Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 12-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Plus sized petticoat?

Hello, I need to find a petticoat that's more cupcake shaped but that's bigger. I don;t know ANYTHING about them but I have read they all have elastic waistbands. I seen a good one on clobbaonline, but it was like $50, but I was wondering if there was one for cheaper? Like a lot cheaper..I saw some perrtis on eBay, but they were all "A" shaped, and that's not what I'm after. Can anyone link me to some, maybe cheaper eBay ones that are bigger or something? I don't know what measurement they usually go up to, But "petit" and "medium" things will probably never work....

Thanks for any help
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
PoodleBoy

I would just try looking for petticoats on Ebay. Theres ALOT so the possibility of finding the kind your're looking for is pretty good.
Unread 12-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Do all pettis have an elastic band? And do they normally stretch pretty big I don't know what measurements I'll have when I loose the weight, so just in case you know..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 12-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Magical Machete
Wait... what?!

They all pretty much have elastic. Usually they have 5-6" of stretch I would say, but I wouldn't push it that far because you'll get that dough spilling over the pan look (which is terrible no matter what clothing/fashion you're wearing), plus it'll make the petti wear out faster.
If you buy a petti for under $50, it's going to be cheap, so you'll have to replace it after a few wears anyway. It fitting when you're bigger and smaller wont be an issue you should run into realistically.

Now, I would suggest investing in a Malco Modes petti. The waists are elastic, but have buttons so it can be adjusted a bit, and with a minimal amount of work, could be customized further for a better fit. These petticoats are A-Line, but can be modified temporarily to have a cupcake shape by pinning the top layer to the waistband about 6" to 8" all the way around. Adjust until you're satisfied with the shape. I have the MM582 and I love it.
I'm typically considered "plus size" in lolita with a 28" waist (39" hips), but I wear a small from Malco Modes (would be petite if not for my hips), and their sizes run up to XL. I'll let you imagine the wide range of measurements that covers.

Now, I do want to say, with a cupcake shape, there are a few things to keep in mind:
-Cupcake shapes aren't as flattering for fat people without a lot of skills and practice wearing lolita
-Cupcake looks best with sweet lolita
-Don't make your skirt too full when going for this look because then it looks stupid and like a balloon, which would look way worse with an overall bigger body size

Good luck. ^ ^
Unread 12-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Magical Machete, Thanks for that info. I will have to google that brand later.

And yes I know that stuff already
-That is why I am loosing weight before doing my lolita out anywhere. The reason I asked about bigger ones is because I am a guy so My waist will normally be bigger then that of a females, therefore the size small will never fit me..The smallest my waist has been since highschool was pants size "male 34" which is about a size 9-11 in female pants (they veried on brand). But that ALSO was with a very flat stomach and little body fat.
-I actually AM doing a sweet lolita outfit so....That was the whole reason lol
-I have a friend that will help with how it looks on me and if needed can make it "less poofy" or whatever for me so it doesn't look like that, I was more just looking for a good seller to go to and hoping I could get a cheap priced one but I see that's a bad idea so I will dish out the money.

Again thank you very much.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 12-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Magical Machete
Wait... what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Magical Machete, Thanks for that info. I will have to google that brand later.

And yes I know that stuff already
-That is why I am loosing weight before doing my lolita out anywhere. The reason I asked about bigger ones is because I am a guy so My waist will normally be bigger then that of a females, therefore the size small will never fit me..The smallest my waist has been since highschool was pants size "male 34" which is about a size 9-11 in female pants (they veried on brand). But that ALSO was with a very flat stomach and little body fat.
That's why I said the small fits a 28" waist and nearly 40" hips no problem. There is even room to spare. If a small is this big, and they run up to XL, of course they're going to have one that will fit much fatter people (I think the biggest can fit up to 54", which is just ridiculous). I should have been more clear in my writing and shouldn't have assumed you would pick up on what I implied.

Quote:
-I actually AM doing a sweet lolita outfit so....That was the whole reason lol
That's good then. Just make sure the skirt can accommodate a cupcake shape (which it should, but some companies are diff. and label things off).

