veet. Any advice on either would be appreciated.

I think it just depends on your skin. I have very sensitive skin and tend to go for waxing when removing hair from my bikini line and 'intimate areas' because it's less irritating for my skin. Also, when waxing you have less of a chance of getting ingrown hairs which can be uncomfortable. I would not recommend Veet myself, though I have friends who have used it without a problem, I tend to break out when using it. I would say waxing is your best bet!
mng46 is offline   Reply With Quote