Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Unread 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
senshisbard

Creativity vs. accuracy? (Rapunzel)

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on the Disney thread after lurking for a while, hehe. I was wondering if I could get some input on an issue that's been plaguing me since I started my Rapunzel cosplay over Thanksgiving. I've looked around at some of your gorgeous cosplays and have been floored by how screen- or park-accurate you have made them. That was originally my goal, too. But when I hit up the fabric store, I ended up choosing colors that didn't really match the movie. The bodice is a medium fuschia shade and the faux camisole she wears is pink with a flower design instead of lavender. The skirt fabrics are also a bit darker than in the movie.

So of course I'm having a mini crisis in that I'm not going to be very accurate and I'm wondering how much that has mattered to you in the past - have you had costumes where you took a lot of liberties and felt happier because of it? Or do you try to stick to every detail?

Just wanting to hear some thoughts. Thanks!
senshisbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
kiggi

as you can see, mine is not screen or parks accurate but still reads as rapunzel. i am all about creative spins on a character as long as they are still recognizable

have fun!!!

Last edited by kiggi : 10-15-2013 at 12:43 PM.
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
senshisbard

Wow, I love how you made the bodice, that fabric is gorgeous. The pink center panel of the skirt is a cool touch, too. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. Lovely cosplay!
senshisbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
kiggi

thanks!!
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Aeviking
Fantasy worlds explorer

Well, I'm remading mine just because the color and the fabric. I decided to redone it all, more accurate and without some little mistakes. It's who I am. If you don't care much about make it just like in the movie or in the parks, you have a lot of creative options. I've seen Rapunzel cosplays in purple, pink, and even in strange colors. I've seen large drawings for the front panel and even people own's designs. The thing is to have fun, do it as you like. If you want it accurate, more work and research, if you want to be yourself, let your creativity fly, just like Rapunzel would do! Good luck!
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

I think it all just matters about what's most important to you. I have many cosplaying friends that strive for absolute screen accuracy, because it's important to them. For my cosplays, I'm all about artistic license. Usually, I do that when I find a fabric that I think will drape/photograph better or looks less "costumey", but it might not be quite the right color. Or I'll modify a costume for comfort's sake (like adding straps to a strapless gown), or practicality (adding buckles where they would appear in a real set of armor, for example).

So yeah, if it's really bothering you deep-down that the fabric doesn't look the same, go with your gut. If you really love the fabric you bought, but you're more worried about living up to some vague cosplay community standard, ignore those doubts and do what you want. You're the one who will wear it, after all, and it's most important that it's something you enjoy.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
singleperfectio
Hey its me!

I take some creative liberties with my costumes. I will modify things that I know wont flatter my body, or change colors that I know don't look good with my skin tone. While I do try to make them fairly screen accurate, I also think that a sign of a good cosplayer is one who is confident enough in themselves that they feel free to make changes. You should be enjoying wearing the costume, no matter how accurate or inaccurate it is. After all, you are the one who is wearing it, not anyone else. :3

Attending -
Katsucon *FEB* - Hiccup (how to Train Your Dragon), Austria (Hetalia), Rose Tyler (Dr Who)
Zenkaikon *MARCH*- Hiccup, Austria, Finland (scandinavia and the World), PJ!Ukraine (Hetalia - original design), Sherlock (BBC's Sherlock)
Anime Weekend Atlanta *Sep* - Medusa (Soul Eater), Yuuka (Touhou Project), Ukraine or Belarus (Hetalia)

Possibly -
Anime Next *JUNE*
Otakon *AUG*
singleperfectio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
Bizarro Amy

If it's your first time making the costume, I'd say just go with what you already have. It may end up better than you expect, plus yours will be unique. If it really bothers you, you can always upgrade later on.
Bizarro Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
chocobotails
just like a cloud

Hi there~!

I've done Rapunzel for I think maybe a full year and a half now and I really can connect with you on buying fabrics and seeing all these different outcomes. The fact is that no two costumes are going to be alike. There ARE Rapunzel's who I've come across that look very similar to the Disney parks Rapunzel, that's what they go for...and most of the time they get that bubbly pink and lavender color of Disneyland Rapunzel perfectly! But when you see the people that go off the movie, there is a large variety of colors! We all have different perspective on how something's going to come out and in the end I DO think that having such liberties and creativity is great because then it makes no two Rapunzel's alike. It'd be boring if we all just cosplayed with the same exact colors and fabric, its interesting to see the differences because that's how that person saw the costume in comparison to your own! For me, I DO try to stick to every detail very vigorously...but some details don't work out or the outcome is not what you expected. For me, it'd be all the work I did on my flower pattern's for Rapunzel...only to see that they really don't show up that well on my fabric in pictures. Plus, being my first costume I messed up the bodice pattern and it came out way shorter than I had wanted, but I'm still proud of it because no one as far as I've seen has made one that's looked like mine and that makes me feels unique. I get envious of certain Rapunzel's cosplays, but I don't let it bring me down because in the end what I made is 100% unique to me.

My Rapunzel:

Last edited by chocobotails : 10-10-2013 at 05:03 PM.
chocobotails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
Glitterpeach01

I love altering Disney/ Non-Disney costumes For one, if you make the costumes look EXACTLY the same as the cartoon, well... they'll look cartoony! And a little cheesy...
I like to think to myself "Okay, if they were a real character from their world/ time period, what would they be wearing??" and just kind of go from there
I have seen some AMAZING accurate- costumes from these movies, and also some really awesome re-imagined costumes too!
Go for whatever will look the best on you, and you feel the most comfortable wearing!!
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
MingoMeep

I think that the greatest thing about Disney cosplays is that since the characters are so recognizable that exact accuracy doesn't really account for much. Even the official Disney merchandise make the characters somewhat different then the original film design (more sparkles, different shades, more swirls etc). The Disney parks also take creative liberty on the face characters and may not always be coherent to the original film (I mean they even had to make up a gown for Ariel > u <). This just goes to show that don't let things like different shades and exact details let you down because it'll be equally Rapunzely or Disneyish as it gets. c:
MingoMeep is offline   Reply With Quote