Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
R3X
you're not my destiny,

Not into what you're cosplaying?

What are you're opinions on people who cosplay outside of a fandom they're in?

I'd like to do a Homestuck troll cosplay, I like how most of them look, and the fandom is pretty big. But I don't like the comic, and I don't really have any clue what it's about.
R3X is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
SA2R
King of the Skies

I am planning a Kurloz cosplay in the spring, and I have only read up to page 1000, and haven't even played the game XD I am personally doing it to accompany a friend.
Just be aware~ that some people may have a problem with someone cosplaying something, that they haven't read/watched/played.
I personally am thinking: they can deal X3

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ī ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
AnimeAndMusical

Sort of, I cosplayed Prussia from Hetalia more because I am interested in a few of the AUs than the original series. I also cosplayed a character I don't particularly like from Pandora Hearts because it goes with a future cosplay from the same series (PH has quite a few characters that are actually two minds in one body, this is one of them).

Edit: I just thought I should clarify, I am a fan of the "original" Hetalia too (otherwise I wouldn't have gotten interested in the AUs). I also understand both series well, it's just an interesting point to consider

Last edited by AnimeAndMusical : 12-26-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Clarifying what I meant.
AnimeAndMusical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Akahime
Red Princess

I have no problem with people who cosplays whatever the reason might be. Rather the reason is because the clothes of the character look pretty or if they are doing it to accompany their other friends, I don't think it's in our place to judge. And really as long they are having fun, that's all that matters! : D
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Paigey
Fighting da powa

People can cosplay whatever they like, but I think it's important to do your research even if it's a design from something you have absolutely no interest in. Some people might be disappointed that you're not really a fan but at least they will respect the fact that you didn't just throw the costume on and walk out the door with no forethought.
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Hey, do what you want. Expect people to try to nerd out with you about the canon and have a few stock responses ready. "I just loved the character design", "I'm in it for the fandom", "I'm doing this with friends", and so on and so on. I'd recommend against announcing that you actually dislike the source material, mostly because it'll seem like you're insulting the enthusiasm of the person who's trying to talk to you. Keep things friendly and light and you'll have fun in your costume.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Asezuna

Not into what you're cosplaying? It might be just me, but it's not... Worth it? Well... I doubt that it's the right expression, but...
Personally, I'd feel ashamed if I were cosplaying from something that I don't really know. I mean, let's assume, I do cosplay it. Then somebody comes, likes your costume, etc., etc., and then just starts to talk about things in the comic/cartoon/whatever. And you cannot even say something regarding it, for you have no idea what is he talking about.
But it's just a personal opinion. You go and do as you like.
".... Not much of a threat, considering we're already in Hel."
Asezuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
ChatNoir
Lubim Ta

I've known people who cosplayed something as part of a group of friends so that the group wasn't "missing" a character. I don't necessarily think there's anything wron with tha, but I can see where things would get awkward if someone comes up to talk about the fandom and the cosplayer doesn't know much about it. But I figure anyone cosplaying a character they don't know probably has some good reason for it, whether it's the design or for a group or whatever.

Rose Tyler - Doctor Who
River Song - Doctor Who
Kaylee Frye - Firefly
Fem!Sam - Supernatural
Sam Winchester - Supernatural
Fem!Sherlock - BBC Sherlock
Fem!Newt Geiszler - Pacific Rim
ChatNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

I've done it quite a bit, mainly because my friends asked me too. A most times was just to complete the group and once because it was her first time cosplaying and she wanted me there so she wasn't alone.

Is it worth it? It depends on your definition of worth, friendship is very important to me and so I find it has worth. If anyone asked me about the series I'm cosplaying from I can point them to my friend who would gladly talk to them about said series.

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3X View Post
What are you're opinions on people who cosplay outside of a fandom they're in?

I'd like to do a Homestuck troll cosplay, I like how most of them look, and the fandom is pretty big. But I don't like the comic, and I don't really have any clue what it's about.
So?

You like the character design. I don't see what the issue here is.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Shirayuki~Chan

It happens. I cosplayed the ballgown version of Ciel because I wanted to wear a victorian style ballgown, and I've never seen more than an episode of Black Butler. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Lemon-Squeezy

It doesn't bother me, but like other have said some people will be bothered. I have a friend who wants me to do a cosplay from a show I've never seen so their group can be complete. I'm going to do it anyway. If someone gets butthurt over it then they need to grow up.

(And it's one thing if /you/ feel you shouldn't do a cosplay because you don't know the fandom. Or maybe are upset only because you thought you found someone to talk to the fandom about. It's different from getting all pissy that someone cosplayed something because they liked to design, did it for a group, or whatever and weren't really into the series)

Kastucon 2014
Austrian Succession Spain
Cowboy America

Otakon 2014
Daenerys Targaryen
Austrian Succession Spain
Mistral - .hack
Kofuku - Noragami
Lemon-Squeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
belligerent
Viking Metal

I only cosplay Homestuck because I lost a bet...and I somehow became more tumblr famous (which is extremely important) for that character than I am for characters from series I'm a fan of. I've never read homestuck, either. So if you want to do it, I would say go for it. If somebody gives you lip service, tell me who it is, and I will personally see to it that nobody holds the door for them some time when they have their hands full of grocery bags.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I'm not that big into Vocaloid, but I decided (for actual non cosplay reasons lol) to cosplay Akaito....
1. I love red and black together....So that's a good reason..
and
2. I get to carry my matching guitar around and play songs on it haha
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

You can cosplay whoever you want for whatever reason you choose. Just don't be surprised if you come across some people who will give you problems for not knowing anything about the series. In the Homestuck fandom, a lot of the cosplayers like to make references and engage in a bit of roleplay, so if you know nothing about the character it will make interactions with other Homestucks a bit awkward.