Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Legend of Zelda Lightsaber Duel

This is my dream skit idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_q67gWkOlU

Ever since I saw this video, I have been dying to recreate the final battle of Twilight Princess with Lightsabers. Link with a green saber and Ganondorf with a red one.

I will be attending the LA Anime Expo and San Diego Comic Con this year as a Jedi Link and I was wondering if any Zelda and/or Star Wars cosplayers would be interested in doing this mashup combo for a skit.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

What kind of lightsabers will you be using? Just an FYI, but if you want something that lights up, you'll need a blade that's dueling quality, which can be spendy. Something like a Master Replicas or any other blade that isn't dueling quality will break if you hit it against something too hard (like another saber).

If you're not looking for something that lights up or anything, you could get a toy lightsaber and use those-- they're cheap, though they'll probably bend if you smack them too hard. You could probably remove the folding blade from the plastic hilt and attach a pole inside that you've painted green or red...
Blue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
Suuki
Kyle Broflovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Leader View Post
What kind of lightsabers will you be using? Just an FYI, but if you want something that lights up, you'll need a blade that's dueling quality, which can be spendy. Something like a Master Replicas or any other blade that isn't dueling quality will break if you hit it against something too hard (like another saber).

If you're not looking for something that lights up or anything, you could get a toy lightsaber and use those-- they're cheap, though they'll probably bend if you smack them too hard. You could probably remove the folding blade from the plastic hilt and attach a pole inside that you've painted green or red...
I had a bunch of lightsabers when I was younger. My brother and I were rough with the plastic ones.. (big Star Wars fans. xD) They never broke no matter what we did.. But I guess better to be safe than sorry.
----
Anime LA '15
WonderCon '15
Anime Conji '15
Ninja Con '15
Anime Expo '15
San Diego Comic Con '15
Suuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Amanita

I would recommend www.ultrasabers.com . I've bought quite a few things from them, and I'm quite happy. If you want simple sabers, they offer several nice models for under $100 if you get them without sound. Adding sound adds quite a bit to the cost, so if money's a concern, skip it.

For light contact duelling, the midgrade blades they offer should be fine. If you want to really bang them together full force, heavy grade is best.

Now, you do not want to use those licensed replica sabers- the blades in those are made using LED strips up the inside of the blade. Sparring with those can cause the fine wires connecting the LEDS to break, leaving ugly dark spots in the blade. Sabers built for duelling, such as the offerings from Ultrasabers tend to have a single powerful LED inside the hilt, so there's nothing inside the blade to get broken.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I would recommend www.ultrasabers.com . I've bought quite a few things from them, and I'm quite happy. If you want simple sabers, they offer several nice models for under $100 if you get them without sound. Adding sound adds quite a bit to the cost, so if money's a concern, skip it.

For light contact duelling, the midgrade blades they offer should be fine. If you want to really bang them together full force, heavy grade is best.

Now, you do not want to use those licensed replica sabers- the blades in those are made using LED strips up the inside of the blade. Sparring with those can cause the fine wires connecting the LEDS to break, leaving ugly dark spots in the blade. Sabers built for duelling, such as the offerings from Ultrasabers tend to have a single powerful LED inside the hilt, so there's nothing inside the blade to get broken.
I am actually considering an Ultrasabers blade for my mashup. I was interested in one with removable claws so I can take them off and spray paint them blue to make it look a little bit like Link's Master Sword.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
Unread 03-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
Amanita

Yeah, there's a few sabers with claws that they offer- you might like the raven, warglaive, or malice. Normally, the malice might be an issue at some conventions, as its claws are shaped and finished so that they look like knife blades, but are completely dull. However, if you slapped some paint on them, that might change things. That's a huge saber though, perhaps the war glaive might be a good choice.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Yeah, there's a few sabers with claws that they offer- you might like the raven, warglaive, or malice. Normally, the malice might be an issue at some conventions, as its claws are shaped and finished so that they look like knife blades, but are completely dull. However, if you slapped some paint on them, that might change things. That's a huge saber though, perhaps the war glaive might be a good choice.
Funny enough I was seriously thinking about the War Glave model.

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo