Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Meredith

Making staff durable/longer

Hey! I'm gonna cosplay Jack Frost and I found a wisteria branch that's perfect, but I want to make it more durable without ruining the texture/naturalness of it. Also, I may add another branch to it so it's the right height. (It's about to my shoulder, and his is a bit above his head.) any ideas how to attach them to each other? I was thinking some sort of glue or tape which I would then paint a bit for the light in the middle of his staff.

Also, on the durable side of things, I'm not gonna get into battles or anything, but cons can be rough and I really don't want it breaking since it was such a lucky find. Maybe a few coats of laquer? :/

http://a.yfrog.com/img863/2473/faush.jpg
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
CassiusProps

I would suggest using resin . I think you should test it first but bark should partially absorb resin and by that make it more durable
CassiusProps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
verdatum
Extremely registered user

To attach two branches together, you'd really want to use either a mortice and tenon joint, or a reinforcing dowel through the center of both branches. The later is easier. You plane, sand, or file each end flat. Then drill a hole in each end. Then you insert a dowel, about 4'' long that tightly fits into each hole along with some epoxy or gorilla glue.

Things like lacquer or resin aren't going to do much to strengthen a branch. At most, they will prevent the bark from getting scratches...and who cares if you scratch bark? To really strengthen it, you'd need to do something wild, like wrap it in fiberglass cloth (which would make it look pretty darned unnatural), or split the whole branch up the middle, core it out, insert a steel rod, and glue it back up together.