Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 11-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
aipe

Best makeup to use for *Wreck It Ralph spoiler*?

I've never used any kind of makeup when cosplaying, so I don't know what brand is the best to use.
If you've seen Wreck it Ralph, you should know the character I speak of. He has gray skin, so that's what I'm looking for.
I will also be working at a table selling things, so the makeup cannot get all over anything.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
aipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

I used Kryolan Aquacolor to paint myself purple for a recent cosplay. It's easy to apply and comes in gray. If you do a good job of prepping your skin with witch hazel, or even better, No-Sweat, and give yourself a liberal coat of Fixer Spray on top, it should stay on pretty well.

It will not rub off with casual contact if properly sealed, but it can rub on anything you have excessive contact with or if you rub against something forcefully (the collar of my shirt was kind of purple by the end of the day), so I would avoid using it on your hands. If I remember correctly, the character you're referring to has a full jumpsuit and gloves, so you should be fine on that part, though.

My full review with links to some photos can be found here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=303074

There are alternatives that will not rub off as easily, such as PAX. There's a good thread on PAX here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=216634 I chose Aquacolor because I wanted to be able to remove the makeup easily later, and because it's a much simpler process to apply.

Last edited by TheFontBandit : 11-30-2012 at 02:38 PM.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Akune-chan

I would go with Ben Nye MagiCakes.

They are a water base makeup that barely needs any prepping. It barely rubbed off on anything that I was in contact with and I used it on my face, neck, hands, forearm and feet. It barely need reapplying and it can be seen here in action during NYCC 2010 convention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chu5qjSQr3w
(Please ignore the fact that I forgot to put it on my hands. I didn't have time too lol)

However I suggest getting Ben Nye Final Seal Spray just in case. =] I used that on my hands and feet and the makeup stayed on pretty well. I suggest layering the makeup onto your face a few times with a spray in between for extra strength.