Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 12-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Alyaina
Cosplayer the new species

Talking Shikamaru costume help

I am trying to figure out how to either make a jacket, or buy a one without going bankrupt, from naruto shippuden. The green one most ninja's wear. Anyone know how hard it is to make one since I will be doing this from hand, and how much will it cost about with materials? Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
FMA - Hughes 0% T.T
Vocaloid - Gakupo 0% TT.TT
It's easy to predict professionals, the amateurs are the dangerous ones.
Alyaina is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
highsky

I'm not familiar with Naruto, but do you perhaps mean the one above?
If so, you should be able to alter a pattern from the fabric store in order to get that look. I'd say to check out some of the simple jacket patterns (I can't find the pattern brand/number that I have which may be helpful-- sorry). Definitely look out at JoAnn Fabrics around the holiday time since they tend to have really nice deals where you can buy patterns for $1 as opposed to $16.

The jacket/vest wouldn't be too hard depending on what your preferred fabric choice is and your skill level (if you're a beginner, it might be a tad difficult) and if you have a sewing machine (the level of difficulty may be higher if you're sewing it all by hand). If you're looking into making it from twill, you could be looking at around $7 a yard. Pleather would be a little more (an you may have to check out some online stores since that color is pretty hard to find-- at least when I go fabric shopping when doing commissions, I have a difficult time finding that color). Though these prices are off the top of my head and might depend on your local stores. The cost of the fabric will also depend on your size.

Here are some other threads that might be helpful!
Ideas on how to tackle the jacket/vest
Altering suggestions from existing jacket

If anything, you could also make a post in the wanted commissions section with your measurements to get quotes on how much a commissioner or fellow cosplayer would charge to make it for you.

I hope this helped!