Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 12-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
AwkwardMonsters
Rejected Hentai Creature

Exclamation Pigtail help

Soooo,
Monday, I recieved my first ever long wig. It's about 40" long. For my cosplay, I need it in pig tails. However, I'm unsure of how I should style it.
Does anyone have any suggestions that would help me? I've never styled a wig before and I'm worried that I may end up damaging my wig.

2012-13 Cosplay List
rogue!Miku Hatsune ~ 50%

Proud Homestuck, Vocaloid, Supernatural, and Harry Potter fan.

Links
Tumblr- awkward-tentacle-monster.tumblr.com
dA- randomgurl98.deviantart.com
AwkwardMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

That's gonna be very hard..most people would buy a short base wig and get 2 ponytail clip ins. To put the hair up you will need more wefts
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
novaraven1

you can search on here or on youtube for tutorials, but I agree, you will need to buy extra wefts to sew into your wig if you are doing the piggytails up high because there will be gaps when a wig that is meant to hang straight down is put up.

you could have bought a short base wig and clip on ponytail extensions. cheapest easiest option.

you could also have gone to amphigory or arda wigs and gotten a piggytail base wig with a nice latex skin part already styled in and some clip on ponytail extensions to just put over the short piggytails already on the wig. This option costs more and it depends if your char needs a clearly defined part or not since the short pixie cut base wigs that usually come with the cheaper clip on ponytail sets do not have a part down the back and don't look very good if you try to put one in without adding extra wefts.

If i were you I would be returning the first wig if at all possible and getting something more appropriate. For anything in a 40" length or longer I check epiccosplay.com for their clip on sets (if you dont need the part feature or can live without it) because their wig fiber does not tangle as easily as other manufacturers. It may cost more than e-bay but they are reliable and save me so much time on detangling. ^^ I'd choose a wig from them in a slightly off colour from what I need rather than the wig in the perfect colour from anywhere else just to avoid the hassle of detangling those extra long wigs.

Last edited by novaraven1 : 12-07-2012 at 10:36 AM.
novaraven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Clip on ponytails may or may not work depending on the the pigtails are supposed to look. For instance, they'll look fine for Hatsune Miku, but for, say, Akemi Homura, they wouldn't look right at all.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._Miku-illu.png
http://konachan.com/post/show?md5=70...e9a2b332689b42

If your pigtails need to look like Miku's, clip on ponytails will work fine. But if they need to look more like Homura's, you'll want to sew in extra wefts.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote