Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
maskedrose

Ghost in the Shell - MOTOKO cosplay HELP plz

Hello all! I'm wanting to do a cosplay as Motoko from Ghost in the shell... I'd like to do her tan military uniform; however, I'm not so certain on where to begin. I'm thinking a pattern for a pencil skirt and a military jacket....

Has anyone any experience with this sort of outfit? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/226/51...390_z.jpg?zz=1
maskedrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
maskedrose

Thanks!

I actually just bought a pattern off of Etsy that I think is perfect with a little bit of modification... One pattern with both a jacket and a skirt so I'm saving some $$$$

Now to figure out the pockets and the belt thing.
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

For the Pockets you can use the "Patch Pocket" approach where you basically take a square, fold under the edges and topstitch it in place over where they lie on the bust.

But because they have that box pleat, the pocket should look like a rectangle first, then you fold under the lip and the sides, Form the box pleat by using the excess (The extra fabric that makes this piece a rectangle rather than a perfect square) and fold towards the center, then stay stitch the pleats in place and then top stitch it on

for the flap you can take 2 pieces the same shape and sew them together like a pillow leaving a side or a small piece on the top open so that you can turn it out and then iron it and topstitch it all to make it look clean. then topstitch the top of the piece to the bust, above the opening of the pocket

Hope that helps! ^_^
Unread 12-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
maskedrose

@_@ lol wow..

I'll have to practice with some fabric.. that sounds so confusing lol
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

I made that outfit for a child once. I used Simplicity 4669. I used a medium weight fabric and modified the heck out of the pattern. Luckly I had some dress blues to study. The belt was two belts from the Salvation Army; I think I used velcro because of time. Don't worry the pocket sounds more complicated then it is. The difficult part for me was finding the ribbon bar and stars for the shoulders. I think I just ended up modifying a pin I had and wrapped it in red, white and blue grosgrain ribbon. The stars where buttons. If you have an army surplus near you check them out of the trimmings. I hope this helps.

Also, double check your pattern. I want to say old ones run smaller around the waist then modern ones.
Unread 12-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
maskedrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ororo Monroe View Post
I made that outfit for a child once. I used Simplicity 4669. I used a medium weight fabric and modified the heck out of the pattern. Luckly I had some dress blues to study. The belt was two belts from the Salvation Army; I think I used velcro because of time. Don't worry the pocket sounds more complicated then it is. The difficult part for me was finding the ribbon bar and stars for the shoulders. I think I just ended up modifying a pin I had and wrapped it in red, white and blue grosgrain ribbon. The stars where buttons. If you have an army surplus near you check them out of the trimmings. I hope this helps.

Also, double check your pattern. I want to say old ones run smaller around the waist then modern ones.
I did check the measurements. I'm a vintage 12 and I'm pretty saavy with altering patterns.. I had no intention of cutting this one (it's uncut so I'm going to trace a copy).. I worked with vintage dressforms back in highschool since I guess they were too poor to buy us new ones LOL...

Do you have pictures of what you did for the shoulders?

Thanks!
Unread 12-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Lucky you. We didn't even have dress forms. I'll look around, but I think I only have a distance shot of the dress. I believe I still have the dress blues.