Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 11-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
heaven_firings

Questions about PAX paint (General Q&A)

I have a few questions and have noticed a few threads popping up lately so I figured why not try starting a general Q&A thread about it. That way everything is in one nice location, at least if something like this pans out. I'm new to it so I can't exactly answer stuff but I'd like to learn more about it.

Q: Are you able to pre-mix PAX paint before you actually intend to use it? Or will it start drying and how long would it last?

Q: Is it okay to use it on the face? Are there any areas to avoid, such as around the eyes?

Q: What is the best process of removing it? I know the remover is typically needed but is there anything else that might make it easier?

Q: Being a guy, is it okay to apply something like this to areas like the arms that have body hair on them? I'd really rather not shave because it would look/feel odd.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
heaven_firings

(space holder post if this thread works out)
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
wolfspeaker

ok so I have only attempted PAX once but i will answer as best I can though anyone with more in depth knowledge please feel free to add/correct as needed I am still learning as well

Q: Are you able to pre-mix PAX paint before you actually intend to use it? Or will it start drying and how long would it last?
You can pre-mix it as long at you store it in a air tight bottle. It should last as long as needed but will probably need a good shake before you use it. make sure the bottle is a close size wise as possible to the amount of PAX in it

Q: Is it okay to use it on the face? Are there any areas to avoid, such as around the eyes?
I have seen people use it on their faces but I personally would not reccomend it. it limits movement and it is not nice having to scrub your face that hard to get it off. using a good quality facepaint and colour matching closely is best

Q: What is the best process of removing it? I know the remover is typically needed but is there anything else that might make it easier?
I did not use the remover I used womens shaving gel. you have to scrub at the PAX to get it to start peeling off then cover in the shaving gel so it foams WAIT for it to work a good 5 - 10 mins then start scrubbing it off. exfoliating gloves/loafer or other scrubbing item can help I just used my nails. took me three applications of the foam and scrubbing to get it off one arm time total - 1 hour
Using the proper remover might be faster and having something to scrub with can help make it faster as well

Q: Being a guy, is it okay to apply something like this to areas like the arms that have body hair on them? I'd really rather not shave because it would look/feel odd.
Yes but be prepared for it to hurt is the simple answer. PAX is glue at the end of the day so everytime you move it tugs on all the hairs it is stuck to, and when you try and take it off it is like trying to get off a really sticky plaster it tugs on all the hairs.
However leaving the body hair on can help the PAX to stick better to you. where I had applied it to my hand it began to peel of within 10 mins of applying, on my arm it did not.

MCM Expo London October

Planned Cosplay

Allen Walker
Captain Toshiro Hitsugaya
Grimmjow Jaegerjaques
wolfspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
sassyesquire
Sassy

Hey there~
wolfspeaker did a pretty good job explaining this already but I hopeful can provide some more clarification on a few? I use PAX pretty often haha

You can actually use it on your face, but I would only recommend this if you are mixing your own paint and pros-aid (which is what pax is) because then you could add extra pros-aid to your paint and make it more flexible. This keeps it from wrinkling on your face really bad. You can put it on your eyes too, but its not really nice seeing as you have to wait for it to dry before opening and being careful to not get it stuck on eyelashes (Using a small paintbrush or something eliminates most of that though) You certainly can if you are just buying the PAX premade but be prepared for a scaly texture.

Ok well, even before removing it I totally recommend using some kind of primer on your skin (I use an anti-chafing powder gel) to protect it while also making it easier to come off during wash time. I just find the weak spots like around the hands and high motion areas like joints and rub it lose and off. Thats just me though.

You can, it will hurt when you take it off a lot more however and if you paint the PAX on in a way opposite of your hair you will see it. It can actually make the PAX flake off easier too because the hair is laying funny and if you scratch near it the hair is looser and is more likely to come off. It can be done though so dont worry. For you, having some sort of primer and watching the way it went on in the parts with hair is essential.

Uhm I hope that was helpful to some degree,, if you even still need the information.
I hope you have a good experience with PAX :3
sassyesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Sweet Loretta

Good info and search PAX as there are some helpful posts here.

Pax can be removed without pain with proper removers (and there are some pro tricks). However not sure I'd want too much remover near delicate areas. I am now using 244 now to remove Prosaide and body adhesives. I also use Unisolve which come in liquid and wipes. There is also Prosaide remover made by Premier the folks who make Prosaide. Remember Prosaide and removers like 244 are professional grade FX products and require you doing your homework through classes, reading and testing. Be safe. It's a whole lot more fun than sporting a rash from improper use.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote