Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 12-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Chimarie26

Is this normal?

So, in August (around), I joined this TEAM Weightloss class at Lifetime Fitness.
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evening, we meet on the treadmills and do a variety of different exercises for an hour.
On Mondays, it's cut in half to allow 30 minutes with our nutritionist.

Well, at the start of it for me, I weighed roughly 145 lbs and had a 40-44 body fat percentage (I can't remember exactly what it was).
At the beginning of November when we did an assessment, I was still at roughly 145 lbs, but my body fat percentage went down to 37.
Last week, I was still at the same body weight, but my body fat went down to 33.7%.

In other words, while my body fat is going down, my weight is staying the same over the course of several months.
Can someone explain this to me?
Is it the rate of gaining muscles vs the rate of losing fat?
Am I just doing something wrong?

I do make a protein shake after almost every session, could it be that?
I don't know, I'm kind of baffled and not sure what to think of this...
Chimarie26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Imonai
Cosplay beginner

Since muscles weigh more than fat it's problerly because you're gaining muscles. However, if you don't want muscles either you might have to change your training method. I'm not sure about this however, so you should consult a training expert
Imonai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Sokar

When your body fat level changes but not your weight it is the formation of muscle in place of the fat you lost. When I work with my clients I always tell them don't worry as much about the weight, its a number and can be very deceiving. The mirror can be more honest or if your clothes are getting looser then that's also sign. Keep in mind your weight will fluctuate up and down by a few pounds depending on the day.

How tall are you? And just curious but what protein shake are you having? Some brands are better than others.

Now that was the long answer but the short answer is yes it is very common. Sometimes the weight remains the same yet body fat percentage will drop.It is just a sign of the changes occurring inside your body.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Arti

Actually, muscles weight just the same as fat. I think you meant that muscles are more denser than fat.

The initial results can be from the body getting into shape. Even though you're not losing weight. I don't usually use that as an indicator of progress. Best indicator of progress is when your clothes get looser (ie your pants size), your body fat percentage, and progression in your training. Noticing that it went down, it means that you're on the right track.

There is a relationship between body fat and muscle gain, which mechanisms are kinda complex. Roughly it's Since you started with a lot of body fat, the body is more willing to use it for energy, such as muscle growth. Once you start losing more body fat, the body will slow down its rate of growth as a survival mechanism.

Muscle gain isn't a bad thing either, because it means that the body has to use more energy to repair those muscles for your workouts. Remember that women can't build bulky muscles like men do due to Testosterone, so I won't worry much about it.

Finally, I do want to know what you're eating too. Excess carbs tend to blunt fat burning because of Insulin.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
rndmguy

How were they measuring your BF%?
rndmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Chimarie26

Alright, thanks~
I'm not really worried about muscle gain and stuff because I think it's awesome to be toned.
The only thing I don't like being toned are my calves, but I'll deal with it lol.

I'm fairly short, being only 4'9" (145 cm).

I use Lifetime's FastFuel Complete, which is actually a meal replacement protein powder, but it has been working for me as far as I can tell.

I've upped my protein intake, and lowered my carbs though I still eat rice (I'm half Korean, rice has been in my diet for as long as I can remember and I don't think it will change).
The rice is usually a mix between white and brown, white and various types of beans, or purple (?) rice.
What I eat with it depends on what's available, so...

Their scales have a built in body fat percentage calculator where you have to put in your weight, age, height, etc...
They also use calipers which is how my last two results were calculated.
Chimarie26 is offline   Reply With Quote