Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 12-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Catscatscats
Skill-Lacker

Would you hate a cosplay because they don't have contacts?

Hi! I've always wanted contacts because I hate wearing glasses, but when I found out about Circle Lenses I wanted them like MAAAAD.

Then I found out about the Black Sclera contacts and wanted them, too.

But I've been to my eye doctor as well as my regular doctor and they said my eyes aren't good for contacts. I'm not exactly sure what this means, but apparently (on the inside) my eyes are shaped weird. I don't even know if this possible or not, but as much as I want contacts and lenses, according to them, it wouldn't be good for my eyes.

So I was just wondering, are contacts that big of a deal? I admit they enhance a cosplay but if I can't wear them I don't want to have a poopie costume just because of that.

But seriously just look at those omfg they're perfect

Unread 12-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

I'm one who doesn't care about if a cosplay contains contacts or not. Being able to see is much more important than having the character's eye color, that people probably won't notice unless they're two feet away.

I have a contact prescription, but I don't like wearing them. I prefer just walking around slightly blind when in cosplay, or wearing my glasses when I'm not.

If your doctors say not to wear contacts due to there being something wrong with your eyes, then don't wear contacts. By going against what your doctors say, you can cause serious damage to your eyes, so just learn to go without.

If you don't want a poopie costume, spend more time making the costume itself perfect.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Libis

Nah, it's not that big of a deal. My boyfriend can't wear contacts either.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Viveeh
necrocarnival

I never cared for contacts, I don't think they're important at all.
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

I personally wear them because I think they can do wonders for photos and look more natural in them, but they aren't nessicary! Especially walking around a convention where no one is likely to see because they don't usually get so close and are most likely looking at the costume itself... We have a group of 5 people on a regular cosplay day, and 2 cant wear contacts because one has astigmatism and the other has a scratched cornea and can't wear lenses because of it... it never matters at an con, and in photos we just use photoshop to edit their eyes the right colour...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I agree with what everyone is saying. Contacts don't really matter. There are many reasons why a person cannot have them and they can't really be faulted for it. I, personally, as someone with 20/20 vision, am terrified of having anything in my eyes so there's no way I would wear contacts. For photoshoots, and such, there's always photoshop to get the eyes the right color.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Contacts enhance a cosplay, absolutely. But nothing in this hobby if ever "necessary". It's always a choice. If you can't wear or afford contacts, there's always photoshop!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Qu-ko
please wake up

It's perfectly understandable, in my opinion, if someone can't (or doesn't want to) use contacts. One, they can be expensive and a hassle to acquire properly, especially if you don't normally wear contacts. Two, there is the chance you can damage your eyes if you're not careful, if you buy from someone who isn't careful, or if you cut corners and don't consult someone who knows what they're doing.

If your doctors both say your eyes are a bad fit for contacts, you definitely shouldn't risk it, and I don't think anyone will judge you for it, either. Cosmetic lenses should be considered an added extra, not an extremely important component of a cosplay the same way wigs and outfits are. Especially if you're talking about theatrical scleral lenses like the ones you gave a picture of, because not only are those things bigger and far less comfortable than normal lenses, they're easier to accidentally screw up your eyes with.

Cosmetic lenses are nice things to have if you want the popping anime-eye effect, but they're not necessary, not everyone can use them even if they wanted to, and I definitely wouldn't fault anyone for not using them.
Qu-ko is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Catscatscats
Skill-Lacker

Thank you, everyone! I just wanted to make sure since I've never talked with other cosplayers until I signed up for this website.

And @ThakYuki, Haha of course! The costume itself is always my main priority : ) Thank you.

I appreciate it everyone, this had been bugging me for a while. Someone should invent coloured eye-drops, so when you put the drops in your eye it makes your irises change colour for like 24 hrs. or something.
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
vervv
Vervv

Sounds like someone has an astigmatism! Its pretty common, and I know a lot of cosplayers that can't use contacts. Since this is the case, not having contacts is widely accepted and you shouldn't feel bad about not being able to wear contacts.

Now, they do sell color changing drops, but do not get them. Do not get them. DO NOT GET THEM. Your iris is a muscle, and any drop that promises to change your iris is a horrendous idea as far as safety goes.
vervv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
MelodicMadness
Cosplay Obsessed

Color changing drops... just the name alone sounds like it'll blind someone! Why do they even make those?

And as for the contacts, I agree with everyone else. I have 20/20 vision and I've tried contacts a few times for cosplays but they are unbearable on my eyes so I just gave up. If you can't wear them, then you can't wear them, so it's no biggie
MelodicMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I think contacts for cosplay look amazing for sincerely altered shapes and colour like red, Sclera, enlarged lenses (circle lens) and cat eyes.

Most of them time you don't notice the colour of a contact otherwise and they tend to get lost in the photo anyway unless they are an extreme colour.

I'm going to give contact one more go because I want Nehelenia cat eyes but you really need to practice wearing them months before a con as well to build up a tolerance to having them on.

Here a few things I've used it on.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/870094/

Nobody Patch
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1289547/

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 12-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Ani_BEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

I agree... contacts can enhance a cosplay, but they're by no means "required". (I use quotation marks, because really, nothing is actually required for cosplay... it's just a fun hobby after all).

I wear corrective lenses daily, so I'm comfortable wearing contacts. However, my eyesight is so terrible that they just do not make colored contacts in my prescription unless I have them custom-made. (And that can run me a few hundred dollars, which is really prohibitive for something I'll wear only once or twice).

So yeah... I've cosplayed as a blue-eyed Madam Red. It's pretty noticeable with her, since everything else about her is so very red. (Red hair, red hat, and red lipstick made my eyes really stand out). I received a number of compliments on the costume, and not one person commented on my eyes being the wrong color.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Venciel Links

I think wigs are more important then contacts. Yeah contacts are the icing on the cake, but they don't hurt the costume if you can't get them.
Venciel Links is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
SugarDust

They do enhance a cosplay, especially if the character you are cosplaying has an unnatural eye colour such as red or black. But personally I don't think they are necessary. They are damn hard to get used to putting on and taking off; they're not for everyone. I've tried them and I hate them, but that's because I dont like touching my eye. Some people can't wear them either, so it isn't really fair to say they're essential.
SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote