Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
clockwork-kit

Exclamation Wig ruined! What can I do?

So, I use to have a very, very pretty long black curly wig. And I got to use it all but once, in the picture seen below.

(( Sorry for being a Homestuck with no paint. ^^; We were out. ))

I let my friend keep it at her house and use it, and it ended up turning into this:

I'm really at a loss of what to do. I tried to wash it, comb it, and my other friend even took it for a few weeks to see what she could do with it. I ended up stopping in my efforts to remedy it, for fear of making it worse.

It's really frizzy and full of impossible tangles. As much as I try to rum them out with soap and water, nothing change.

Please help!! Is there anything I can do? I don't care if the curls come out at this point. I just want to be able to use it again for something without it looking like a Walmart Halloween wig.

Is there any way to make it less frizzy? Would cutting out the really bad tangles help or harm? Or should I just buy a new one? Maybe I could cut it into a short wig?

Thank you for taking time to read all this, even if you can't offer any advice. I'd love to hear anything anyone has to say, though.
clockwork-kit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
brigit

I would use some CHI oil and put it all over the wig and comb it from buttom up very carefully and not forceful at all. After when the knots are out I'd wash it in roomtemp water and use conditioner on the ends, this will leave it silky smooth. After washing it wrap it tightly up in a towel. DO NOT BLOW DRY IT. Hopefully it wont lose those curls. Hope this works.
brigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Libis

When my wigs get this bad, I use silicon spray on them and carefully finger comb from the bottom up. It takes some time, but the results are good. I've also heard of people getting tangles out by washing a wig in fabric softener, but haven't tried that.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Finger combing and silicon spray is you only option when it get this tangles. I actually recommend pre-treat long wig in silicon before wearing it as if saves you on time later taking out tangles.

I've saves two wig beyond hope with finger combing and silicon spray.
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=185958

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Kimchi_Kutie93

Dont worry! your wig isnt ruined, its just a bit tangled.

You wanna start by letting the wig soak in some lukewarm water and a capful of liquid fabric softener. this will help make the brushing easier. You also want to brush it as SLOWLY and as CAREFULLY as possible!! dry brushing wigs makes them frizzy and you lose the soft texture. Brush it a small section at a time, starting from the bottom up, this minimalizes fibers ripped out. And yes, fibers will be pulled out but not much.

Now you DO want to take a hair straightener to it. Moderate to High heat if the wig is heat resistant and the lowest setting possible and heat protectant spray if it isnt HR. Or go with simmered water. the water method wont restore the texture though. Running it through the straightener will improve texture but you have to brush it out quickly to cool it in an instant. if youre worried about the wig melting with the straightener, run a very small lock of fibers to test if it can handle the heat. A few strands wont kill it.

Now with curling there are a TON of options! I find using foam curlers work the best for curls. the foam rollers come in a variety of sizes. But your wig I would recommend the 1" to 1 1/2" rollers for loose curls like your wig was.

On your wig head, You can run your straightener though a segment of fibers and quickly roll it in the rollers or set in the rollers and poor simmered water over it (150 degrees F to 170 degrees F ONLY). Using the straightner and roller method gives you longer lasting and faster setting curls, usual wait time is 3-4 hours compared to 2-3 days for air drying the simmered water method.

spray with a little bit of Extra hold hairspray and youre good to go!

Another thing, NEVER lend your wigs to friends. You may love them, but you dont know their methods of taking care of wigs
Kimchi_Kutie93 is offline   Reply With Quote