Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 12-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Losing weight without gaining too much muscle??

Hey there, I don't go on this forum much, if at all lol
However, I am kinda big..I don't want to be, I figure you guys here could help..

Ok, so, I'm looking to lose enough weight by August to start crossplaying (I'm male). However, I don't know much about losing weight without gaining muscle in the process..I mean, I can gain SOME muscle, but since I want to get into crossplay, I have to get a better figure that will look more female when crossplaying. If you need the info, I need to lose pretty much everywhere important (face, upper arms, torso, thys)....
I do walking as much as I can but it's hard in my area because it's a very BAD neighborhood..I can't join a gym because I am broke..and there are no free ones in my area..

So, what else could I do? I know that crunches and pushups help, but I don't want a 6pack or muscular arms..

Any tips? Thank you

Also, sorry if this was asked before (I'm pretty sure it hasn't lol)....
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Kiro

First things that comes to mind is diet and cardio. Jumping jacks and jump rope are effective in burning calories. If you have the space and are lucky enough, you can try picking up a free elliptical off of CraigsList or Freecycle (or any of those ad services) and possibly other exercise machines. Remember to change up your routine often, which may include changing your pace or adding weights (ie wrist or ankle weights). Some strength training couldn't hurt.

Do not starve yourself; you will lose muscle mass which, in turn, will lower your basal metabolic rate and make losing fat (and keeping it off) much more difficult. Make sure your body gets all of the nutrients it needs. Supplements may help, but they are supplements and should not replace your primary source of vitamins.

You can find more info in this sticky: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=219555

I do not know much about this, but you may also be able to find workout routines that male-to-female crossdressers and trans believe to lead to a more feminine figure. However, I'm guessing most of that would be due to toning certain muscles and would require individuals to be at a low enough body fat percentage where toning is both visible and effective.

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston
AnimeNEXT
Katsucon?
Otakon

Last edited by Kiro : 12-04-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Thank you.
We have been looking for an excercise bike. We barely have room though..I'd work out at my moms (go there a lot) but all they have is a weight bench..So....Yea..Not looking for that kinda workout lol

You mentioned cardio. Is that going to be the big thing to do (I mean along with dietm but I mean workout wise)? Cuz I am going to be walking around a ton more (My mom need's to walk a lot so I will be with her doing that) I'm not gonna start running with my current size though lol Any other cardio things that might help that you haven't mentioned? I'm up to try them..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Kiro

Well, outside of what I've mentioned already, you can try something like yoga. I've seen a little of it here and there, and it seems to be more effective (and more dangerous) than it looks. Still, might be something to consider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDBXIjgQYgk

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston
AnimeNEXT
Katsucon?
Otakon
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
chupachan

I'd definitely recommend cardio, probably 60-90 minutes a day. Elliptical is an excellent low impact way to go that's great for anyone of any size. And as silly as you might feel doing something like Zumba, it would probably be a good route to go. Any cardio based workout DVDs should help (you should be able to find plenty at your nearest Walmart, Target, etc), just be wary that some of them might not be long enough and you might have to do 2 workouts a day.
chupachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
RedKiri
the Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
you can try something like yoga.
This.

Yoga is a great great fitness tool for ANYONE. Not just women as most men think. I am so glad that I did start taking Yoga as a side to my weightlifting. It's great, go try it, you won't regret it.

But yeah, just make sure to eat right and do cardio. It's really that simple. Calories in vs. Calories out.
Yotsuba!(Rule 63B) & Danbo - [Momocon 2013]
Takuto Tsunashi(Star Driver) -[AWA 2013]

Like my cosplay facebook page if you love bishounens~ <3
www.facebook.com/redkiri
RedKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

To put it simply, spend more calories than you eat.

Don't starve yourself. You gotta eat to live. But, change up your lifestyle so that you're taking in good calories that are nutrient-rich, and not empty calories. Cut out soda - even calorie-free diet soda isn't that great for you, it's all chemicals. Cut out alcohol. Cut out calorie-heavy, nutrient-sparse junk food like candy. Drink water - it's SO hard at first if you're used to beer and soda, but you can do it. Drink tea, iced and hot.

Eat lots of vegetables and lean protein. Veggies can be tasty if properly prepared; often, a simple preparation is best anyway. Rice and beans, when taken together, form a complete protein... you don't have to be eating expensive steaks every night to get the protein that you need. Buy whatever seasonal veggies are on sale this week at the grocery store, farmer's market, or produce stand, and prepare them in a healthy way. Broil, bake, and steam; don't boil and fry. If you like science and want to learn to cook, start watching old reruns of Alton Brown's Good Eats. With a little practice and the right container, the microwave can steam vegetables quite well... sometimes the right container is simply a couple of wet paper towels.

