Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #16
maybemelancholy
{risa}

I actually used this method for my female iron man costume!!! the ONLY problem is that for Iron Man, it is a full body armor and so it's very costly to get enough vinyl + foam to cover the entire body, with all it's complex parts

but here's my costume :3

The entire chest piece is made with cardboard and vinyl on top, but then i gave up and just used foam instead LOL

Unread 09-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
Blackbanshee

This is perfect because I am so damn tired of looking up "how to paint EVA foam" threads, videos, tutorials etc. There is so many different techniques and they are all mega expensive.

2 QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS TECHNIQUE
1) Did you used 4-way stretch or 2-way stretch fabric?
2) Im using this technique on leg armor. Would you recommend molding the foam to the shape I want before or after applying the PVC fabric?

Thank you so much for posting this! This will save me so many grey hairs.
Unread 12-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Vozreni

For anyone around who has experience with this technique:

Is there a particular reason for gluing only the edge of the foam and vinyl?
As opposed to spreading the glue over the whole surface of the foam?

Is this just a reaction between the glue and vinyl? I believe some other tutorials spread adhesives all over.
Vozreni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #19
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vozreni View Post

Is this just a reaction between the glue and vinyl? I believe some other tutorials spread adhesives all over.
Can't say for sure, but I think it has to do with the whole lump thing. Like you would be able to see bumps where the glue was since it's tight on the foam. Just like if you wore a zentai suit, but had a piece of cardboard under the suit, you'd be able to tell it was there. Same idea. here.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #20
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vozreni View Post

Jason's right, using glue over the whole surface of the foam would create lumps where the glue what which would take away from the fact that it looks like metal or armor. (:
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo_m. View Post
Jason's right, using glue over the whole surface of the foam would create lumps where the glue what which would take away from the fact that it looks like metal or armor. (:
WOOHOO!! Freakin shot in the dark there too lol Thanks for letting me know I was right haha
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #22
Tyhm000
Regular User

That's gorgeous...
What about sticky-back craft foam? I was going to try that with Chrome giftwrap...not very flexible, but it could make some gorgeous bracers...my first attempt was...a little wrinkly...I'll see if I can find it to take pictures.

Edit: found it

Last edited by Tyhm000 : 01-04-2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: found it
Tyhm000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #23
MoonWingSamurai

I've been making faux armor using the foam and vinyl technique since 2005, and here is what I learned after years of practice. You can find large rolls (36" x 60") or sheets (9" x 12" or 12" x 18") of craft foam under the brand name Darice or Foamies. The thicknesses run from 2mm up to 6mm (which is very stiff and does not bend easily). I usually buy my craft foam from www.createforless.com. For the vinyl, be sure to use the type that is suitable for clothing, not "marine vinyl" or "upholstery vinyl" (both of which are too thick for faux armor purposes). Also be sure the vinyl has a fabric backing (otherwise the vinyl by itself will be too thin and any imperfections, marks or colors on the foam will clearly show through). Nearly all clothing vinyl has a fabric backing, but sometimes it doesn't, so just double check to be sure. It really doesn't matter if you use 2-way or 4-way stretch vinyl. It all works pretty much the same way when using it for faux armor. I prefer to use a spray adhesive to attach the vinyl to the foam instead of any type of liquid or paste glue. Spray adhesive goes on smoothly, it covers the entire foam piece, and you can re-position the vinyl if necessary. I would also recommend any part of the armor that is curved or round that you bend it into shape first before apply the vinyl. If you apply the vinyl first and then try to bend the piece into shape, it may not work correctly. The vinyl actually makes the foam stiffer, so you may end up with wrinkles or the foam not bending exactly the way you want it to. Most vinyl vendors will send you sample swatches for a dollar or less each if you want to see the actual colors of a fabric since it can be difficult to judge onscreen. Comparison shop online for the vinyl. I check ebay first then expand my search to other fabric sites. It can be tough finding everything you need from one vendor, so you may end up having to buy from a few different sources to gather all the colors you need. Recently I had to order some vinyl on ebay that came all the way from South Korea. Measure, measure, measure! There is nothing worse than running out of foam or vinyl in the middle of your project.
Foam and vinyl armor is a great option as long as you plan your design very carefully and purchase your supplies wisely.
Unread 01-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #24
MoonWingSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbanshee View Post
This is perfect because I am so damn tired of looking up "how to paint EVA foam" threads, videos, tutorials etc. There is so many different techniques and they are all mega expensive.

2 QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS TECHNIQUE
1) Did you used 4-way stretch or 2-way stretch fabric?
2) Im using this technique on leg armor. Would you recommend molding the foam to the shape I want before or after applying the PVC fabric?

Thank you so much for posting this! This will save me so many grey hairs.
After nearly 10 years of making faux armor using the foam and vinyl technique, I've found that it doesn't make much difference regarding the 2-way or 4-way stretch vinyl. I usually just buy whichever is the cheapest. I would definitely recommend molding, shaping or bending the foam into the final shape BEFORE applying the vinyl. The foam will become stiffer after the vinyl is applied and it may not behave the way you would like it to, and the vinyl may wrinkle on the edge of the foam when you bend it into a curve.
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #25
VulsaviiK

It's cool, I think I'm still going to go with the polyurethane resin covering though
VulsaviiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #26
jzerot1437

I'm experimenting with this for my Samus aran varia suit--is there a particular type of spray adhesive you suggest for attaching the foam to the vinyl?
jzerot1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 02:36 AM   #27
tehravingalice

any one looking for it online in 5mm http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en
tehravingalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #28
jzerot1437

Also, how do you deal with gaps between pieces with this armor style? I was using hot glue / heat gunning to fill gaps with paint--with this one, could I just put vinyl on the back to create a "blanket" color to match between pieces under the gaps? It won't look perfect, but it could help.
jzerot1437 is offline   Reply With Quote