Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 12-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Colourful Panda

How can I do the hem/sleeves of this dress?

I really need help. I'm going to be cosplaying Marin from Legend of Zelda, Link's awakening:
http://zeldawiki.org/images/e/e4/Marin.png

I just can't figure out how to sew the pattern for the hem and sleeves. I'd prefer to use fabric, I don't want to dye or paint anything. Can anyone help me?
Colourful Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Libis

You could sew on yellow bias tape.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Bias tape might be good, but even for something that round, it might bunch up. What I would suggest would be to do one of two things, both involving Heat n Bond or something of the sort. Option 1: cut out the blue border and then put Heat n Bond on the back of the yellow fabric, cut out the design on it and then bond it to the blue, possibly appliqueing it down. Option two, cut the border out of yellow, put Heat n Bond on the back of the blue, and then cut the blue shapes out, bond them to the yellow and applique the edges. The second option might be easier and less of a headache.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
lulu.doll

I think it'd be easier to cut the blue patters out and put it on top of a yellow border. HeatnBond or using a very close color stitch to sew them ontop. And then to keep the edges from fraying I love using fray check but it might change the color >.<
lulu.doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
VickyAmis
Banned

Maybe you can search the internet and watch the video about how to do with the hem and sleeves, and you can follow it.I think it's not that difficult.
VickyAmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Penlowe

The process they are describing is called applique. There are dozens of videos on YouTube teaching this technique as it is very popular for quilting.

Heat n' Bond, Stitch Witchery and Wonder Under are brand names of heat fusible webbing. It's great stuff, I use it constantly for lots of different types of projects.

The smaller and more delicate a fabric bit I'm cutting & appliqueing, the heavier I want my fusible webbing. Yes, it comes in different 'weights', for a task like this I would use at least Medium if not Heavy. While it sounds more complex to cut a lot of bits out of a long strip, it isn't that bad as long as you have good sharp scissors. It's very easy to mess up a project when you have un-attached pieces and are trying to line them up perfectly.

How I would do it:
- cut a strip of yellow fabric the width & length needed
- cut a strip of blue fabric twice as wide & the length needed* (you'll see why later)
- first of all, I'd do the applique in a long strip then sew this decorated hem onto the dress, makes the whole thing gobs easier.
- iron my fuseable web to the back of the strip of yellow fabric. on the paper side draw out the design
- cut out the inside D shapes first, then the outside scallops so I have one long yellow lacey bit
- carefully lay it out then iron it to my blue strip, lining it up at the top edge (lots of blue extra below the scallops)
- use a tiny zig-zag stitch to sew the two together (this is the time consuming part)
- fold your blue under and press, ensuring the yellow hits the bottom edge all the way around.
-catch both raw edges at the top when you sew the hem onto the dress.

* this is to create a folded hem instead of a rolled one. Folded hems are wonderfully easy but only suitable on items like this where the hem is a different fabric. The other advantage of a folded hem is that it guarantees you the design will go to the edge exactly, because you aren't folding it until after the design is applied.
Unread 12-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Pretty much what Penlowe said is what I would do. I was pretty much going for something along those lines but was too tired to write out the whole process. Trust her, she knows what she's talking about. And yes, I use the heat fusible webbing all the time too. I've used it on everything from cottons to vinyl. It's a life saver sometimes.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Colourful Panda

Thank you so much, guys, you've really helped a lot!
Colourful Panda is offline   Reply With Quote