Healthy preparation doesn't have to be yucky. Don't cut out so much that you're not getting flavorful, tasty foods; you're not punishing yourself, you're just changing your lifestyle. Olive oil is okay; butter is okay in moderation (a pat, not a stick!); kosher salt or sea salt is okay in moderation. Mrs. Dash adds a lot of flavor without being unhealthy.

Burn calories through cardio. Run or bike outside if you can; if not, you got a jumprope, jumping jacks, elliptical/treadmill. Fitness games on the Wii or XBox/Kinect.

Exercise videos. There's a particular series called "the Firm" that my wife used in the past - they guarantee visible results within 10 workouts, and if you can follow through on the workouts, those results WILL appear... those videos will kick your butt.

It's not a diet; it's a change in mindset and lifestyle.

Take before-and-after photos. Post 'em here for encouragement.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon

Last edited by nathancarter : 12-05-2012 at 04:07 PM.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Wow, thank you all for the tips!!
I will certainly look into yoga, but I'm not sure how well i can get nito it. I have back and right leg problems..Like so bad that I can't stand up doing things like dishes and cleaning without it killing me..I know yoga has a lot of weird positions that may not work because I can;t move my back as much as needed..Still though, I'm sure there are plenty that won;t hurt so I'll give that a shot.

As for calories, I've been trying what I can lolIt's hard when you're poor though lol Like we have to buy stuff everyone will eat and there are things I would eat like that that my dad and his gf (the only others) won't so with less oney means I can;t go and buy things that only I will eat..My mom is still helping me..Like since I have no money she asks if I want something to drink at the store and I go to the soda and she yells at me lol (well not YELL, but you get it lol) and makes me get a zeo calorie gatorade instead lol

Anyway, again thank you all I will totally take all this info and apply it as best I can you are all very helpfull
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

yoga will help with back problems as long as you listen to your body and don't force it to do things that cause pain and major discomfort

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyspitfire View Post
yoga will help with back problems as long as you listen to your body and don't force it to do things that cause pain and major discomfort
That's very helpful. Thank you for the tip. I haven't been able to start doing anything yet, as I'm trying to get my eating habbits in order as well as doing a lot of things I have to do life-wise
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
sarg3_5laught3r

figure out your metabolism and eat accordingly. Don't eat for bulk, so lower calories and lower protein intake than someone aiming to build mass. Cardio and metcon (metabolic conditioning) exercises will incinerate fat and give you a good tone so you don't become a washboard. Metcon is not easy, and will mostly likely make you nauseous or even cause some purging to happen your first time. It happens to the best of us.

Captain Jack Harkness: 5%
Booker Dweitt: 5%
sarg3_5laught3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg3_5laught3r View Post
figure out your metabolism and eat accordingly. Don't eat for bulk, so lower calories and lower protein intake than someone aiming to build mass. Cardio and metcon (metabolic conditioning) exercises will incinerate fat and give you a good tone so you don't become a washboard. Metcon is not easy, and will mostly likely make you nauseous or even cause some purging to happen your first time. It happens to the best of us.
Damn, I'm just learning all day aren't I lol
So, how would this metabolic conditioning work? I'm not new to the whole lower caloies and stuff, but I've never heard of that..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 12-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
sarg3_5laught3r

it is commonly called "the 300". It goes something like:

25 pullups
50 crunches
50 pushups
50 squats
50 box jumps
25 pullups.

all in all, 300 reps, usually done in about 15 minutes or less. No rest periods [unless your body gives out, which it usually will first time] between sets. It is all core focused, which when done frequently enough, will speed up the efficiency of ones metabolism while getting strong cardio and a healthy sweat going. It feels like hell during and after, but the results speak for themselves. I've been doing it every other week and I still hate it, but it really does help.

Unread 12-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #14
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh awesome, I'll see if I can do that..if my body gives out really early, is that gonna make it way hard to get my metabolism faster or should that be fine? Again thank you so much all the info here has been more helpful then anything I've read, since everything on sites is different lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 12-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
sarg3_5laught3r

You WILL give out early the first few times. That is a given. It is all a matter of building endurance. You will get faster and stronger every time. Push yourself, but be mindful of bodily limits. If you can't do anymore, you can't. Pushing past that point will just hurt you.