Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

Question Should I buy from Arda?

I have always loved looking at Arda wigs though I have never bought from them... (did I ever mention how much I love their Jett wigs?).
Here's the thing. I have a really small head. Like the size of a 12 year old (and I'm a lot older). Arda is known for it's big head wigs and since I have a small head, I have a feeling that it would be a pain to adjust. (I'm not very good with wig adjustments, nor did I ever care adjusting my wigs since they sat on my head perfectly in the past years).

Should I buy from Arda even if I have a small head? Do you Arda buyers know if they have a head measurement thing before you pay for your wig? I am planning on buying an Arda wig in the future since I have been looking for a better quality styled wig comparing to this one wig I have. Thank you.

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]

Last edited by Noize : 12-12-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
TomatoandScones
The knight who says ni

Of course! They're adjustable, and there are plenty of tutorials for adjusting them to a smaller head circumference if your head is really that small. I have a small head myself, as I've never found an Asian wig that was too small, and I've never had a problem with arda's wigs! They even have a few wigs that are notably smaller, for example the Chibi. Go ahead and buy a wig from them. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Current Cosplays-
Kyou Fujibayashi-90%
Maiko Hikizuri- 5%
Asuna-75%
Erik/Phantom of the opera commission-10%
TomatoandScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Yes! I have a relativity small head too and I can adjust them to fit me with just the clips. (:
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

on their site they note which wigs will not fit without cutting, the jeanie is an example. just pay attention to these and you should be fine. My friends boyfriend has the tiniest asian head you have ever seen.... but arda fits him as long as he tightens the straps
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Emrys

I have three of their wigs - two long and one short cut. They are all HUGE on my head around the circumrence/edge. It doesn't matter much for the long wigs unless I decide to put them up in a ponytail, but for the short cut (a Magnum) I had to take in almost an inch of elastic on each side (not the straps but the actual structure of the wig) for it to not be floppy or slide off on the tightest setting which was literally each strap all the way on the farthest peg on the other side.

I love the colors and styles they offer, but I'll probably only get long wigs from them going forward.

Last edited by Emrys : 12-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

I've got a 22.5 inch head and a lot of Arda's wigs fit me without a problem when making the adjustable straps as tight as they can be.

When I need the wig smaller, it's a very simple process.

For their normal wigs (the ones not in the specialty section), put the wig on and pinch it at the back until it feels as right as you would like it. Take the wig off while keeping the back pinched and put pins on either side of the pinched area. Measure the area, distributing that measurement on both sides of the wig (it needs to be the sides because you'll be cutting the elastic), pinning it.
Get a seam ripper and rip out some of the wefts at the elastic where the pins are now (where you'll be cutting). Cut however much elastic you'll need to (you can go ahead and cut out the adjusting straps, you won't need those anymore). Get a needle and thread and see up the gap between the elastic, and then sew the wefts back on. You're done!

Sorry if I didn't describe this very well. ^^"

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

If you're looking at the Jett, you'll probably have to take it in like Onigiiri Basket described. That's what I had to do on my Jett - because just adjusting the straps made the wig poof out from my head and look really awkward. Wigs with longer hair tend to hide any puffing or balloon effect by virtue of the long hair, but the Jett is unforgiving in that regard because the hair is really short.

Should you buy from Arda? If they have a wig in the color and style you need, you don't have to dye it, and you like the dummy-proof styling of heat-resistant wigs.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Kimchi_Kutie93

Arda is the number 1 site i go to for wigs.

They are a little big but thats why you use the adjusting elastics in the back of the wig.

There are even tutorials online where you sew in snap wig combs in the front hair line of the wig to prevent them from sliding
Kimchi_Kutie93 is offline   Reply With Quote