Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 12-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
faraday48

How to avoid the con badge photobomb

I'm still new to cons, so I was wondering if anyone has some good advice about the best way to wear your badge so that it doesn't become an accidental photobomb?
faraday48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

For a private, scheduled photoshoot, just take it off and set it aside. Don't forget to pick it back up again when you're done.

For a quickie hallway shot, have your badge SECURELY clipped/pinned/ziptied to a side of your costume (belt height maybe) and practice a pose that turns the badge away from the camera. Or if you have a big prop like a shield, secure it to the inside of your shield.

If you have a couple of pre-determined poses for your character, and can pull them off on command, it'll make your quickie hallway shots much more interesting. Exaggerated poses and facial expressions make for interesting, fun photos. Practice these poses in front of a mirror, and figure out where you can put your badge so it won't be distracting and right in the shot.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraday48 View Post
I'm still new to cons, so I was wondering if anyone has some good advice about the best way to wear your badge so that it doesn't become an accidental photobomb?
A lot of times at a con I will stuff my badge into my pocket/bag/etc. I just bring it out when I need to get into the dealer's hall / artists alley, panel or something like that. Just walking around the con there is no reason to have your badge out.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
For a private, scheduled photoshoot, just take it off and set it aside.
At Anime Los Angeles 2007 I was doing a private photo-shoot, and a staffer comes up and asks to see our badges. The cosplayer's badge was next to her bag, and the staffer wanted her to put it on right-then-and-there. "Badges must be worn around your neck at all times" she said.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
At Anime Los Angeles 2007 I was doing a private photo-shoot, and a staffer comes up and asks to see our badges. The cosplayer's badge was next to her bag, and the staffer wanted her to put it on right-then-and-there. "Badges must be worn around your neck at all times" she said.
Talk about power trip...

I always ask the cosplayers to remove it or swing it behind them. If a staffer had a problem with that we'd have a foot race to the operations center.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

I personally don't mind badges in abrupt hallway style photos. It fits with the rest of the atmosphere. No need to take it off unless the photographer insists.

For private shoots, take it off and set it aside as Nathan suggests. If something like what happened to Eurobeat King happens, you are kind of SOL unless you want to make a scene. haha
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukotsuto View Post
For private shoots, take it off and set it aside as Nathan suggests. If something like what happened to Eurobeat King happens, you are kind of SOL unless you want to make a scene. haha
Honestly you just keep moving or thank them and ask not to be bothered again. ALA in particular has an anti-harassment policy and it's not too hard to find someone who is more understanding or considerate of the situation. Plus most of the time, if you are doing a photoshoot, you aren't in the controlled areas or private areas anyway.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Or, here's an idea: Completely forget to take it off during the private photoshoot

DragonCon_20120901_3016.jpg by nathancarter, on Flickr

DragonCon_20120831_2660.jpg by nathancarter, on Flickr

(right there at the butt of the sword, ha ha)

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Allyieh
Volunteer (Fire Starter)

I usually either stuff it inside the shirt/outfit I'm wearing and take it out for DR/AA/etc.. Or you can push the landyard around your neck so it hangs down your back rather than your chest for pictures - instead of the whole badge showing, you only have the thin landyard around your neck showing.
Sim | The Sims
(Censored) Sim | The Sims
AnimeNEXT 2014
Petra Ral | Attack On Titan
(Post Pieta/Battle of the North Arc) Clare | Claymore
Amelia Pond | Doctor Who
(Censored) Sim | The Sims

Other Cosplays
Candy | Holy Musical B@man
Stephanie | Lazy Town
Allyieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

I appreciate cosplayers who attach their badges to their bags/purses. That way they don't get lost or left behind in my photobag by accident (I offer to carry loose badges for cosplayers to make it easier during shoots).

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
bodatheyoda
Thats right, love me

for abrupt photos of me I usually turn it around so it hangs down my back...for private shoots I have the costumer take it off, for hall photos..someone above said it best...it adds to the atmosphere and I agree.

My photography page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tk8919Photography
My DA: http://bodatheyoda.deviantart.com/

http://www.501st.com
bodatheyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I usually have my badge tied around my purse and I just put my bag down in front of me or behind me(if there's a wall), or give it to a friend.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

They are not just badges. They can be costume compromisers. For photos, carefully hide them without loosing them.

The casual person with a camera may not care about this detail, but more serious photographers might.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
SoulCrash
Canon 7D w/ 17-55 580exII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukotsuto View Post
I personally don't mind badges in abrupt hallway style photos. It fits with the rest of the atmosphere. No need to take it off unless the photographer insists.
About that... I'll make the exception here... usually, I don't mind badges being in the way of a shot during hallway shooting... BUT!!! Back at Anime Crossroad, they made the call to have some badges have the real name in BIG text, and their call sign on the bottom with small text. Since I'm more "mainstream" with my photo stuff... I like my cosplayers, and I don't want no creeper fanboy to get all over them on facebook or something... I photoshop the name tag out of the pic..... I didn't realize that til I got home after the con that night..
Unread 12-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #15
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCrash View Post
About that... I'll make the exception here... usually, I don't mind badges being in the way of a shot during hallway shooting... BUT!!! Back at Anime Crossroad, they made the call to have some badges have the real name in BIG text, and their call sign on the bottom with small text. Since I'm more "mainstream" with my photo stuff... I like my cosplayers, and I don't want no creeper fanboy to get all over them on facebook or something... I photoshop the name tag out of the pic..... I didn't realize that til I got home after the con that night..
That's understandable. I wouldn't want to spend the time blurring out each badge by hand.