Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 12-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Cosplay slowly becoming mainstream

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/...e-of-elizabeth

This is a video I stumbled upon on IGN. Here a Russian cosplayer was hired as the face of a new character for Bioshock infinite. The developers saw her cosplay and asked her if she would be willing to be an official representative for Bioshock Infinite. Pretty pretty cool.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Well, video game companies are mostly composed of geeks, so there have to be people who like cosplay. Russian cosplayers are all over DevArt, they're often beautiful and have some of the best photographers, so it's no wonder one of them got that kind of attention.
Remember that in the US, Jessica Nigri was hired as the official Juliet for the Lollipop Chainsaw launch. She wasn't on the box art, but she did a few videos, and did attend numerous events promoting the game.
It is more and more common to associate cosplayers with video game events, at least by inviting them. This is just one step further, I guess.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurachan View Post
Well, video game companies are mostly composed of geeks, so there have to be people who like cosplay. Russian cosplayers are all over DevArt, they're often beautiful and have some of the best photographers, so it's no wonder one of them got that kind of attention.
Remember that in the US, Jessica Nigri was hired as the official Juliet for the Lollipop Chainsaw launch. She wasn't on the box art, but she did a few videos, and did attend numerous events promoting the game.
It is more and more common to associate cosplayers with video game events, at least by inviting them. This is just one step further, I guess.
Jessica Nigri won a competition which made her the model for Lolipop CHainsaw. She was voted into the role which was a marketing ploy to raise awareness for the game and try to build a fancase based on involvement. That's all fine and good, but it's a bit different than what happened here.

This just opens the door to more companies looking to the cosplay field for promotion and business opportunities. A photographer doing an assignment for the latest Mortal Kombat game even contacted me regarding my photoshoot with Scorpion, looking to hire him for some promotional work. This also raises awareness for cosplay in general. Maybe my claim that it's slowly becoming mainstream is a little inaccurate, but if big companies start to find value in cosplay as an industry, then you better believe it will become mainstream. It was a cool read anyway.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TykeJack View Post
This is a video I stumbled upon on IGN. Here a Russian cosplayer was hired as the face of a new character for Bioshock infinite. The developers saw her cosplay and asked her if she would be willing to be an official representative for Bioshock Infinite. Pretty pretty cool.
I myself like my friend Aktrez and her Elizabeth cosplay. We did a photo-shoot at SDCC 2011, and she looked lovely. That's just me, though.

btw, just love all those idiotic comments people posted in that article.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by TykeJack View Post
promotional work. This also raises awareness for cosplay in general. Maybe my claim that it's slowly becoming mainstream is a little inaccurate, but if big companies start to find value in cosplay as an industry, then you better believe it will become mainstream. It was a cool read anyway.
I think the semantic is a bit off here, mainstream simply means 'popular' or 'mass' as in 'popular arts' or 'mass market'. The way that something becomes or gets closer to mainstream is if more people do it.

These things can be contributory factors that help something become mainstream, but they alone do not mean it is getting closer to that.

Even this statement is debatable, but I would think of 'mainstream' as it relates to a hobby as being just a numbers game (what percentage of the population has or actively practices this hobby).
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Janeey
Banned

A lot of people where I also live don't know much about cosplay. The only reason my family know about it is because its my hobby.

Different conventions have different atmospheres such as I find the midlands expo alot more easy going than the london expo. But thats because there isnt as many people haha.
At the moment I dont feel its mainstream its become more popular than it was but you cant stop a random person and ask if they will know what it is. But they probably won't know at all
Janeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #7
claudillama

I think its great that Cosplaying is growing popular! I live in a small town in Texas were not many people know what cosplaying even is. WHen i do tell them, all they do is give me weird looks. I want it to be known the cosplaying isnt weird, but fun and creative. A way to express one self.
claudillama is offline   Reply With Quote