Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 01-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #16
WantAGuava
Derp of a Being

What I think that people miss the lolita is a fashion, and fashion can change and do what it please.

All like lolita.

You see all lolita really is basically an A line or Cupcake shaped petticoat skirt under a demur dress, the rest is up to /you/.

People often get messed up on trends and rules like the head dress is now out of fashion due to the fact so many people so poorly imitate lolitas with it, or that leopard print would never work, or raschel lace is death in the face.

I find head dresses adorable still even if people nick name them maxi pads, lepord print to be daring (look at Motite they got it going on) and raschel to be beautiful when it comes in igh quality.

I really wish some people would loosen their bolts when it came to the guidlines -sigh-
WantAGuava is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
HerrLudwig
Yotsubato!

I agree to a certain extent. When I cosplay steampunk (I don't do lolita, I like it, but I've never tried it.) I try to put in more than the boring browns and "badarse guy with gun and goggle" look. I do reds,blacks,dark colors...I don't do the gun thing. I mean, who cares? It's creative license. Just like how you can mildly change characters' outfits in a cosplay to fit your needs. As long as it looks good and people know what you're doing it's fine!
The only thing that might be bad is the people to stick to the common outline of lolita/steampunk... If you went to a lolita con expect people to stare if you had leopard print because that's not really what's acceptable in the rules.
I say go for it. You should cosplay for you and no one else. I mean, you might inspire people. It's good to see people who try to veer from the traditional type of clothing.
HerrLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
Bobbi
I poke spoons with baders

I think when it comes to rules, they are more like guidelines in order to ensure that you're really dressing the style. There are things you can tweak here and there to suit your needs. But after so much tweaking and bending it reaches a point where it's no longer Lolita. I mean, you would wear a pink my little pony shirt, a pastel tutu, a pair of ugs, and spikey choker then call it Goth. It would be an interesting fashion statement, but not the style that you are claiming it to be. Same goes with Lolita, I think.

The rules I follow are:

Silhouette: Meetups and conventions get my huge petticoat, if I go casual for everyday I go with my lighter Bodyline petticoat and a skirt, or no petticoat and a simple jsk/cardigan/bolero combo. I don't feel comfortable in a huge petticoat if I'm going out to dinner or going shopping. But I'm fine in a printed skirt and a nice top.

Modesty: I dress modestly anyway, and I'm not comfortable unless my shoulders are covered. I prefer to wear tights or OTKs.

I also try to make sure that I look well put together: hair or wig neat and styled. (usually my real hair for everyday, and I usually curl it and put more effort into it than usual.) I wear makeup, because if i put all this time into dressing nicely, I feel plain without makeup (plus makeup is fun). I try to keep colors and themes matching. I also make sure I have something on my head, usually a headbow, but if It's everyday, I wear headbands usually.

At any rate, I try to make myself look nicely dressed either way. I wouldn't wear dirty sneakers and greasy unkempt hair with pretty and expensive clothes. But that's just how I feel about myself.