Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #31
noogz256

damn man! nice progress! um the high fat low carb aka the keto diet works for some people...buuuut i wouldn't recommend it.
noogz256 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #32
JuicyContacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
It really just rubs me the wrong way when people try to cheat out how the body is supposed to work. Your body was intended to run on carbohydrates, as well as proteins and other nutrients in a balance.
Hmm, this isn't really true. There is no essential carbohydrate that the body needs to survive. A human could live a full life without ever having eaten a carbohydrate or sugar.
JuicyContacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #33
noogz256

so why does your liver turn protein into glucose when the body doesn't have any glucose? and when protein is burned, ketone bodies are produced which again...get turned into glucose. sugar...true you do not need to consume sugar but carbs...hell ya you need them.
noogz256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #34
JuicyContacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noogz256 View Post
so why does your liver turn protein into glucose when the body doesn't have any glucose? and when protein is burned, ketone bodies are produced which again...get turned into glucose. sugar...true you do not need to consume sugar but carbs...hell ya you need them.
That's what I mean, your body converts fat/protein into glucose for the body. You don't need to ingest it.
JuicyContacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #35
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by noogz256 View Post
By the time the body runs out of glucose, it goes into ketosis, producing ketone bodies in place of glucose. To have that to happen, fat is being burned to the point that it cannot keep up with maintaining the body's blood sugar, and that can be at least 36h of fat burning from not eating anything (fasting), or eating no-carb meals under a caloric deficit. It's not practical to do for some people due to the steep requirement of going into ketosis, and no way needed for fat loss.

Carbs weren't as abundant or as energy dense as it was during prenatal times, where the main source of carbs were fruits and vegetables. If it wasn't for the advent of processed food we wouldn't have so many cases of high blood sugar due to the overabundance of carb consumption without an outlet of energy removal.

We don't necessarily need them still, it just explains what the body does when glucose doesn't come available in what they eat if there are times of famine.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #36
Keebablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti View Post
Low-carb diets work in the sense that the body is producing less Insulin. With less insulin, the body isn't using the food consumed as energy, rather it's body fat. The reason that you go high-fat is that it doesn't cause an insulin response (protein and carbs
I'm not sure if anyone has corrected this, but protien does not, in fact provoke an insulin response. Carbohydrates ( sugars) are what cause your blood sugar to rise.
Keebablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 03:58 AM   #37
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebablue View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has corrected this, but protien does not, in fact provoke an insulin response. Carbohydrates ( sugars) are what cause your blood sugar to rise.
You just need to google search it, like this one!

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Protein does provoke an insulin response, used to transport the protein to wherever it needs to go. To prevent blood sugar from dropping (from the insulin), another hormone (Glugagon) is released from fat cells to stimulate the liver to produce glucose.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #38
SeriousTyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti View Post
You just need to google search it, like this one!

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Protein does provoke an insulin response, used to transport the protein to wherever it needs to go. To prevent blood sugar from dropping (from the insulin), another hormone (Glugagon) is released from fat cells to stimulate the liver to produce glucose.
I concur with Arti, for people who have been on low carb but have stalled with weight loss or even gained weight, the usual problem was with a high protein intake which leads to what Arti has discussed.
SeriousTyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #39
Keebablue

The amount of insulin would be incredibly minute- as a diabetic I am very familiar with what does and does not raise blood sugar; and proteins do not. So I should probably amend my previous statement to say that I doesn't provoke enough of a response to affect blood sugar levels. As a matter of fact, I have been repeatedly encouraged by numerous doctors and nutritionist to eat a higher protein/ fats diet to keep blood sugar remaining low.
Keebablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #40
Asmith89
Banned

great you have gone to right side. It is difficult to loose fat. It shows your efforts. i loose 5 kg in 15 days by hard workout.
Asmith89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #41
PungoPungo

Good job, OP, on the weight loss! You look fantastic. Keep going with your workouts!! :-)

My nutrition ideal in general:

Eat lots of...
Dark green leafy veggies
Colorful veggies

Eat some...
Berries
Nuts
Grass-fed, free-range meats like beef, venison, chicken, pork, buffalo, game meats
Eggs
Fish
Healthy oils- olive for dressings, grapeseed for high temp cooking, coconut for high temp cooking
Spices!!

Eat a little...
Squash
Sweet potato or yam
Cassava/yucca
Plantain
Fruits
Dark chocolate
Wine

Eat occasionally...
Rice
Potato
Other gluten-free grains and starches
Sugary stuff
Liquor

Don't eat...
Wheat, barley, gluten-containing oats, or other grains containing gluten
Dairy

I follow this about 90% religiously. I never eat gluten but do have dairy occasionally.
I've had good luck with this sort of eating. I feel great which is most important to me, and don't gain weight.

Not for everybody, but my mish-mash of low-carb, paleo, gluten-free, primal has been good to me.
PungoPungo is offline   Reply With Quote