Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Kimchi_Kutie93

How do I lift a gallgown like dress from dragging on the floor?

So I bought a very intricately beaded wedding gown for my Princess Celestia cosplay a few months back! Yes I know what youre thinking but it was perfect!!! It fit perfectly on my body....but Im a little short....

I wanted to hem the dress but theres TONS of beading and embroidery along the hem which is something I dont want to damage or remove entirely!

I debuted it at the last con I went to and my arms were killing me from grabbing on to the heavy material to prevent it from getting dirty, tripping on it, and preventing others from stepping on it!

Is there any way to raise the skirt by sewing or any other method?
Kimchi_Kutie93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Can you add a bustle for walking around con? Can you add a bigger petticoat or hoops underneath to poof it out? Wear really, really big heels? (won't be seen with a skirt that long)

With that much work on the bottom hem, you may need to have it professionally altered (had to do that with my actual wedding gown, $300 just for the length alteration later...) They can usually take it up at the waist or inconspicuous spot so you don't lose the details.
Unread 12-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Taking it up at the waist should work. Also a large hoop would work.
Looking at the dress in your gallery an a-line hoop should work well. (:
Unread 12-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

If you're looking into a new hoop, I recommend this seller. The hoops are adjustable, so you can play with it and see what works!

My Twilight Sparkle gala dress uses the adjustable 3-hoop skirt, and I don't believe it's all the way out either. My friend in the Applejack had the same hoop skirt I did, and hers was nearly all the way in, but it could still go smaller, if that helps you get a size idea.

You're a gorgeous Celestia already, I'm sure this addition will make it even better! Please do share photos when you're done!
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I can suggest three things, myself, which don't involve taking it up or adding hoops;
First one, bustling hooks. Pretty simple; get some robust hooks and eyes (for a larger skirt, I'd put four to six in), figure out how much off the ground you want the skirt to go, and put an eye at the top of where you want the fabric to tuck up to and an eye at the bottom, to essentially fold it up. You can put it under or over the skirt, and you can walk without the heavy gown dragging and just put it down for pictures.

Second one, a loop or two of ribbon on a seam that you can stick your wrist/arm through to raise it off. That one probably won't give you a whole lot of lift or will still ache your arms, but it's a really easy one to use.

Third one, a balayeuse. Traditionally they were used in the Victorian era to keep dress trains from getting ruined- basically, it's a detachable sort of underskirt made of a tough, cheap fabric (traditionally they were often ruffled) that tacks on to the underside of the dress and can be taken off to wash, OR worn as a petticoat with a somewhat-longer train than the dress itself, that keeps the rest of the train off the ground.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Hydraskylar
...promise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
If you're looking into a new hoop, I recommend this seller. The hoops are adjustable, so you can play with it and see what works!
I would not recommend angelsbridal. I bought a 3-ring hoopskirt from them in 2008, looked nothing like in the picture, I wanted to return it but did not because the convention was too close. I contacted them before leaving them a neutral feedback. They replied to my feedback, calling me an abuser and that I've done this to many others (all capitalized). That was the first time I had to leave a non-positive feedback.

But back to your question, a hoopskirt would be better than high heels, also make it easier to lift the gown when you need to
Hydraskylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskylar View Post
I would not recommend angelsbridal. I bought a 3-ring hoopskirt from them in 2008, looked nothing like in the picture, I wanted to return it but did not because the convention was too close. I contacted them before leaving them a neutral feedback. They replied to my feedback, calling me an abuser and that I've done this to many others (all capitalized). That was the first time I had to leave a non-positive feedback.

But back to your question, a hoopskirt would be better than high heels, also make it easier to lift the gown when you need to
I use them for all of my hoops and such and they are always great...
Maybe they've improved recently.
Unread 01-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with them, Hydraskylar.

Like Ichigo, though, I found that they were wonderful on a more recent transaction. I bought my hoop from them in spring 2012. The produce got to me quickly, and it worked wonderfully!
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote