Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 12-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Catscatscats
Skill-Lacker

Legend of Zelda, Link wig?

Omgomg I keep seeing fabulous Link cosplays around the web and they all look so great. Though most of the greatest ones I've seen are done by girls (or really pretty boys), I can't tell if they're real hair or fake, so I spend most of my time looking for a good wig that I think they "used", but since I can never find any I've come to the conclusion that it's their real hair.

PHEW. What a run-on sentence.

Anyways, a while ago I bought a blonde wig from a regular, non-cosplay store. My mother picked it out for me, or else I never would have gotten blonde, but she had good eyes and it looked pretty good on me. Un(?)fortunately, I cut it waaaay shorter than how it once was for a Link cosplay. (reference here)

Well here's the problem. I cut the wig and it actually looks meh in front, BUT I have to wear a hat with it...when I take the hat off the back and sides of the wig look really weird, (click that underlined stuff to see omfg i need eyeliner) even worse than it already does and I'm not sure what to do! I'm afraid to cut it because then it will be too short and ruined. I haven't tried mousse yet but I should proooobably get on that.

Lastly, do you think I should stick with this wig, or buy a new one online and try again? I'm not too sure and I'd appreciate opinions, thanks!

Unread 12-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Not sure I understand the question....Are you thinking that you need to cut it more? Because you don't..It's a very good looking link style. It will be almost impossible to make a normal store bought wig flip like his if that's what you plan on trying..Really, just use pomade (some good THICK stuff, not the gooey stuff), dip the tips of your middle 3 fingers but don't get too much, then rub it in your hands and put it in the bangs. Since you aren't doing OOT or TOON style you don't need styled spiked bangs so this should make it look awesome. Then, after that, do the same to the sideburns (if this is the "sticking out" area you mentioned, this should fix it. also, try to wear the hat just behind the bangs. If it comes with a clip on it to stay in the hair, this should be easy to do. If NOT, get an "alagator clip" (places like walmart) and sew it into the hat. If you have a different problem that I somehow didn't answer, I'm sorry lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Catscatscats
Skill-Lacker

No no no, that's the problem I had! Thanks a bunch! Yeah, and even if I decide to do OOT or Toon style I could always just fluff the hell out of it lol. Thanks a ton, I'll look up that pomade stuff. And thanks, yeah I think I have a few of them gator clips lying around.

Thanks so much.
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh good lol I was hoping I wasn't typing all that for no reason lol

If you go to walmart, you can pick up some "crew" brand stuff. It's the best I have ever used. Before going to the next event, just redo the bangs as pomade comes out, like anything else, just faster..

If you really want to, you can use hairspray on the bangs..Get RAVE. get a low one though, not RAVE 4 (that one is almost as strong as got2be and you don't want that for this). Just spray the entire bangs area, use a comb and slightly make things straighten (don't comb too much or you'll take a lot of spray out) then use your hand and comb with your fingers sweeping the hair to the side. do it maybe 3 times..it won't harden, but it's also better then the pomade for that area..Still use the pomade in the sides though
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Catscatscats
Skill-Lacker

Yeah that'd suck lol. But no you answered everything for me perfectly, I'm just a confusing person and I don't always word things...simply. XD

Alright, I'll give it a go. I go to Walmart pretty often so that'll work. And thanks again! I'll try and get it done by the end of the weekend and see how it looks.
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh trust me....I know exactly how that is haha I feel like I do it all the time..^^;;

Awesome, let me know how it goes lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now: