Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Diverselove

Smile buying or making your costume....which is better?

Hello,
I'm new to everything cosplay. Anyway, I want to ask everyone, especially the more experienced cosplayers, which is the best way?
To buy your costume or to make it?
And by best way, I mean explain why you feel is that is the best way for you. For me, the best way is one that is so expensive or time-consuming which after looking through some of these forums and cosplay blogs, isn't possible to achieve both in cosplay.

SO please, ideas, opinions, comments. Thanks
Diverselove is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverselove View Post
For me, the best way is one that is so expensive or time-consuming which after looking through some of these forums and cosplay blogs, isn't possible to achieve both in cosplay.
I don't quite understand this statement. For some cosplayers with little to no money, they rely on second-hand, thrifted, closet, or otherwise found items for cosplay. For cosplayers with little to no skill, but more money, they can commission their cosplays. For cosplayers with skills and knowledge, they make their cosplays dependent on both their skill level, budget, time, passion, etc.

Similarly, some people are great at different parts of this hobby. Some can style elaborate wigs, some can sew, some can build detailed props, some can take photos.

I don't think there is a "best" way to cosplay. The best way is whatever you want it to be. However, as with any hobby, cosplay does require the investment of time, effort, and money. You get to choose how to invest all three.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Diverselove

Oh, I know there isn't really a "best" way for making a costume. Just wanted to know what some people's opinion was on here. I new to cosplay, like literally. So I am just starting to understand everything about cosplay. I guess I just wanted to know everyone's idea about it.
Diverselove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
g00dapple

When I started getting into cosplay, I just assumed everyone bought their costumes. Then, I found this website and started realizing that a lot of people sew their own. It can be frustrating and a lot of work, but being able to show something you made, is an awesome feeling.

2014 convention list we will be photographing coming soon!
g00dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
KoalaKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
I don't think there is a "best" way to cosplay. The best way is whatever you want it to be.
This. This, this, this. I can't agree more. To me, cosplay is really about the spirit and expression, and having fun! It's about doing something you enjoy and portraying/dressing as a character from something you enjoy. As PSY-chan eloquently stated, this can take many forms depending on your resources, skills, time, etc. When I was in high school, because of a lack of time and experience, I bought my first couple cosplays--by no means did I have less fun or feel less valid.

There are cosplay snobs out there who value hand-made and/or elaborate cosplay much more, but don't let them get you down. A large part of cosplay is also the community, and most of it is very supportive of all types of cosplayers.

I myself strive to make most of my costumes, because I enjoy crafty things. There is also a great sense of accomplishment when you can call a costume "finished," or even wearable. :P I have recently bought costumes or parts of costumes, though, as treats to myself when my schedule is terrible. No shame! I just give credit where credit is due.

Do what you can and what you want to. Just cosplay with pride and feel great for being part of something awesome.

Cosplay planned/in progress:
~ Woodland Queen (original design)
~ Monk -- FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

my cosplay facebook page -- come say hi!
my tumblr -- pretty things, nerdery, and occasional opinions

KoalaKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Ren-no-chi
Why yes, I AM insane

Definitely agree with previous posters. Another thing is that you can make cosplays that are within your skill level and buy or commission ones that aren't. I have cosplays I've made and cosplays I didn't because of time restraints or that the bought option was cheaper. Making your cosplay doesn't have to be an all or nothing process.
Unread 12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
CosplayPandah

Since your new to everything, If you don't have the time to make your costume then I would buy it online, however it will take several months to arrive so buy it a couple months before the convention so you can test it out. If your making it, have fun! Its lots of fun but you need to be patient too as it takes hours and days to make costumes depending on how detailed and difficult it is
Unread 12-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
usuyukisou

The best way is to be open to all methods. I've done a mix of buying, commissioning, and making, and I don't think that's going to change. I'm not a professional level seamstress, but I can do simple things. I can't make wig fibers from scratch, so I buy. I'm working on learning how to make props, but I do intend to commission more complicated pieces, since in the end I still want something beautiful.
Unread 12-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Personally, I like making (but I have never bought a costumes so I'm bias lol). The process is stressful and can't drive you mad at times...but the moment when you try it on and everything is done with a sigh of relief...there is nothing like it. :P
Unread 12-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

There is no best way, of course.

If you're looking for criteria?

Pros of making your own:
- control over the whole process, including fabric choice, detail, budget, time spent, etc
- costs less*
- zero chance of being ripped off
- learning new skills
- pride of having made it yourself
- the only way to get a costume so obscure/unique that no one else has one for sale

Pros of buying a costume from a pre-made seller:
- faster
- don't have to learn any skills
- can choose vendors based on budget

Pros of commissioning a costume:
- can choose a commissioner who will work with your budget
- almost as much control as making it yourself without having to actually do anything
- don't have to learn any skills
- less likely to get ripped off with a poor-quality costume

In the end, you decide what you find more important. Is cost the only thing that matters? Buy from an overseas seller who has the cheapest costumes but you might not be able to return it or repair it if it's wrong. Is control more important to you? Commission it from someone you feel you can trust, but you're going to shell out money and it might not be any faster than making it yourself. Is the accuracy and quality of your costume important? Make it yourself, so you can control everything. It might not be fast, and it's only cheaper if you're solely buying the fabric and some notions - commissions are more expensive because you're paying for both the materials AND the labor.

There are a lot more factors to keep in mind. Only you can decide what the most important part of having and wearing a costume is, and choose accordingly. Each of us is so different that our personal thoughts on which is best for US is pretty much pointless to survey. I'm a professional and a commissioner, so my opinion is going to be radically different from someone who just likes to be IN a costume without creating it. Neither of us is right or wrong, but the difference is so wide that it really won't help you.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

If you're just starting out and don't have any sewing experience I'd just buy one from an online store or the market place here if you can, it's cheaper and faster. If after going to a few conventions you feel like it's something you want to keep doing you can try making your own.
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014

Next Con:
Costume Con 2016
chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #12
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

For me I have absolutely no skills whatsoever but I do have a little money so I just buy everything until I can learn and adapt the skills needed to make things on my own as well as acquire the tools to do it. I am really terrible at just about everything.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #13
selinaliu
Banned

I support you buy cosplay costume online, short time, and cheap~~
selinaliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #14
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

I enjoy being in cosplay, going from CapsuleCorp's post.

It doesn't matter if I make, commission, buy of an online seller, or modify pieces for a cosplay. Its just fun doing it. ^^

If you want a favorite then, buying online cheaper when its cheaper then me buying the fabric. Due to where I live, fabric that I need can be particularly difficult to find so I have to count in shipping with my overall cost when it comes to making cosplays.

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
Libis

Do whichever makes you happiest. If sewing is torture to you, buy from someone else. If you love arts and crafts/sewing, make your own.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote