Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

I don't think it's mainstream, but rather more accessible. Thanks largely to manufacturers and the Internet.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I highly doubt it's ever going to become all that "mainstream." I think the closest most people are going to cosplay is Halloween. Even if it does become mainsteam, who cares? That's not going to make it any less fun for me.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #18
Steffuh

Honestly, I don't see why this is a problem. The more people the better!!!! I mean, I had just started getting into cosplay last year because I finally started making money of my own so I could actually start going to cons and cosplaying. New cosplayers are born every year and it is beautiful.~
Steffuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
Lurrdoc
[SHSL ???]

Mainstream and cosplay in the same sentence.

lol

| deviantArt | tumblr | MyAnimeList |

| Rock Lee - 90% | Relius Clover - 85% | Gunha Sogiita - 65% |
Lurrdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

The OP mentioned she lives near where Sakura-con is held, so of course, cosplay is going to look "mainstream" there because there is probably a strong cosplay community in the area. Where I live, there's isn't a very strong cosplay community. There are a lot of anime and gaming fans (enough that we have two gaming stores in town), but I'd say only 5-10% of the fans here cosplay.

Where I work, a few of my co-workers do re-enactments, but I'm still considered a huge dork because I cosplay. But it's nice to have people at work to compare notes with. My team lead and I spent about 20 minutes Thanksgiving week drooling over my Black Friday flyer from Jo-Ann. XD

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
natsuo
Wonderflexing

I would actually be excited if I saw more cosplayers op up in my area. It is SOOO hard for me to find people to cosplay with at this point.

Like me on facebook!
www.facebook.com/natsuocosplay

Check me out on worldcosplay!
http://worldcosplay.net/member/51186/

Matsuricon 2013 costume plans:
Rika - Digimon Tamers
Blackrose - .hack
Popola - Nier

Ohayocon 2014 costume plans:
Mary - .hack//Quantum
Sasha - Attack on Titan
Kaine - Nier
natsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #22
Ilafatyu
That guy

The attendance rates at conventions have gone up. Most of the people I see at conventions cosplay. Cosplay is becoming more popular in our community, but outside our bastion, cosplay is just as strange and obscure as ever.

We have to acknowledge, though, that being a geek/nerd/whatever is a lot more popular now than it was five or ten years ago. Being interested in things like video games, comics, tabletop games, and things of that nature wasn't nearly so acceptable than it is now. Geek is now chic. Hipsters are everywhere. It's cool to be uncool. Is it any wonder why cosplay is growing in popularity?

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #23
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Let me just preface by saying this: Who cares if it's mainstream? I'm not saying the OP does, but personally it bothers me when people think something isn't good if it's "mainstream", or when people drop their hobbies because it's too common.

Anyways, I wouldn't say it's mainstream, but it certainly is gaining popularity (yes, there's a difference... at least I think there is). In the past five years alone there have been larger conventions, and more of them. More people are getting into the hobby as the anime/manga industry is becoming more and more prevalent. With dubbing powerhouses like Funimation releasing new stuff all the time, a wider variety of anime/manga is becoming available, appearing to a wider audience.

Also, non-anime cosplay is on the rise as well with things like Homestuck and Doctor Who that have enormous fanbases.

However, I don't think it's mainstream. A good portion of society would still call it absurd and weird and strange to cosplay. So, in a way it's still this little club of geekery in comparison to the rest of society.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #24
patriciarakel

If it means I'd get less weird looks for being a cosplayer, then I say mainstream all the way! I don't cosplay for shock value. I cosplay because it's fun. And if the unfortunate side effect of being seen as a freak goes away with popularity, then I'm all for it.
Astrid (How to Train Your Dragon)
Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
Reviving This Year:
Annabeth Chase (Percy Jackson)
Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)
patriciarakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #25
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
The attendance rates at conventions have gone up. Most of the people I see at conventions cosplay. Cosplay is becoming more popular in our community, but outside our bastion, cosplay is just as strange and obscure as ever.

We have to acknowledge, though, that being a geek/nerd/whatever is a lot more popular now than it was five or ten years ago. Being interested in things like video games, comics, tabletop games, and things of that nature wasn't nearly so acceptable than it is now. Geek is now chic. Hipsters are everywhere. It's cool to be uncool. Is it any wonder why cosplay is growing in popularity?
I think this hits the nail on the head. There's more geeks coming out of the woodwork and taking part in the convention scene. It has become a true "scene" imo.

More kids openly watch anime these days, I think a lot of that has to do with what anime offers nowadays compared to what it did even 5-7 years ago: Bleach and Naruto are a lot more popular and well-known than I realized with kids today. I'm sure someone has mentioned this, but I also think it helps that the anime community on the internet is very active, so given that all kids use the internet a lot, most kids probably run across memes and references to fandoms at the very least: There's more exposure I think. Todays convention offers a lot, too. I mean, there's a concert; a rave; video games; some kind of other dance, just a number of reasons exist for young people (especially if you're a tad geeky) to attend cons.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #26
SinAi
Bubble Cat

Cosplay isn't mainstream. It's becoming more popular in the community is all it seems to be doing. It's easier to do, there are more fandoms being introduces *Ponies, homestuck, etc*

So personally, I don't think it's any more mainstream than it was. There's just more people doing more things. Especially with movies, and shows etc. now a days.

^-^' Just my two cents.
SinAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #27
TheCosplayFox

I think it's more that cosplay is becoming more mainstream to younger people but it's really not quite there and is still a small community when you pair it up against another more popular larger community of people.
TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #28
Anney

Not at all, I don't know anyone who lives near me who cosplays. Even at cons, the numbers are still quite small.
Anney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #29
MissLunatic
Someone

I have to agree with TheFontBandit. Cosplay’s neither a mainstream nor such an unknown hobby anymore due to the media and the better means of communication nowadays.

I just have to add: That actually much more ppl seem to have heard about it here in Germany. Especially since there are events where we get into contact with the general public like the two big bookfairs, Gamescon in Cologne and Japanday in Düsseldorf. So when years before nearly everyone asked what we are doing and why we are wearing costumes although it is not carnival season, we are sometimes surprised by the 10-20% of ppl today who guess at once what we are actually up to.

Plus as already said by TheFontBandit the access to resources meaning materials as much as good tutorials or just inspiring pictures of other cosplayers have spread throughout the internet. So starters often come up with much better cosplays than ppl about 5 years ago did.

Also the mood seems to have changed though. Competition seems to have grown and better available resources may also mean you have to use them. What has been awesome just 3 years ago is not rarely regarded as mediocre today. A mixed blessing to my mind. Not that it isn’t nice that we improve at all. Another shift I observed as well is the shift away from anime cosplays to life action series and games plus an increasing upcome of gijinka or entirely selfdesigned costumes. The latter also being a double-edged sword since although representing the best artistically skills it may exclude others who don’t get what it should actually portray. It’s less about reenacting a certain char together with friends and friends to be but more about the modeling and designing aspect. Cosplay is more perceived as art now (see deviantart). And although this isn’t bad at all, as I love roleplaying I can’t help but feel a little sad about it at the same time.

About the bad word ‘mainstream’ I don’t care at all. I often cosplay from ‘mainstream series’ as well and seem to belong to this certain species of cosplayers who feel very comfortable in more or less large groups. The more the merrier as others already said.

Upcoming:
Hotohori (Fushigi Yuugi)
Young Griff (A Song of Ice and Fire - A Dance with Dragons)
Superbi Squalo (KH Reborn!)
Arianne Martell (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Sharrkan (Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic)
Ryoga Hibiki (Ranma 1/2)
Rokudo Mukuro (7 Gods of Luck) (KH Reborn!)

Upgrading:
Kagari Shusei (Psycho-Pass)
Okita Souji (Hakuouki)
MissLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #30
Shiva Edge
mata aeru no ka

Not yet, but I'm sure it's getting there. Not saying it's a bad thing though. In fact, the more the better. I live in southern California though, and there's obviously a huge cosplay scene here.

I mean, just look at Anime Expo and Comic Con.
Shiva Edge is offline   Reply With Quote