Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Hypothetically speaking.... if someone mistaken you and was so happy to see this...

character they thought you were, would you correct them, or would you let them live in the moment of seeing a cosplayer of this character they never expected?

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Sayoria is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

I'd just go with it. Make their day, unless you really have no idea who the character is. Then I'd thank them, maybe give a hug if you/they're so inclined (hugs seem to be convention currency?), and hurry off.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

I think I also would go with it. Not break the dream of the person right? However, if they start talking about the show or obviously want a picture, I probably will say I'm not the character they think I am.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
ShadowCharizard
Pokétopia Master

Hm... I think I might be in the minority and correct the person.

I can't see anyone getting so excited over a cosplay that they start crying, nor believe that the mistaken cosplay would make anyone's "dream come true." Besides, what if that person wants to get into a discussion over this character? Chances are, I would have never even heard of the original game / anime, and end up either looking like an idiot for cosplaying something I knew nothing about OR a jerk for straight-up lying to the poor individual. Too many awkward feels.
ShadowCharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Ilafatyu
That guy

Charizard: It might be because I've been spending a lot of time with someone diagnosed with Alzheimer's, but I don't consider not correcting someone to be grounds for being labelled a lying jerk. I see it more as making a quick deviation from strict truth to make someone happy. Chances are this person will never be seen again, so there's no point in bursting their bubble.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Seconding "awkward feels". I've had this happen once. The poor guy was so excited that he ran across the hotel courtyard to see me. I couldn't really pretend because I only vaguely knew the show he was talking about, so I had to let him down.

Would have been a bit awkward no matter my reaction, really.

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

I'm still not sure how someone can be such a huge fan of a character, yet not notice you actually look different and subsequently mistake you.
I'd probably tell them unless the exchange was really brief.
In progress:
| Kaworu Nagisa - 85%| Uta - 75%|
| Human!Karkat Vantas - 75%| Seishuu Handa - 50%|
| Final Haikyuu Qest!Tooru Oikawa - 35%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I had someone mistake me for a character that dressed specifically like Alice in Wonderland so I thought it was a pretty easy mistake. They asked if I was 'Alice' and I said yes before they finished and I was like "D: Oh no I am Disney Alice" and they shrugged, took my picture, and thanked me anyway.

I guess to be fair there's not a lot of Disney Alice around at anime cons, they're mostly at Comic Con and specific gatherings.

If it was like, a really excited little kid I might just bite my tongue and not disappoint them. But I don't think it's any big deal.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I had someone mistake me for a character that dressed specifically like Alice in Wonderland so I thought it was a pretty easy mistake. They asked if I was 'Alice' and I said yes before they finished and I was like "D: Oh no I am Disney Alice" and they shrugged, took my picture, and thanked me anyway.

I guess to be fair there's not a lot of Disney Alice around at anime cons, they're mostly at Comic Con and specific gatherings.

If it was like, a really excited little kid I might just bite my tongue and not disappoint them. But I don't think it's any big deal.
They might have thought you were femme England who's name is Alice (after the lewis carroll character) and looks pretty much exactly like her and dresses like her.

I think if someone was brought to tears over my cosplay I'd just be like... "uhm...." and hastily walk away after thanking them. Nope not dealing with people crying over me. If it was a kid I wouldn't crush hopes and dreams.

However in a normal situation, I'd probably say "oh no I'm actually blahdeblah" however guys have come up to me in my Ty Lee costume, asked for a photo and said "Thanks Aerith/Aeris!" and walked away before I could say anything.

Shit happens yo.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I don't think I would correct them, unless they asked me character specific questions that I had no idea how to answer
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Tigersoul

There are a lot of character designs that are generic, and with people often opting to do an 'interpretation' of a character, I can see certain characters being mistaken if they're not iconic in some way, especially if the fan hasnt seen the series in a long time...

Depending on the level of reaction and the age of the fan I might go along with it if I could, if it was just "Hey, Mr X, your so awesome I never thought I'd see an X cosplay from Y! Can I have a Picture? Thank you so much! Kthankxbi!" then I'd just smile and nod, but if they started getting really deep into the series and asking me questions I'd explain that they were mistaken or I'd give them some generic answers if they were really young or really old and say I had to get to a panel. I'm soft heh ^_^

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
MissLunatic
Someone

Actually kind of this happened to me once and I corrected the person about it.
But as Tigersoul already said it depends on the level of reaction and on the age of the person in question.

(In my case it was just a guy who thought it was a cool idea to take pictures of a certain version of Soul from Soul Eater playing the piano... but in fact I was cosplaying the ten years older Gokudera Hayato from KH Reborn! who also has a strong connection with the piano (even more than Soul usually I think).)
Well, it was just my pride to cosplay this certain character I love and I couldn't deny it, plus I was too startled to lie anyway.

Upcoming:
Hotohori (Fushigi Yuugi)
Young Griff (A Song of Ice and Fire - A Dance with Dragons)
Ryoga Hibiki (Ranma 1/2)
Ling Yao (Gluttony's Belly) (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Upgrading:
Kagari Shusei (Psycho-Pass)
Okita Souji (Hakuouki)
MissLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
Kagomekai

That happened to me at Anime North '12 when I was in my Liliana of the veil cosplay and I just went with whatever they thought I was and posed for the picture
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
xIkuna

Yeah, depends on the age. If it was a kid, then I'd go along with it! But if it was another teen, or someone older, I'd definitely correct them. I'd feel bad not correcting them, and I'd feel like I was lying to them.

Cosplays:
Weiss Schnee (White Outfit)- RWBY
Margaery Tyrell- Game of Thrones
Coco- RWBY

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #15
AnimeAndMusical

For me it would depend on the situation, I would be much more inclined to agree with them if I knew the character and series they were referring to. That being said I have never been in that situation, anyone who got my character wrong initially eventually realized who I was on their own.
AnimeAndMusical is offline   Reply With Quote