Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Vincalota

Flame Atronach

Ok, so, my friends and I want to go as the Atronachs from Skyrim to Ohayocon in January. They volunteered me to do fire because I'm the most crafty, lol...

My most pressing question is this: I want the body to be EXTREMELY bright, just like it is in the game. I may even end up using some kind of LEDs or something. But, it would be near impossible to make her whole body section light up, unless someone here knows something I don't. How would you all go about making the flame part of the body? Fabric, lights, acrylic sheets, a mix? Throw me some ideas, please!
Vincalota is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
djlemma

Oh wow. That looks like a job for photoshop...

But things that you might look into-
There's EL Sheet, EL tape, and EL wire out there that can create evenly lit areas, bars, and lines, respectively. They aren't very bright and if you want a lot of it, it gets expensive. Also, you'll need to hide battery packs somewhere.

LED's are awesome, but if you look at them directly it's hard to avoid having pinpoints of light. You might be able to make the crusty-dark-magma sections to hold little LED's that would shine onto the firey bits to light them up.

And just as another thought, although I don't know how to make it compact enough, but there's a popular artificial flame effect (this) that involves a blower and a piece of silk. The blower blows the silk up and it makes a bunch of ripples, and a few colored lights at the base play on the silk making it look like fire. If you could figure out a way to get lights, blower, silk, and batteries all together in that super skimpy costume you'd have something really amazing.

These are all pretty expensive and probably impossible ideas. So, of course, now I want to try them all.
Unread 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
cybernova

http://www.createxcolors.com/product...cent/main.html

Fluorescent paint could help on bits where inserting LEDs is not possible. You'd have to keep reapplying the paint, though, since it's not a permanent effect. You'd have to be wearing bodysuit for this method, and be in possession of an airbrush to apply the paint. And read the instructions & warnings, naturally.

You can also search for wider angle LEDs ("straw hat LEDs" etc). They are not as bright, but their light spreads more evenly across a wider surface. You can also sand a regular LED's dome to reduce the pinpoint effect a bit.
cybernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Vincalota

Ahh, I hadn't thought about the silk thing! I could maybe at least do something like that for the top of her head; it might fit into the mask I plan on making. You've given me a lot of really good ideas! Something I found online was a dude putting lights underneath fabric so it looked a little more splayed out: link I'm leaning most towards this right now, especially with his app I could make the lights pulse like magma... If I hadn't tried looking up the stuff you said, I wouldn't have found this!
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
djlemma

If you like that, you just might love this-
http://www.cutecircuit.com/
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Millions_Knives

oh man if your talking stupid money you can buy some of this
so wish i could afford this

vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVykymab7lM
it is the largest collection of cosplay tutorials and cosplay fun on youtube.

Last edited by Millions_Knives : 12-06-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Millions_Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Vincalota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millions_Knives View Post
oh man if your talking stupid money you can buy some of this
so wish i could afford this

vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVykymab7lM
OhmyGOSH, that is GORGEOUS! I may have to get some of that just for everyday wear... -_-
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
djlemma

Oh man, the geekery. That's a lot of sideglow fiber optic. Still not going to be super bright... but very cool.

You can get just the cable at this place, I've ordered from them before and even though their web site if from like 1996 they're pretty helpful on the phone-
http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Sideglow.htm

Also, I THINK you can fake a sideglow effect by taking clear plexi and sanding the surfaces, then edge-lighting it. Perhaps you could mold the clear plexi to follow body contours as well?
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
djlemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincalota View Post
Ahh, I hadn't thought about the silk thing! I could maybe at least do something like that for the top of her head; it might fit into the mask I plan on making. You've given me a lot of really good ideas! Something I found online was a dude putting lights underneath fabric so it looked a little more splayed out: link I'm leaning most towards this right now, especially with his app I could make the lights pulse like magma... If I hadn't tried looking up the stuff you said, I wouldn't have found this!
Also of note-
The guy who made that suit has a blog about how he did it.. and the guy has access to a CNC mill AND an FDM printer. And here I thought I was in pretty good shape for having a drill press.....
Unread 12-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
Millions_Knives

"Also, I THINK you can fake a sideglow effect by taking clear plexi and sanding the surfaces, then edge-lighting it. Perhaps you could mold the clear plexi to follow body contours as well?"

yep thats how you do it
~lol doing that tick right now in shop for sword~
it is the largest collection of cosplay tutorials and cosplay fun on youtube.
Millions_Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
Vincalota

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlemma View Post
Also of note-
The guy who made that suit has a blog about how he did it.. and the guy has access to a CNC mill AND an FDM printer. And here I thought I was in pretty good shape for having a drill press.....
Yeah... I saw. My dad kind of knows how to do chip things, he said there's no way we could make a chip like he did but that he might be able to teach me how to use the Arduino (almost say Audino every time... too much pokemon).

I don't know if I'd be able to do this before Ohayocon, but now I think my heart is pretty much set on some LEDs.
Unread 12-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
djlemma

Arduino is a very easy device to work with if you have any computer programming experience. If you don't, well.. as far as computer programming goes, it's not hard, but you'd have to learn everything from scratch. I don't think you would necessarily need it for your costume, since magma doesn't flicker.

Even if you do decide to use an arduino, I don't think you'd need to do all the PCB hacking that the fellow with the crazy equipment did. They make shields for controlling all sorts of LED's and other things.

Also, this stuff would be fun for added smoke effects. Have a friend with a can or two follow you around, and when you attract a large group of photogs have them give a little spray for maximum flameyness. Maybe clear it with con officials first.. but the stuff is safe and barely has a smell.

Last edited by djlemma : 12-07-2012 at 09:46 AM.
djlemma is offline   Reply With Quote