Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 12-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
TomatoandScones
The knight who says ni

Why is this so expensive?!

I found this site through an ad on Cosplay.com, and it appears to sell just wigs.
http://www.layered.me.e.as.hp.transe...ters/vocaloid/
My only question is- why on earth are they so expensive? They don't look any higher quality than something you'd find at arda, which is a lot cheaper. I really don't understand... Why pay 200 dollars for a Miku wig???

Current Cosplays-
Kyou Fujibayashi-90%
Maiko Hikizuri- 5%
Asuna-75%
Erik/Phantom of the opera commission-10%
TomatoandScones is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Eh, the same reason fabric at Joann's is more expensive than Fabric.com
Marked up prices for profit.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
usuyukisou

JAIL's always been pricier than most other wig sites I've come across. It could be because the JAIL brand is under Layered, which hosts cosplay events quite often. They also have a brick and mortar store to maintain, so... They also run frequent campaigns that can add up to a decent discount. I think those two 140 cm Miku wigs are probably the most expensive in the store, though.

I think the crappy exchange rate is rubbing salt on the wound though. 14980 yen divided by 77 (current) = 194.55.... 14980 yen divided by 117 (year 2008) = 128.03...

Well, at any rate. They're selling wigs and staying afloat, so someone probably considers them worthwhile... I've actually been eying two of their wigs for awhile now... I guess at that time I'll post a detailed review?
Unread 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
TomatoandScones
The knight who says ni

But still... That's quite a lot of dollars when you could get the same thing $150 cheaper, right?

Current Cosplays-
Kyou Fujibayashi-90%
Maiko Hikizuri- 5%
Asuna-75%
Unread 12-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
usuyukisou

*shrug* I'm fine with paying more for something that lasts longer. After I get one, I'll post a review as to whether they are worth the prices.

JAIL is currently running a campaign. If you buy 3 wigs, the lowest priced one becomes free. Vance wigs are excluded from the promotion even if it is the lowest in the order though....

Maybe it's promotions like those, plus the point program and what not that makes it bearable? I haven't seen one of their wigs in person yet, so I can't speak as to whether it's worth the price.

As for "getting the same thing"... Well, I'm personally quite picky about colour. Although those colours don't appear to be very special, I wouldn't say that everything and anything can be obtained cheaper. I have yet to find a perfect replacement for a perfect out-of-production Lightning wig, for example. I don't necessarily pinch pennies when I buy; I just buy (a lot) less frequently than a lot of people here seemingly do, so I (personally) don't shy away from heftier price tags. YMMV.
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
TomatoandScones
The knight who says ni

I agree, somewhat. My most expensive one made me drop about $90. However, I'm less picky when it comes to colour, as I can just dye it myself. It's all about the material for for me. I like them to be soft, but not tangle much. Even so, I take very good care of my wigs at cons. I'm constantly grooming them so even the cheap ones are still in perfect condition. Also, I ordered a lot from fantasy sheep on taobao, so I got many great wigs at a very small price. Except for the shipping...

I'd LOVE to see a review of one of those wigs, though, to see if it's really worth it. They look nice, but they're all styled and in professional lighting.

It's just... I've seen human hair wigs run for that much so it seems a little silly to me to pay that much for plastic. Even really nice plastic. xD

Current Cosplays-
Kyou Fujibayashi-90%
Maiko Hikizuri- 5%
Asuna-75%