Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
InfamousRed

Materials?

I'm curious to know what kind of materials some of you cosplayers use to make your cosplay outfits? Any suggestions what kinds are good, not good, etc. Reason being that I'm going to start making my own outfits by hand and of course, sewing machine instead of purchasing a costume.

Example: I want to cosplay Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Estelle) from Tales of Vesperia. What kind of materials, fabrics, etc would be good to use?
InfamousRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
animazn

You should look in the Sewing/Fabric Crafts for info on materials. You can always ask for a tutorial on Cosplay Tutorials too! Hope this helps!

Cosplay Page
Cosplays 2014:
Kirito-Gun Gale Online 30%
Akihito(dance version)-KNK 90%
Akihito(school version)-KNK 0%
Veigar-League of Legends 0%
Zabuza-Naruto 0%
Hikaru Hitachiin-OHHC 80%
Haru(Fem version)-Free! 10%
Ping-Mulan 30%
Sandwich-kun-SAO 10%
animazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

I think the biggest no-no to stay away from is costume satin. Some more high quality satins are acceptable for SOME purposes (though some people do seem to look down on all of them regardless) but overall just try to stay away unless you want to look like a shiny mess.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroSonyCat View Post
I think the biggest no-no to stay away from is costume satin. Some more high quality satins are acceptable for SOME purposes (though some people do seem to look down on all of them regardless) but overall just try to stay away unless you want to look like a shiny mess.
THIS x1000%.

I have an acquaintance who LOVES to use costume satin. Because it's cheap. He glows like a toxic neon light in photos, and you can see all the bits fraying and where all the seams don't match up and every single pucker and stitch out of line.

As one of my friends recently put it, "If you use good fabrics, your costume will look better and help cover up for some of the mistakes you might make. If you use crap fabric, it will just accentuate all the mistakes."

So go for the good stuff. It might be more expensive (But not always! Sometimes it's decently priced or there's a good deal to be had!), but it will look better in the long run.

Also, I would personally go for a better fabric is a slightly wrong shade than a cheap looking fabric in the exact color. Fabrics can be dyed (usually), but the quality itself it whatever you choose to use.

Which leads me to broadcloth. It comes in a million colors that are perfect matches for costumes, and it's cheap. It's also super thin, kind of rough in texture, and it just brings down the overall look of costumes. Good for mockups, but not so much for the final costume.

I personally use a lot of stretch cotton sateen (I am in love with it, seriously), the fabrics from Joann's Rodeo and Casa Collection lines, and Kona Cotton. I also use a lot of fabrics from the home decor aisles of stores. They have some very nice vinyls and brocade fabrics there, some of which are a LOT nicer quality than similar ones in their apparel section.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote