Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
faraday48

Metal Finish on Wood

I'm working on Katniss's bow and arrows from the Arena. Now, the bow and arrows are supposed to be made of aluminum. For the arrows, I am using dowel rods for the shafts. How can I best mimic that aluminum metal finish (preferably spending as little extra money as possible)?
faraday48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Kuro Akui Ryuu
I bleed for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraday48 View Post
I'm working on Katniss's bow and arrows from the Arena. Now, the bow and arrows are supposed to be made of aluminum. For the arrows, I am using dowel rods for the shafts. How can I best mimic that aluminum metal finish (preferably spending as little extra money as possible)?
I use Rub n Buff. It gives a metallic look and you can use it on wood. I get mine at Michaels with a coupon so its cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...MB9G0Q3MSYETHC

AX 2014 Cosplays:
Lady HUNK (Resident Evil)
Raven (Teen Titans)
Kuro Akui Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Millions_Knives

your going to want to sand, varnish, and/or wax before you paint
to get rid of any grain

Learn how to make anything cosplay.
OVER 300 COSPLAY TUTORIAL VIDEOS
my noncompetitive portfolio
things made for others or lolz
Millions_Knives is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Being able to duplicate a metallic look on any material is all about how much time and effort you put into finishing your surface.

Like Knives said, your biggest goal is to seal and hide the grain of the wood, the main thing people think of with metal is its characteristic to reflect light. If you can see grain on your surface, it means that the surface isn't smooth enough to properly reflect light and it will hurt the overall effect.
There's tons of ways to go about this, sanding sealer, coating the surface in resin, varnish, clear coats, gesso, filler primer, ect. Really just depends on which you want to go with.

Once your grain is sealed you get to sand the surface smooth. The higher grit you sand to the better it will look. For things like sword blades I'd say wet sanding up to at least 600 grit is advisable, depending on how much wear and damage you want to incorporate. Since you didn't provide a reference picture for the bow its up to you to judge how smooth and clean you need the finish to be.

Rub n' Buff is a great option for metallic finishes, just remember that it either needs a clear coat to seal it, or a very long time to dry after application. Otherwise it has a tendency to rub off. Testor's Metalizer is another buffable paint option if you have access to an airbrush.

Dry brushing highlights and lowlights is also another way to get a very convincing metal look especially if you're going for the worn look.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
verdatum
Extremely registered user

"silver" leafing is also a really good way to go. The silver leaf you get at the craft store is really just aluminum anyway. Seal and smooth the wood as described above, then paint it black. Then brush on the sizing solution, let it dry however long the bottle recommends (it varies). Apply the leafing, and brush off the excess with a soft long-bristled brush.
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
djlemma

Man.. I'd be tempted to just hop down to wal-mart and buy some actual arrows..

I'm lazy though.
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Chipface
Master Ninja

I just make sure everything is sanded nice and smooth and any perfections filled and sanded. Then I prime until there is no trace of the grain. I find grey primer covers better than white. 4 coats or so and then I get a metallic spray paint. Then I clearcoat with Pledge floor polish with Future Acrylic. Makes it nice and shiny without dulling the metallic finish.
Chipface is offline   Reply With Quote