Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 12-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
AmandaShotgun
Amanda Shotgun

Cutting Boots to Fit Under Boot Covers

I have a pair of boots that my mom gave me to use with boot covers. They fit under the boot covers perfectly, but I would like to glue the boot covers to the boots to make everything easier. The problem is that the boots have a zipper on the side and I can't get my feet in them if they aren't unzipped first. They are a couple inches over the ankle, so if they were cut down I wouldn't need to zip them. I was wondering if there was any way I could cut them to the size I need and remove the zipper? I don't own a sewing machine so if there's any sewing involved, note that it will be done by hand.

Armageddicon 2012
Day 1: Harley Quinn (Arkham City)
Day 2: Kitana (Mortal Kombat 9)
Day 3: Too tired to get dressed
AmandaShotgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

overall removing a zipper and resewing it will mess with the way the shoe will fit. dont do it. what is the material of the boot cover?
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Generally you make boot covers to fit a particular pair of shoes, not the other way around...especially if you want the covers permanently attached.

It would be less laborious to use the existing covers as a pattern to design and construct a new set of covers meant to work with the boot closure.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Drensik

I'm not sure if you're still looking for input on this, but you might be able to tightly whip stitch around the zipper while it's zipped up. Whip stitch it up to the point where you'd want to cut the boots off and take a heavy duty pair of scissors to cut off the excess material and the zipper. Just make sure you don't cut the zipper below where you whip-stitched it, it will be a lot harder to sew it up without it being zipped! (Alternatively, you could use a heavy-duty stapler to staple along the zipper, but you'd want to line the boots if you did so that the staples wouldn't scratch you) Also, if you were to use this method, you'd probably want to finish the cut edges with something, even if it's just hot gluing on some bias tape, since the edges will probably be fairly jagged, especially on the zipper.
Drensik is offline   Reply With Quote