Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 12-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
enency

FemmePyro

Dear cosplayers of the world

Hello I an inspiring cosplayer and I am hoping to cosplay the pyro. The version that I would most like to do is the “The_Fanciest_Of_Pants”. Though I have already run into a few problems and I was hoping that the fine cosplayers here could help me with my problems.

1.) I have no idea where to get a patter like this (or one close enough to modify). I have tried most patter stores and even a few adult stores.
2.) What is the best the fabric to chose. My first choice is using vile, however I can foresee this causing problems with heat stroke and other such things. Not to mention vile is rather expensive.
3.) The mask itself is not hard to find. Although I can't seem to fine the proper attachments that I would need, or know of a way to make them if they do not exist.
4.) On the account of the gloves I have been experimenting with a few different pants, with little success. Acrylic, rubber, and spry paints all crack within hours. I have been considering air brushing, but that can be a bit pricey and seeing how this project is already setting bake quit a bit I would like to know if it is wroth the money. There is also always the option of taking an existing pair of gloves and modifying them.

Hope you can help
Enency
http://tf2chan.net/cosplay/src/135502743616.jpg
enency is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Umbra.Exe
Loves bad puns

enency: First off, it might help to have a reference picture of the character in question. Not everyone is familiar with Team Fortress. It would also help if it was a picture of the specific version you want? The one you have is just the body, not the mask or gloves.

1) Try looking for a catsuit/bodysuit pattern and altering it to your needs.

2) Are you talking about Vinyl? Yes, that fabric doesn't breathe very well, although it is shiny like the Pyro. Maybe sacrifice a bit of accuracy for comfort? How about Spandex/Lycra? Not sure how much it costs though.

3) This mask looks quite a bit like the Pyro's, but you would have to somehow add the side cylinder. maybe use a can of some sort and paint it? http://www.goldnuggetsurplus.com/mm5...uct_Code=CE002

4) What kind of gloves are you using? Rubber gloves? Not sure what you'd use to paint those- Try looking up how to paint latex, rubber or vinyl, depending on what they're made of. You'd need some kind of flexible paint, maybe paint mixed with latex or something of the sort. I know fabric paint is somewhat flexible, but I've never painted rubber, so I'm not sure it would work...

Are you painting it in thin layers or in one big thick layer of paint? I've been told it's better to paint in thinner layers.
Umbra.Exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Devkyu

3) Check an army surplus store. I saw a bunch in there literally yesterday that are the exact mask (except tan instead of black)