Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
ComicFan22
Tiny King

What did I do wrong?

So I did my first cosplay over the weekend as Black Star from Soul Eater with my wife as Tsubaki. This was also my first experience wearing a wig. Looking at it now, the wig seems too big and it show the side of my hair really easily. Is this the wig's problem? Do I really need to shave my sideburns farther than natural? I normally wear long sideburns but I shaved them up to where they normally go, but they still peaked under the wig cap and wig. For reference pictures, check my profile, I just posted some up.

Thanks for any help!
ComicFan22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Wig sstop just bewlow where on ears attache to your head. Your side burn will always show unless you shave them as wig are designed to cover a fuull head of hair and not sideburns which is part of beard hair growth..

You can try to style the hair down to cover you side burns more. Also the wig might have been to small for you id you shaved them off. A to small wig will not sit on your head properly that that area does not get as covered.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
NatsukoHirose
Banned

Maybe you should find the right wig for you. And when you have problems on wearing the wig, you can let your wife to change it a little and make it suitable for you to wear. If you have any problems to find a good wig, you can go to this website and maybe you can choose one.http://www.**BannedForSpam**.com/accessori...gs-p-3080.html
NatsukoHirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Libis

I'm a girl--so my sideburns have nothing to do with a beard--and I have had this problem with one wig. Did your wig have earflaps that go in front of your ears? I have one wig that didn't come with them, instead it was just round, and I had to make sideburns for it and sew them on. Anyways, most wigs do have something that at least covers my sideburns, it just sounds like you found one that doesn't have earflaps. I can't tell for sure what shape that wig is by the pictures. It might have helped to take a big hair pin down lower on your forehead on each side and secure. By the way, you didn't mention if you used a wig cap and how you secured the wig to your head?

Also, if the wig felt very tight on your head, it may have been too small. My boyfriend and I always buy from Arda to avoid this problem.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
ComicFan22
Tiny King

I did wear a wig cap, but my sideburns were cut short so I couldn't stuff them up in it. I didn't really have anything to attach the wig to the cap, since I didn't really know you needed one, heh.

It did feel a little tight, but that actually kept it on my head. It didn't wiggle around or anything. If anything the wig looks a little poofy.

Since I'm asking, ladies, how do you deal with wigs if you have long hair? My wife's hair goes to her shoulders and we have a hard time hiding it under a wig. Her Ramona costume has a blue wig that pokes out a little in the back because of her ponytail, the only way we know to put her hair up. She doesn't know how to French braid, which is what Yaya Han suggested at the Cosplay 101 panel we went to.
ComicFan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Libis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicFan22 View Post
I did wear a wig cap, but my sideburns were cut short so I couldn't stuff them up in it. I didn't really have anything to attach the wig to the cap, since I didn't really know you needed one, heh.

It did feel a little tight, but that actually kept it on my head. It didn't wiggle around or anything. If anything the wig looks a little poofy.

Since I'm asking, ladies, how do you deal with wigs if you have long hair? My wife's hair goes to her shoulders and we have a hard time hiding it under a wig. Her Ramona costume has a blue wig that pokes out a little in the back because of her ponytail, the only way we know to put her hair up. She doesn't know how to French braid, which is what Yaya Han suggested at the Cosplay 101 panel we went to.
When I put on a wig, I pull my hair loosly back to two ponytails at the back part of my head just under the pointy part (my head isn't super round lol, it kind of crests back very slightly. I don't know if this is how most people's heads are shaped, but mine is like this.) Then I take the wig cap (I use the netted kind with the hole at the top) and pull it all the way down well past my ears. Because my cap has a hole at the top, I can pull any remaining hair up by putting my hands through the hole. Then I adjust the wigcap to the hairline that I want and lean down in somewhat of a bow. I put the wig on in this almost upside down position and start at the forehead, then align the ear taps, then pull the back over the rest of my head. Then I put long hair pins (not bobby pins, these pins are as long as my middle finger) in the wig at 4-6 points around the head.
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

If you wig looks poofy you can always style it with got2B Glued products. Black Star has a lot of hair that's just styled into spikes.

For my thick and slightly long hair I was my wash before putting on the wig and tie it up when it's wet to compress it flat as possible to the base of my neck. I also wear larger wig as I have a larger head as well and would suffer from head pain wearing a wigs that was too small.

http://arda-wigs.com/
http://www.epiccosplay.com/

These wigs will also accommodated a lot of extra hair that needs to be stuffed up into the wig as well.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 12-04-2012 at 01:57 PM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Libis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
For my thick and slightly long hair I was my wash before putting on the wig and tie it up when it's wet to compress it flat as possible to the base of my neck. I also wear larger wig as I have a larger head as well and would suffer from head pain wearing a wigs that was too small.
lol. That's probably better than how I do it. XD I just let it get a little greasy before con (not much, just like I skipped a day of washing it type greasy) and then it stays up pretty well and I might use some hairspray if it's giving me trouble.