Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
ShannonSoars
Is Dead With Divas

Best makeup for Homestcuk cosplay?

Soooo I plan on doing my first homestuck cosplay (something i never thought id do in a million years lol) with my friend. Im going as Gamzee and he is gonna be Eridan.
Ive been looking at some tutorials and searching the web for what makeup we should use and Im just curious as to what anyone would reccomend
Ive been seeing a lot about Ben Nye but Ive also noticed people say you have to mix the grey and white and but like 4 things of it which I dont really have the money for.
Ive also been seeing some about Mehron and Snazaroo?
Im just looking for something that will last all day at a con and look good.
Also just wondering if the makeup I use for my face can also be applied to my arms and neck or if I need to buy anything different and if there are any sealer spray or powder I should buy as well?
Thanks!

MegaCon 2014

Shadocon 2014

MetroCon 2014

"it's not my problem if they think i'm weird" - Sid Vicious
ShannonSoars is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Zhor'Fughakee
Infantry Skirmisher

I used Snazaroo in the past and seriously, I don't like it because your face will look marbled and you need several layers of makeup to no have this effect...

So I'd suggest Ben Nye, which is mostly opaque and high pigmented, but you must set it with powder ! Ben Nye or Graftobian loose powders work well it's long lasting and even water resistant

Here's me with Porcelain by Ben Nye skintone to show you how opaque it is :

and the Ben Nye color chart if you need Cadaver Grey could be something interesting for a Homestuck troll http://prymeartistry.com/wp-content/...colourcake.jpg

Hope it helped !
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
WumpaFruit

I used Krylon aqua colors (because it's hypoallergetic and doesn't irritate my skin and such)
and I used that on my face to mid neck)
I also used I Ben Nye's final seal spray over it THEN in addition used translucent powder (you can also just use baby powder)
Then I got pros aid and mixed that with gray acrylic paint and painted up my arms/neck.
Then LOTS of powdering, especially in the elbows!
The wonderful thing about prosaid is that it doesn't wear onto your costume. That's why I used it around my neck/collar because then it didn't rub off onto my shirt.
The only problem I had was removing it. The prosaid remover smelled AWFUL (I would NOT suggest spraying it in a confined space- or even a hotel room like I did!)
I got wonderful results, though. And didn't rub on anything.
For results of my Equius cosplay check out my deviantart (below). I'll also be uploading soem more pics soon!
Any questions feel free to PM me on here, my deviantart, or even tumblr.
;u;
WumpaFruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
SuddenlyAirship
Master of everything

You don't need to buy 4 things of Ben Nye, you only need a grey and two whites, which would cost like 18 dollars max, and it lasts a while. The steel grey is one that is suggested but not needed, because it's just for shading
SuddenlyAirship is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Blip

There's really no need to mix anything and if you're being Gamzee you won't need any shading. I use Ben Nye personally and either grey or steel grey for gamzee's face and regular grey for the neck. I'd use pax or liquid latex for the arms which is either pros-aide or liquid latex mixed with grey acrylic paint which is then painted on and sealed with powder. Basically everything WumpaFruit said.

Here are some really good tutorials for Gamzee especially though I'd ignore the stuff about mixing the Ben Nye.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN8GECxQzBw
http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread...=1#post4167924

Also I second everything said about sealing your makeup but also would like to suggest that an easy solution if you're pressed for money is sealing with baby powder and a strong hairspray which works as a good substitute for professional sealing products in a pinch.

Last edited by Blip : 12-29-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Shirayuki~Chan

Personally, I really didn't like Ben Nye, as I couldn't get it to not be shiny and wet looking(probably my fault, but whatever), and I know a lot of people who do use Snazaroo that love it and you don't have to mix anything, it's also cheaper.

Cosplays:
Tycho Science- Diebuster
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote