Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
HelloKittyQueen
Strange and Adorable :3

Help On Making This Parasol?

Hello! I was hoping that someone could help me/ give me pointers on creating this parasol?

Do I buy a regular black lace parasol? Do I need to start from scratch? Anything will help! Thanks so much
Balalaika from Black Lagoon ----> In progress
HelloKittyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

If I were going to do it, I would start with a pink parasol and paint the designs and add the black trim. It looks like the fishnet looking part is solid and not lace.

Making a parasol cover from scratch can be a big ol' pain in the butt because if you don't measure and sew everything perfectly precisely, it will look like a hot mess.
Unread 11-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
HelloKittyQueen
Strange and Adorable :3

Thanks! That's what I thought too. Have any idea of how I can make the handle detailing and the bow on the top?
Balalaika from Black Lagoon ----> In progress
HelloKittyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

You may run into trouble if you can only find a 'J' handled parasol rather than a straight one, because you'll have to figure out how to pull it off before you can do the detailing. The top choice would be making a mold and casting it in resin, but not everyone has the skills or work area to do that. I think I'd choose a polymer clay for the bottom otherwise (although you'd have to glue it on) because I think a paper clay handle would run into durability issues. If this costume is just for photoshoots, I would probably go with paper clay though.

I'd just make a fabric bow for the top and sew it on. A hard sculpted one would probably take a huge beating during a con.

Last edited by kaligoddess : 11-29-2012 at 08:09 AM.
kaligoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I did a really quick search on eBay for pink parasols and came across this one. It might be a good base for you to start and has a straight handle instead of the hooked one. eBay can be your friend for stuff like this to start out with. If that one doesn't look like something you want, just search pink parasol and you get a ton of listings. I've ordered parasols from there before and had no trouble with them.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
VickyAmis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligoddess View Post
If I were going to do it, I would start with a pink parasol and paint the designs and add the black trim. It looks like the fishnet looking part is solid and not lace.

Making a parasol cover from scratch can be a big ol' pain in the butt because if you don't measure and sew everything perfectly precisely, it will look like a hot mess.
Good idea!
VickyAmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
Chibipicpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligoddess View Post

Mm, not necessarily true if you use the parasol cover as a template. Now if you had a parasol without a cover, then there's room for error. Then you can use the appropriate fabric. As long as it's not a really tightly woven fabric (like canvas or the like) then it should be fine. Quilter's cotton works well.

Here's a tutorial on how to cover a parasol (you have to go through the thread, but I've been using this tutorial to cover all my parasols)

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=10724

Actually I'd start with a white parasol, since the handle is white. For the end, perhaps sculpting it? If you're not artistically inclined I would try to find something that has weight that would stand up to it, like large beads and whatnot. They can be painted the correct color.

The bow's easy! There's a ton of tutorials for bows. Since it needs to stand up, I'd put something in between the layers, like interfacing or something heavier, so it'll stay up.

Hope that helps!
Chibipicpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
Derpstra
Seamstress

Buy an umbrella from the dollar store to test your ideas on before you start on your parasol. It's better to mess up and waste a dollar than to waste twenty dollars on a ruined parasol. :]
Derpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
highsky

Here's this parasol tutorial that you may be able to use. I was thinking of trying it out sometime, but haven't gotten the chance, but it looks fairly easy enough to follow.