Quote:
-I have a friend that will help with how it looks on me and if needed can make it "less poofy" or whatever for me so it doesn't look like that, I was more just looking for a good seller to go to and hoping I could get a cheap priced one but I see that's a bad idea so I will dish out the money.
Yeah, it's something that you really shouldn't try to be cheap with, because it's such an important piece to a lolita coord. Without the proper petti, any coord will look like garbage, no matter how well put together it is.
You can get a great petti that will last practically forever for only like $50-$60. It's way better than spending $20+ twice or more a year to replace old worn out pettis.
An alternative would be to go to the comm and see if there is a nice petti for sale used. Sometimes you can find some real gems on the comm marketplace.

Quote:
Again thank you very much.
No problem bro~
Unread 12-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh I get it lol That's good then. If they go THAT big, there's no reason not to go there..I also hear other then from you that that brand is good. So I shall go there..

Yea, the dress can. The girl I'm buying it from was going to use it for sweet but never did She knows it can fit a cupcake shape so that's all good.

Yea, I've been reading up on that..In fact, I follow Lolita-Tips on Tumblr, and someone actually ask about buying a cheap priced petti and they said no matter what DO NOT buy a low priced one unless you know it's a good one lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Magical Machete
Wait... what?!

Thats good you have it sorted out then! Life is weird how someone says something to you, and then you start seeing it all over. ^ ^;
Unread 12-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh gosh, I know right? lol It happens all the time..Like literally..It's more psychological though..lol It's because now it's in your mind so you notice it more then when you aren't thinking about it lol Which explains a lot lol

Anyway thank you for all your help. I'm really glad you posted lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Hey Magical Machete, so I finally got around to looking that brand up. However, they seem to not carry any cupcake shaped petti's. Which bums me out..I know you said they are A-Line, and I know you kinda told me how to make it into acupcake shape, but is there a tutorial on exactly what you mean? Not that your explaination was bad or anything, it wasn't, but It's harder for me to learn by just text, I've always learned better visually. If you know of a good tutorial (and I'd rather someone give me one before I find one that is incorrect being a noob and all), that would be amazing and I'll be eternally greatfull ^_^

Thank you for the reccomendation
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 12-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I actually need to find a half decent one too. I am a MtF transgender and never dared to try Lolita until yesterday lol I didn't think I could pull it off honestly but I have always wanted to

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Magical Machete
Wait... what?!

This girl posted a description of it: http://egl.livejournal.com/17283116.html
This thread also has some good explanations: http://egl.livejournal.com/15603459.html

If this still doesn't help, I should be back home by the 26th (I'm with my family right now), and I can take pics of my own for you to see and explain.
Good luck.
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
Magical Machete
Wait... what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice MacLeod View Post
I actually need to find a half decent one too. I am a MtF transgender and never dared to try Lolita until yesterday lol I didn't think I could pull it off honestly but I have always wanted to
I would still recommend the Malco Modes petti for you. ^ ^ I really love them because they're longer (which is good for tall loli's, or for males crossplaying), and the sizes are bigger because they're made with Americans in mind. The prices are also more reasonable than buying from a brand. These kind don't deflate, and are super soft!
Even though they are A-Line, they can be altered to be cupcake shaped. I find this very useful since I have both styles of JSK/OP/skirts, because I didn't need to buy two petticoats. :3
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Thank you I will look at those in a sec here but I see you said they are long so they are good for taller people..I'm really short..I don't want them to be too long for my dress..

EDIT:
OH I read the second one, It seems to help a lot. It says to roll the waistband and it will make the petti SHORTER and POOFIER!! Which is what I would want..lol Awesome. I will do that for sure.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)

Dream cosplays for now:

Last edited by JasonTerror : 12-20-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Magical Machete
Wait... what?!

Yeah! It's nothing to worry about! I'm only 5'6", and I wore these when I was 5'4", and even then, I barely had to roll it, especially after making it cupcake shaped.
If you need any more help, let me know. ^ ^ If you want a quick reply, PM me, or message me on FB (link in sig).